ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Soviet Rotary Switches  (Read 20838 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: Soviet Rotary Switches
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »

(No fair changing the switch position mid-test!)
That is called an intermittent problem!
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »

Seems like the miswired receptacles should be much safer by comparison.  Be  cool exercise for students-see if they can use the tools at hand to determine what, if any problems exist in a receptacle.  (No fair changing the switch position mid-test!)

I hadn't thought of hiding the setup switches, but that's a great idea. I just need to design it with a little cover over the 3 switches, set up a problem, then let the students try all sorts of test procedures to determine what's wrong with the receptacle wiring. This would be a really great test for electrician and inspector training.

Since I bought a 10-pack of these switches, I could build 3 of these Discombobulator test stations with an extra Soviet rotary switch left over for another project. Guess I've got to buy 3 project boxes now.

BTW: I plan to build this into a plastic project box rather than an aluminum (or is it aluminium?) box since I don't want to take the chance of shocking someone if the incoming EGC ground is incorrect. I'll draw up the wiring diagram next week, but it's really simple in principal.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 09:36:12 AM »

I plan to build this into a plastic project box rather than an aluminum (or is it aluminium?)

With those switches it has to be a bakelite box.

And as for that other point, think about some of the other elements such as Einsteinium, Francium, Neptunium, Plutonium, Californium and Amercium.... No need for Aluminium to break that trend!

Steve.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 10:46:26 AM »

I don't know how the other kids in school feel about it, but I enjoy this class.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »

I thought we were boycotting the ruskies since their adventure in the Ukraine. I guess a few switches won't boost their economy that much.

JR

Actually, per the auction listing, these are coming from Bulgaria, so we're safe. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »

Actually, per the auction listing, these are coming from Bulgaria, so we're safe. :)

-Ray
Kool... never mind.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »

-Ray

What a surprise that all the old soviet stuff has already been smuggled out of country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 01:39:41 PM »

Well Bulgaria was communist-bloc so this was probably all stuff that was shipped there for actual use. Then when the Soviet Union collapsed, I would think plenty of records of who had what could have been easily lost. You know, switches, guns, plastique explosive, trucks, tanks, the odd nuclear weapon or three… heh.

-Ray

(Who then proceeds to waste ten minutes reading the Wikipedia page on Bulgaria)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Sokol

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »

You know, switches, guns, plastique explosive, trucks, tanks, the odd nuclear weapon or three… heh.

Slight topic veer (my specialty): one of the studios in my area collects vintage Russian synthesizers. Most of them are pretty noisy and feel like cheap plastic, but you can't deny the chic look of all the Russian labeled controls. If you want to waste even more time online, here's a link to the Museum of Soviet Synths. http://www.ruskeys.net/eng/base/aelita.php

Don't know if they're properly grounded or not, so maybe they could shock you. See.... we're now back on topic.  8)

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »

With those switches it has to be a bakelite box.
Well, we call it phenolic here, but I agree this needs something with vintage style. I've found a bunch of phenolic electrical boxes that might work. I'm now thinking this could be in two small boxes with an interconnecting cable. One box would have the 3 rotary switches for setting up the problem, while the other box would have a duplex receptacle. I could put both boxes next to each other for my video presentations, or separate them by dozens of yards (or meters if you're in the UK) for a classroom test.

This is too much fun... ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.