ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't decide what to buy. 4 eaw k650z or 4 JBL srx835p.  (Read 20426 times)

Brandon Scopel

Re: Can't decide what to buy. 4 eaw k650z or 4 JBL srx835p.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:55 pm »

Oh, dang those are cheap, Im leaning towards the eaw.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 08:12:11 pm »

They work, but they won't sound anywhere near as good as the UXxxxx. Or the JBL. But I would imagine that the eaw rig will flat outrun the JBL nine ways to sunday.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »

They work, but they won't sound anywhere near as good as the UXxxxx. Or the JBL. But I would imagine that the eaw rig will flat outrun the JBL nine ways to sunday.

I wouldn't count on that Tim.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 10:01:42 pm »

Bob, are you saying that the srx rig will be pretty comparable, and that it is the better choice?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 11:28:00 pm »

I love the kw153's.  Unfortunately I have not heard them side by side.  I have heard the 153 on several occasion and thought they were awesome.   A 153 over two 181's is an awesome rig. That's what I was originally going to do until the srx800 came out. 

For you, the move may not be worthwhile for the cost.  You have a killer rig.

Don't get me wrong, the 152's are great sounding speakers but don't sound anywhere near as big and open.  I did compare the 152's to the srx815 and found similar results.  The srx was a better sounding speaker.  I'm sure the 3 inch hf driver was probably key to the jbl sounding smoother but they still sounded bigger and more open than the 152.

I heard the kw181 next to the srx818.  The srx sounded bigger but necessarily much louder.  I did prefer the jbl but I will always love the kw181 and think they sit perfectly in a band mix. I was originally going to add two more 181's but when I realized I could get a pair of dual 18 srx's for about $600 (non-retail) more than a pair of kW181's it was a no brainer.  Then I went stupid and also got the 835's.

I was able to sell some other powered gear I had to supplement the purchase.  If you could sell and top dollar it may be worth it but if I had your rig from the get go, I'd probably stick with it.

Edit - the way the 835 outperforms the 152 is fullness, clarity, and overall sound definition.  As expected with a 3way box you could hear define subtleties that I can't with the 152.  When being pushed the 152 as well as the smaller qsc's can get a little sizzle from the horn.  The srx835 doesn't do this and neither did the srx815 when I tested them together.  On that note I've never heard the the kw153 get the sizzle and I'm sure it's due to the 3way design and crossover.   The 153 is a huge sounding speaker as well.  i would be perfectly content with my qsc rig but I needed to add and the logical step for me was bigger.  I'll use my qsc 152 setup for smaller stuff and the jbl for larger.  The 152 makes and awesome drum monitor so that's a win there when I use the jbl.

To me the throat size of the 153 is still a limitation.  They don't sound as clean when pushed as does a larger throat box.  I don't think it is a marketable difference so I am staying put.

I also have HPR 152's and agree it's an all around great speaker but we have pushed them and the HPR122's to drum monitor duty.

All told I have 1 pair HPR 153's, 1 Pair KW 153's, three pair KW122's, 2 pair of HPR 122's  and 8 KW181's so we have a substantial investment in QSC. 

To me the HPR153's sound a little nicer (especially in midrange) than the KW's but they are heavy, I can get the KW153's on top of two 181's myself.  I can't with the HPR's. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion and validating my choice.  I think I just have new gearitis.  FIR filters, HiQ net I get as excited as a kid in a toy store.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:23 pm »

I know that the JBL's are a leap forward for MI cabinets, but you can't compete with the fully horn-loaded, 10" mid and 2" horn of the eaw. Its just physics. The eaw's will be humming along when those JBL's are a smoking pile of ash.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 12:35:52 am »

Ahhhhhhh thanks Tim.

Peter Morris

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 04:15:07 am »

I know that the JBL's are a leap forward for MI cabinets, but you can't compete with the fully horn-loaded, 10" mid and 2" horn of the eaw. Its just physics. The eaw's will be humming along when those JBL's are a smoking pile of ash.

+1  ...  But ... to get the most out of the 650's you need to run them 3-way plus a sub. Cross the sub to the 650 as high as 110hz to 120hz and they will produce some very serious SPL - and of course use a UX processor as mentioned above. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 08:36:32 am »

My apology for mixing the STX and the SRX 800 series, and I'll agree that the KF650z is a better cabinet than the SRX835P. That doesn't mean that a high end entry level box can't hold it's own though, and I seriously doubt the 650 will turn the JBL SRX835 into a "smoking pile of ash".

My mental comparison and initial remarks were based on the STX 835 passive box, which I have no doubt will hold it's own against the 650, and I'll base that comment on having listened closely to both cabinets under power and being pushed very hard. That's a big statement for a box that usually sells for about half what the 650 costs, but I'll stand by it.

OK, so enough of the Chevy Ford thing. I see the OP is able to purchase four of the 650's for $3500. I have to think that will be per cabinet, but even then I find this to be an incredible price for a cabinet that usually sells for around $5K. If this is true and the OP has the $14,000, plus the cost of the amplifiers, subs and processing needed to make the system whole I suggest he buy the 650's. The only other cabinet I might recommend as compared to the 650 would have to be out of JBL's VP series. Of course the price is comparable, however, the powered VP's are ready to run out of the box, DSP and all, and with no doubt they can more than hold their own.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:40:17 am by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 08:42:59 am »

Used 650's are pretty cheap. There's a rig here in Texas thats been for sale for a while that's 30k. 8 stacks of 650/850 with amps and processing. And he can't get rid of it for that price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 08:42:59 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.