ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I plug a mixer into a mixer for the effects?  (Read 14373 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Can I plug a mixer into a mixer for the effects?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »

Okay, let's say that you do EQ "old school" with separate EQ and analyzer with pink noise. You're using the read out on the analyzer to set the EQ no? What you're getting can't distinguish real sound from reflected sound either.
Bingo!  It was a common understanding on this board when I was here 10 years ago that you needed a "time blind" FFT system to eq with if you want to do it "scientifically".  Any single point averaging measurement is going to be affected by the room and how the various cancellations and standing waves line up at that point in space.

You can do it really old school and walk the room averaging out the sound in your head and eq'ing to get the best overall balance.  But averaging RTAs are only good for studio or home hi-fi with a single fixed listening position.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

Bingo!  It was a common understanding on this board when I was here 10 years ago that you needed a "time blind" FFT system to eq with if you want to do it "scientifically".  Any single point averaging measurement is going to be affected by the room and how the various cancellations and standing waves line up at that point in space.

You can do it really old school and walk the room averaging out the sound in your head and eq'ing to get the best overall balance.  But averaging RTAs are only good for studio or home hi-fi with a single fixed listening position.

That is old thinking.  Now that the tools are available on the entry level gear to begin to mitigate the destructive interference the whole concept has changed.  I don't know anyone who tunes a SoS gig with pink noise or an analyzer.

You put on a well known track and walk the room with your iPad and tweak the EQ on the main output.  I get much better results than with an old graphic at FoH.

If you have an iPad or an Android download the Behringer x32 app and try it in demo mode.  You will be stunned at the ease of use.  You can't compare it to a DRPA.  BTW the DRPA have been replaced with a model with a graphical interface on a tablet or a computer.  Same with band manager for the Crown DSP amps.  You can get this even in the low end Crown amps.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Vanderslice

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »

That is old thinking.  Now that the tools are available on the entry level gear to begin to mitigate the destructive interference the whole concept has changed.  I don't know anyone who tunes a SoS gig with pink noise or an analyzer.

You put on a well known track and walk the room with your iPad and tweak the EQ on the main output.  I get much better results than with an old graphic at FoH.

If you have an iPad or an Android download the Behringer x32 app and try it in demo mode.  You will be stunned at the ease of use.  You can't compare it to a DRPA.  BTW the DRPA have been replaced with a model with a graphical interface on a tablet or a computer.  Same with band manager for the Crown DSP amps.  You can get this even in the low end Crown amps.

It's great that you and others have enough experience that you can do all of this by ear, but for those of us who do an occasional gig, that becomes difficult. After what I'm sure is several years, and numerous gigs, you get to where you know almost instinctively what frequencies need to be addressed. There are also those who for other reasons need a little help from technology. With that said, I did in fact enjoy reading the responses. "time blind" FFT system???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.