ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Options to SMAART  (Read 12111 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Options to SMAART
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 04:34:55 pm »

Now we're getting someplace. And I resent being called old.

PS - I couldn't find as price for DI.

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/store/smaartdi.html
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 04:50:28 pm »

$600 is too much. I'll be in a nursing home before I get to realize an ROI.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:03:13 pm »

That's the pricing that encouraged me to go with the iPad app.....

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 05:47:38 pm »

$600 is too much. I'll be in a nursing home before I get to realize an ROI.

If you don't need dual channel, REW is a heck of a good free program IMO.  Add a $75 usb mic from miniDSP and you don't even need a mic box.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 08:08:15 pm »

Damn it, my post has been Ivanated*.

Of course the real reason for my post was to not only get you (but mainly OTHERS) to think about what they need in a measurement system.

After all, on forums it is also a good idea of other people can learn as well as the original poster.

For example if somebody asks about buying a new car.  But FIRST you have decide what you/they need out of a vehicle.

Do they need to carry a number of people (like a passenger van), or pull a trailer (like people here) or do they want a sports car.

Defining the real needs really helps someone narrow down the possibilities.

I totally understood what and why you were asking, but it never hurts for other people to learn as well.

Hence my response.

BTW, I love your new noun----------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 09:06:24 pm »

Thank you Ivan, and you know for a fact that if I didn't like you and think highly of your expertise I wouldn't throw a zinger at you every once in a while.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:03 pm »

Thank you Ivan, and you know for a fact that if I didn't like you and think highly of your expertise I wouldn't throw a zinger at you every once in a while.
Thanks-I took it for all the "fun" intended.

I started laughing when I read the first line :)

Thanks for the smile.

Yeah-I admit sometimes I go a bit "overboard".

But if you think forum posts are "enthusiastic", you should see me in private.  NO NO-not that kind of private, but in a situation where I can say what I really feel.

And Yes, the other kind as well------------------but we won't go there-for fear of everybody spilling coffee on their computers :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 11:21:45 pm »

So the Studio Six is $19 for the base app and $79 for the "Transfer Function" dual channel FFT utility that does what I think Bob is trying to do.  The $500 for their trick battery powered veg-o-matic interface to enable every option they have is a bit much.  But if you can work up a stereo interface the software is pretty cost effective.  I can probably amortize before the nursing home calls.

Peter Morris

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 01:31:14 am »

Years ago, many years ago, I used my licensed copy of Smaart whenever need, but never upgraded the product. I've looked into the upgrade and the new license would cost almost as much as buying a new version without the upgrade. On top of that the system I used is no longer compatible, and I can't find most of the rest of the hardware I used at the time. I'm also at a point where it makes absolutely no sense for me to put together a new system, and I doubt that if I did put a new system together, that I would realize the benefits of that system.

I have a newish Ipad, a good USB interface, and have heard there is a single channel app that might make sense for taking quick measurements of system performance. That may be a good option in my case, and if there are others, could someone enlighten me please.

Thank you all.

I had the same issue I bought Smaart when it was first released from Sam, then from JBL, then EAW, then Loud. I had already spent a fortune on it then they sold it again.

Rational then wanted to charge me almost as much as the new price to upgrade from version 5.

The upgrade cost form version 6 was OK but it was a bit of a dog so I hadnt upgraded Enough was enough so I bought Systune - they gave me a better deal and the product had a much more stable history.

It now looks like Rational have sharpened their pencil a little. FWIW Jamie Anderson and his crew are good guys.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:00:18 am by Peter Morris »

Mike Hedden

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:47 am »

Damn it, my post has been Ivanated*.

* Ivanated. Noun, The process of using knowledge to add complexity, which although always very much appreciated, is in some cases not fucking needed. / The tendency to lengthen posts with technical knowledge which is in some cases not germane to the subject.

Example. Bob was checking his post for some recommendations to SMAART when he encountered an Ivanated response. It took so long to read Bob had a stroke and his question is lost in the translation, with Bob being unable to type ever again. (you wish)
\

I believe its actually a verb, but the definition is spot on remember we live with him! 8)

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:47 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.