ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Options to SMAART  (Read 12112 times)

Art Welter

Re: Options to SMAART
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »

Damn it, my post has been Ivanated*.

I'm going to use it for personal use only and on fewer than 3 systems. I don't need it to make money, I don't care about anyone else's systems, all I want is simple diagnostics derived from speaker output. I.E. Is the system tuned flat. I do not want to spend much money or I would have simply bought SMAART, again. I have a two channel interface, and have all the mics, laptops, Ipads, systems, etc. I'll ever need for this purpose, plus, I don't care if the product supports 100 channels or 1 channel. I do not want complexity, I want cheap. Why? Because I'm 64, near the end of my game, and want to be able to realize a benefit from the product before I fucking die.
Bob,
Jason Joesph's suggestion:

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

REW AUTO EQ

Is not only free, but as far as I know does everything my old SMAART 6.0 does, as well as a few things SMAART doesn't.
From what I have seen of test results using REW, it appears to be the equal of SMAART, with the same GIGO problems associated with any measurement tool, especially one requiring a computer interface.

Although I have been too lazy to adopt it yet, it is still on my horizon because it can provide the data sets needed to implement FIR filters, which I may eventually get around to implementing on the BSS Blue 100 DSP I purchased to do just that, before I realized fully that there is a lot of math and other convolution programs involved to "get er done".

If you would like a nifty little stand alone 1/3 octave RTA (plus a variety of cord testers and such), I have an "Audio Toolbox" (the good old bulletproof aluminum box version) that I'd sell cheap or trade for a hollow body electric.

Art

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 03:35:35 pm »

Bob,

REW AUTO EQ

Is not only free, but as far as I know does everything my old SMAART 6.0 does, as well as a few things SMAART doesn't.
From what I have seen of test results using REW, it appears to be the equal of SMAART, with the same GIGO problems associated with any measurement tool, especially one requiring a computer interface.

Although I have been too lazy to adopt it yet, it is still on my horizon because it can provide the data sets needed to implement FIR filters, which I may eventually get around to implementing on the BSS Blue 100 DSP I purchased to do just that, before I realized fully that there is a lot of math and other convolution programs involved to "get er done".

If you would like a nifty little stand alone 1/3 octave RTA (plus a variety of cord testers and such), I have an "Audio Toolbox" (the good old bulletproof aluminum box version) that I'd sell cheap or trade for a hollow body electric.

Art

Art, check out RePhase (freeware) for FIR design. You can import TF measurements from any platform supporting ASCII export and watch the measured bode plot change as you move sliders. Once you have a filter on the GUI that looks good, it will design and optimize as close as it can get given n user defined taps, and (IIRC)show you the completed filter TF including ripple.

I think CSV export isn't there, but the filter coeeficients file can be renamed a .csv and loaded successfully into symnet (YMMV w/ BSS,  but likely similar)

Lyle Williams

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 04:36:42 pm »

I don't know if REW will do a live transfer function.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 06:34:54 pm »

I don't know if REW will do a live transfer function.

It will not do live TF, but i think it will record a sweep and compute a TF from that.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:37 pm »

Bob,

REW AUTO EQ

Art

Thanks Art. I've just downloaded the program and may have time for it tomorrow. From the looks of it the program seems to have many of SMAARTs features, and the price is just right.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 01:19:30 am »

but my thought process is you can probably sell the genuine SMAART software/hardware when you 'fucking die' while the knock-off stuff won't be worth much money.

How do you sell something when you die?  I need to get in on this as I have always wondered if I have a heart attack (good odds 50yrs, overweight and a smoker), stroke (ditto) or crash my plane what the hell my wife with do with all this shit?  I mean she doesn't even know what the stuff she knows about is worth let alone all the shit she doesn't know about. 

This is a real fear, she may sell something worth 10k at a garage sale for $20.00 Argggggg.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 03:51:23 am »

This is a real fear, she may sell something worth 10k at a garage sale for $20.00 Argggggg.

The alternative is to tell her about everything and how much it costs.

This may be a self fulfilling prophecy though.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 04:53:05 am »

How do you sell something when you die?  I need to get in on this as I have always wondered if I have a heart attack (good odds 50yrs, overweight and a smoker), stroke (ditto) or crash my plane what the hell my wife with do with all this shit?  I mean she doesn't even know what the stuff she knows about is worth let alone all the shit she doesn't know about. 

I would assume that a suitable friend, work colleague or whatever that has the required knowledge and contacts would be happy to help?

k

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 10:42:40 am »

I would assume that a suitable friend, work colleague or whatever that has the required knowledge and contacts would be happy to help?

k

I would hope so, I always also introducing a bit of levity at the comment I originally quoted.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 02:17:36 pm »

...crash my plane what the hell my wife with do with all this shit? ....

What is it that you do sire ?
My RTA is always flat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 02:17:36 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.