ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Soviet Rotary Switches  (Read 20839 times)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Soviet Rotary Switches
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »

or separate them by dozens of yards (or meters if you're in the UK)

Yards please.  We invented the imperial system.  You don't think we're going to give it up that easily do you?!!

In fact, by law, all of our road signs must be in miles or yards and speed limit signs in MPH.

And on the subject of Bakelite, we have a Bakelite museum in England which I visited a few years ago.  It has just about everything you could imagine made out of it and it occupies four floors of an old mill.

http://www.bakelitemuseum.co.uk/postcards.htm

Steve
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:26:05 PM by Steve M Smith »

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »

Yards please.  We invented the imperial system.  You don't think we're going to give it up that easily do you?!!

Steve

I might have an opportunity to visit England next year, and if so I'll meet you for a pint (or two). Pints, not liters, correct?

Steve M Smith

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 03:43:36 PM »

I might have an opportunity to visit England next year, and if so I'll meet you for a pint (or two). Pints, not liters, correct?

Oh yes.  Proper pints of proper dark beer served at room temperature!

And remember, an imperial pint is 20 fluid ounces whereas yours are only 16.  So that's lots of extra beer!

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »

Oh yes.  Proper pints of proper dark beer served at room temperature!

And remember, an imperial pint is 20 fluid ounces whereas yours are only 16.  So that's lots of extra beer!

Steve.
I don't know about Isle of Wright (Isle of right?) but I never has a problem finding cold beer in copious volume in England. As a home brewer I very much prefer the ales (and bitters, and stouts, and ...) of England to the pilsner style so popular in Germany no matter how proud they are of their beer purity laws.

For fun, get in a decent sized pub and see how many different "black and tan" combinations you can mix up without repeating yourself...  8)

JR

PS: Speaking of warm beer the old joke was because Lucas electric made the refrigerators in England.   ;D Seriously I recall being in Germany on NATO maneuvers back in 1970. They provided those little electric immersion heaters used to warm up a cup of water to make tea or instant coffee, to the locals so they could warm up their beer.  ???  Good beer doesn't need to be served ice cold to conceal bad flavors. We stored our German flippies (flip-top beer bottles)  along the outside edge of our army tent to keep them at the perfect temperature for early morning consumption, until we needed to get up to go outside and take care of the next pressing matter.   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »

Isle of Wight (Wright isn't right).

I have never seen the point of cold beer unless the intention is to hide its lack of taste as the cold makes it impossible to taste it.

Proper beer shouldn't be warm, it should be room temperature - which it would be if it were kept in a broken Lucas fridge!

Although I have never seen a Lucas fridge.  Frigidaire used to be the majority here when I was younger. Perhaps the motors were made by Lucas.

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:54:15 PM by Steve M Smith »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »

Beer, Ew.

(Yes, I know, I've not lived or something. But I just do not like beer.)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »

Isle of Wight (Wright isn't right).

I have never seen the point of cold beer unless the intention is to hide its lack of taste as the cold makes it impossible to taste it.

Proper beer shouldn't be warm, it should be room temperature - which it would be if it were kept in a broken Lucas fridge!

Although I have never seen a Lucas fridge.  Frigidaire used to be the majority here when I was younger. Perhaps the motors were made by Lucas.

Steve.

A few years ago I repaired an old, smaller Whirlpool refrigerator; the evaporator fan motor was made by Electrolux in Sweden.  The compressor assembly is still going strong so I'm not sure of its origin.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 09:40:27 PM »

Even though I'm Hungarian I have a Russian last name thanks to a spelling mistake on Ellis Island with my grandparents.

I think that happened to a lot of people.

"Your name?"

"Eero Jääskaläinen"

"Welcome to America, Eric Yancy"
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »

Here's an idea of what to mount the "Discombobulator" in. It's a tactical case that's just the right size. I can get a phenolic panel for the inside to mount the rotary switches, and have still have enough space on the side to put a removable receptacle for remote training. There's an engraving shop down the street that could probably engrave the lettering next to the switches right in the phenolic. I plan to mark the positions as follows.

L - for Line
N - for Neutral
G - for Ground
O - for Open
C - for capacitive leakage to simulate ghost voltages.

What do you think? Descriptive enough? Russian font lettering maybe? ;D

Also, it should have a pilot light to show that it's plugged into AC power.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:26:06 PM by Mike Sokol »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.