ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Honda EU3000iS gennys in parallel  (Read 25094 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Honda EU3000iS gennys in parallel
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 05:21:44 pm »

The load is still shared, and all your power is tied together.  The only limitation is that you have 4 20 amp outlets (2 duplex) and two 30 amp outlets.  You don't have a 50 amp outlet.

Hmmmm..... So linking the two EU3000is generator with the straight parallel cables would allow you to use a pair of 30-amp/120-volt twist locks for the stage and lighting power, plus the four 20-amp "Edison" outlets could be run for back-line power. Since these are quiet enough to live close to the stage, maybe I don't need 100 ft of distro. But I would certainly put a fan next to them to blow the fumes away from the stage.

Interesting way to rethink power distro. Thanks for the mind experiment...
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Guy Holt

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »

Hmmmm..... So linking the two EU3000is generator with the straight parallel cables would allow you to use a pair of 30-amp/120-volt twist locks for the stage and lighting power, plus the four 20-amp "Edison" outlets could be run for back-line power.... Interesting way to rethink power distro. Thanks for the mind experiment...

Where you can get that from two EU3000s operating independently of each other, why parallel them. The only reason I can see in paralleling them is to obtain a larger 45A/120V circuit.  I never saw a reason to paralleling EU3000s when you can get a 60A/120V circuit with an EU6500 and a small 7.5KVA step down transformer. For more details about paralleling the Hondas see http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/emailnewsletter_generators.html.

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip
www.screenlightandgrip.com

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:25 pm »

Hmmmm..... So linking the two EU3000is generator with the straight parallel cables would allow you to use a pair of 30-amp/120-volt twist locks for the stage and lighting power, plus the four 20-amp "Edison" outlets could be run for back-line power. Since these are quiet enough to live close to the stage, maybe I don't need 100 ft of distro. But I would certainly put a fan next to them to blow the fumes away from the stage.

Interesting way to rethink power distro. Thanks for the mind experiment...

Without looking at my EU3000is that's on the trucků I believe the 2 20A outlets are breakered as one 20A circuit. So you have the L5-30 circuit, limited to 23.3A, and then the 20A outlet, and that's it.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 11:14:21 pm »

Without looking at my EU3000is that's on the trucků I believe the 2 20A outlets are breakered as one 20A circuit. So you have the L5-30 circuit, limited to 23.3A, and then the 20A outlet, and that's it.

-Ray
Interesting,  I just looked around the web and found EU3000is pictures with and without breakers.  I looked at 3 manuals and none have any AC breakers at all.  There is a over current light.  Apparently it has been made with and without.  I wonder what the current model has. 

Perhaps adding the breakers and eliminating the 50 amp kit are related.
Not to Code

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 07:45:49 am »

Interesting,  I just looked around the web and found EU3000is pictures with and without breakers.  I looked at 3 manuals and none have any AC breakers at all.  There is a over current light.  Apparently it has been made with and without.  I wonder what the current model has. 

I'll find out as soon as I pick up the genny. My contact at Honda did confirm they had discontinued the parallel kit for the EU3000is models, but didn't say why. But I'll call him after I get a look at the new generator and do a little discovery.
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 11:45:10 am »

I purchased my EU3000is last June. It doesn't have breakers as in single poles; it has the white "Push To Reset" buttons that most smaller Honda generators have. But, the markings appear quite specific: you have a 20A circuit shared by the two 20A receptacles, and you have a 30A circuit dedicated to the L5-30 twistlock, BUT you only get 23.3A out of it.

-Ray

(Picture Time!)
Kelcema Audio

Mike Sokol

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 12:30:38 pm »

I purchased my EU3000is last June. It doesn't have breakers as in single poles; it has the white "Push To Reset" buttons that most smaller Honda generators have. But, the markings appear quite specific: you have a 20A circuit shared by the two 20A receptacles, and you have a 30A circuit dedicated to the L5-30 twistlock, BUT you only get 23.3A out of it.

-Ray

(Picture Time!)

I see that it still has the "Parallel Operation" connectors, but Honda doesn't manufacture a parallel kit for it. Interesting...
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 01:15:21 pm »

I still don't get the parallel bit.  Does it make them run in synchronisation to give you 46.6A from a single circuit?  If not, I don't see the benefit (but it's possible that I'm just being stupid!).

Steve.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 01:37:49 pm »

I still don't get the parallel bit.  Does it make them run in synchronisation to give you 46.6A from a single circuit?  If not, I don't see the benefit (but it's possible that I'm just being stupid!).

Steve.

Yes,  The second generator started syncs it's inverter to the first so the load can be shared.

Aftermarket kit for the EU3000is
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330117_200330117
Not to Code

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 03:39:58 pm »

I see that it still has the "Parallel Operation" connectors, but Honda doesn't manufacture a parallel kit for it. Interesting...

They DID manufacture it... again, bought mine a year ago this month, so def possible that was something that was disco'd in the last year.

From my purchase, more picture time! Woo hoo! Here's the different options they have...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 03:39:58 pm ┬╗

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.