ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How is Dante routing stored  (Read 8618 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: How is Dante routing stored
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »

They don't produce media
What do you mean by media?
Just to be clear, I'm talking about an iOS Via app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »

What do you mean by media?
Just to be clear, I'm talking about an iOS Via app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By media I mean the stuff that transports the data, a tcp/ip network for example. They expect a network running to specific standards in order to deliver a specified number of streams from one or more devices to other devices. They don't engineer or supply the network. I don't expect them to get into that business.  WIFI is a network  and it is difficult to make it meet Dante requirements.

That is all I was saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »

By media I mean the stuff that transports the data, a tcp/ip network for example. They expect a network running to specific standards in order to deliver a specified number of streams from one or more devices to other devices. They don't engineer or supply the network. I don't expect them to get into that business.  WIFI is a network  and it is difficult to make it meet Dante requirements.
They also don't engineer or supply the generic hardware that via connects to, but they did create the driver/interface to make it Dante compatible. It's not much of a stretch to think that they can also create an app or driver to do the same for iOS, even if it's over WiFi.
-Andy

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »

They also don't engineer or supply the generic hardware that via connects to, but they did create the driver/interface to make it Dante compatible. It's not much of a stretch to think that they can also create an app or driver to do the same for iOS, even if it's over WiFi.

True, but WIFI is a different beast completely, for a couple of reasons:

1) The network speed varies (a lot) .
2) The latency of wifi networks can be extremely high - well outside the operating buffer of Dante devices.

Dante operates in Layer 3 of the OSI model. It lives within TCP/IP. All the chaos of making wifi work lives beneath that, and TCP/IP is none the wiser. It just waits patiently for packets to arrive. This creates a problem for any time-sensitive serial data transmission though. If you can't guarantee the network performance (in either the bandwidth or time domain) then you have to get into the world of codecs and long buffers in order to achieve an acceptable end user experience.
Clocking is also basically impossible over WIFI, you have to have a system that allows devices to be asynchronous.

This is completely outside of the Dante technical ecosystem. The point of Dante is that its low latency, and un-compressed. All devices are synchronous.

So its actually a big stretch to go from wired to wireless networks in this example. Especially if you wan't to stay at Layer 3.
Riedel Communications

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
How is Dante routing stored
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »

I wonder if Dante would traverse something like Air Fiber, or other wireless link that behaves like a gigabit LAN.
I Think that it would although it would probably depend on how many channels you are passing and the latency of the link.

I did an install at a studio which I had also speced in a high end wireless and wired network. When I was testing the Dante I had music playing from my laptop which was wired to the network and going to a QL1. I unplugged my laptop and went to go do something else and a few seconds later the music came back on when my laptop auto connected to the wifi...

I wouldn't rely on wifi at all but with a stable low latency link like airfiber I bet it would work.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:04:06 PM by John J Saunders »
John Saunders

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »

Yeah, not concerned with high reliability or low latency - I'll use regular audio wireless for those purposes. Just have so many situations where being able to stream a feed to an iPad just for monitoring or paging or other uses. Being able to do it without another computer in line would be really useful in so many situations.
-Andy

David Buckley

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »

I wonder if Dante would traverse something like Air Fiber
A contributor on another forum noted that Dante over the 2GB AirFibre link works just fine.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 06:53:18 PM »

A contributor on another forum noted that Dante over the 2GB AirFibre link works just fine.

A moot point if the iOS device doesn't have an AirFibre transceiver.
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 06:53:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.