ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastic power strips in wall cabinet  (Read 1800 times)

John Rutirasiri

Plastic power strips in wall cabinet
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:13:31 PM »

I was replacing an amp in a wall cabinet and found a $5 plastic power strip tucked away in a corner.  I thought this was a no-no -- "temporary power tap" meant these things should not be used in an enclosed rack?  The previous installer secured the power strip to the cabinet by drilling holes and putting bolts right through it. 

Other questionable things I found were plugging THREE power amps into a 15A power strip (different strip), 70V transformers sitting on the bottom of the cabinet unsecured, reusing 15 year old equipment, etc.

I showed the customer the plastic power strip with the bolts going through it.

I'm thinking if I don't get rid of that plastic power strip and it later melts, the first thing the lawyers will ask is "you knew it's not code, why didn't you replace it?" 

What's your take?

Thanks,
John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Plastic power strips in wall cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »

I was replacing an amp in a wall cabinet and found a $5 plastic power strip tucked away in a corner.  I thought this was a no-no -- "temporary power tap" meant these things should not be used in an enclosed rack?  The previous installer secured the power strip to the cabinet by drilling holes and putting bolts right through it. 

Other questionable things I found were plugging THREE power amps into a 15A power strip (different strip), 70V transformers sitting on the bottom of the cabinet unsecured, reusing 15 year old equipment, etc.

I showed the customer the plastic power strip with the bolts going through it.

I'm thinking if I don't get rid of that plastic power strip and it later melts, the first thing the lawyers will ask is "you knew it's not code, why didn't you replace it?" 

What's your take?

Thanks,
John R.

Replace it. The damn thing likely has a blown MOV in it anyway. Be sure the replacement has no surge suppressor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Plastic power strips in wall cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.