ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't decide what to buy. 4 eaw k650z or 4 JBL srx835p.  (Read 31346 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Can't decide what to buy. 4 eaw k650z or 4 JBL srx835p.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »

So I went into GC yesterday and gave the new SRX a listen and really like the way the sound at higher volumes. The problem is I already own 2 amp racks set for tri-amp operation that was powering old JBL cinema speakers. While I don't have the UX8800, I was wondering if it was worth it to buy the 4 eaw @$3500 now, do one or two shows with the current xover which is a dbx223xs. The components are the same in each rack 1 QSC rmx1450, 1 QSC rmx1850hd, 1 QSC rmx2450, with the xovers. The SRX will cost me 1k per cabinet. The gigs are mostly going to be outside concerts +-2500ppl in 350ft field with multiple local bands. We are planning on building scaffolding so we can get them at the proper heights. They don't need stupid loud volumes but need clarity. The styles of music will be a little bit of rock and country. I also will be renting 4 martin ws218x to put underneath either cabinets.

TL,DR eventually properly powered and processed eaw650z or srx835p

If you liked the SRX800 powered series, the unpowered version should be coming out soon.

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »

+1  ...  But ... to get the most out of the 650's you need to run them 3-way plus a sub. Cross the sub to the 650 as high as 110hz to 120hz and they will produce some very serious SPL - and of course use a UX processor as mentioned above.
Bob, the guy is selling all 4 for a total of $3500 with the ep connection cables. I do have two racks of amps as mentioned above (qsc rmx, not great I know) that can run 3 or 4 way systems. The original question was is it best to buy these now and acouple months down the road get the ux8800 and better amps.

Thanks.
Brandon
My apology for mixing the STX and the SRX 800 series, and I'll agree that the KF650z is a better cabinet than the SRX835P. That doesn't mean that a high end entry level box can't hold it's own though, and I seriously doubt the 650 will turn the JBL SRX835 into a "smoking pile of ash".

My mental comparison and initial remarks were based on the STX 835 passive box, which I have no doubt will hold it's own against the 650, and I'll base that comment on having listened closely to both cabinets under power and being pushed very hard. That's a big statement for a box that usually sells for about half what the 650 costs, but I'll stand by it.

OK, so enough of the Chevy Ford thing. I see the OP is able to purchase four of the 650's for $3500. I have to think that will be per cabinet, but even then I find this to be an incredible price for a cabinet that usually sells for around $5K. If this is true and the OP has the $14,000, plus the cost of the amplifiers, subs and processing needed to make the system whole I suggest he buy the 650's. The only other cabinet I might recommend as compared to the 650 would have to be out of JBL's VP series. Of course the price is comparable, however, the powered VP's are ready to run out of the box, DSP and all, and with no doubt they can more than hold their own.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

Bob, the guy is selling all 4 for a total of $3500 with the ep connection cables. I do have two racks of amps as mentioned above (qsc rmx, not great I know) that can run 3 or 4 way systems. The original question was is it best to buy these now and acouple months down the road get the ux8800 and better amps.

Thanks.
Brandon

Get a UX right away.

What is wrong with RMX amps. They are a great amp, just heavier than some newer ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »

Nothing only that the pots are currently dirty (dexoit day coming up) and I'm to busy to pull them out of the rack.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »

Thanks.
Brandon

If you can pick up 4ea. 650s for that kind of money, if you have the need, and if they're all working and in decent shape I would think the only thing stopping you from buying them would be an anchor tied to your ass. Buy the cabinets, then buy the processor. Question answered, problem solved. Have fun.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »

Thanks.
Brandon

The other part of the question was should you get KF650's or SRX835.

I think Bob was trying to help you in your decision. It appears you have already done that a long time ago.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:19:54 PM by Jamin Lynch »

John Penkala

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »

Get a UX right away.

What is wrong with RMX amps. They are a great amp, just heavier than some newer ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1

Get the UX immediately and keep the amps you have. The 650z's don't require the kind of power the newer boxes do to reach high SPL's. Down the road you will want to get a larger amp for the 15's. However, you should be fine by entering accurate information in UX limiter fields.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:22:06 PM by John Penkala »

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »

Thanks, the main problem i was having  was that I was thinking I needed two of them at first, but I could run the amps in parallel for now. Definitely worth getting one ux8800 with the kf650z and later getting another one so I have two systems.

John Chiara

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »

Thanks, the main problem i was having  was that I was thinking I needed two of them at first, but I could run the amps in parallel for now. Definitely worth getting one ux8800 with the kf650z and later getting another one so I have two systems.

If you don't need the extra features the UX 3600 is half the price or less.

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »

If you don't need the extra features the UX 3600 is half the price or less.

That is what I meant, not the ux8800.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.