ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you guys use for a FoH facade?  (Read 5087 times)

Sean Schult

• FlashFire Productions
What do you guys use for a FoH facade?
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:18:34 am »

Outdoors I normally use a pop-up canopy and frame it in with tables and cases. But those kind of gigs don't require me and my equipment to be hidden; as long as the cables are neat and out of harm's way, life is good.

But what about indoor? Corporate, dance recital, location theatre, whatever. I need to setup FoH sometimes (hate stage-side mixing) but it needs to look nice as to not detract from the event. I've seen guys that have what looks like crowd control fencing covered in black cloth, and they frame out an area using that. It's like a DJ facade almost, but black cloth. High enough to conceal your stuff and make you less noticeable, low enough that you can see over it. What is it called so I can actually seek it out? Is there something better?
FlashFire Productions

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore/Amsterdam
Re: What do you guys use for a FoH facade?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:26 am »

Outdoors I normally use a pop-up canopy and frame it in with tables and cases. But those kind of gigs don't require me and my equipment to be hidden; as long as the cables are neat and out of harm's way, life is good.

But what about indoor? Corporate, dance recital, location theatre, whatever. I need to setup FoH sometimes (hate stage-side mixing) but it needs to look nice as to not detract from the event. I've seen guys that have what looks like crowd control fencing covered in black cloth, and they frame out an area using that. It's like a DJ facade almost, but black cloth. High enough to conceal your stuff and make you less noticeable, low enough that you can see over it. What is it called so I can actually seek it out? Is there something better?

Pipe and drape.

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:59:07 am »

Try searching for "scrim".  Some places also list "DJ booth" but those are not inconspicuous.

Some venues will loan you a tablecloth to drape FOH gear, that will give you a color/texture match to the dining tables, just be sure to ask when you advance the gig.  The event planner may be renting them from the food vendor and not the venue.
Opinions are like belly buttons.  Everybody has one, but not all are suitable for public display.

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:40:10 am »

For a large gig, pipe and drape. For most medium or small gigs, we have 2 black tables we own with table covers and matching chairs that dress up FOH mix nicely and fit neatly into the trailer pack. They are even treated for flame resistance in case a difficult fire marshall felt the need to call us on it.

~Dave

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:54:28 am »

banjo cloth pipe and drape
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:36:28 am »

black duvetyne or commando cloth
Scott Hofmann

Matthew Knischewsky

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:10:20 am »

"Tech Surround" is a type of short pipe and drape used to conceal FOH or any other areas where you may want to hide equipment, personnel etc.

Sean Schult

• FlashFire Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 01:24:46 pm »

"Tech Surround" is a type of short pipe and drape used to conceal FOH or any other areas where you may want to hide equipment, personnel etc.
Ah ha! Those are the search words that I've been looking for. How simple yet elusive lol. Thanks all for your input!
FlashFire Productions

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 03:49:41 pm »

Pipe and drape is a generic phrase for exhibit and trade show display goods.  Typically banjo cloth which is inherently flame retardant and available in an array of colors.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:28 pm »

Here's from a few years ago.  Small cultural festival (Christmas event).  We requested a table (for FOH) exactly like what they use for other displays/vendors - this ensured we wouldn't have something that would stick out.  We used regular fold out chairs (nothing that would sit higher than everyone else).

Then, we cover everything in black cloth (breathable); the back of the FOH board (Yamaha board), and the top and back of both racks all covered (though, we had fans in the back of the racks to keep them cool).  The black cloth was more than long enough to drape over everything and reach the ground.  The producers thanked us for keeping a "low profile".  The view from this picture shows a small part of the hall; and of the events taking place.

We do this event every year; same setup/covers/location/etc... (except all new equipment since the time of the photo).

Pay no attention to the comb filtering with the speakers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:28 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.