ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Studio Design power amplifiers from the 1970s  (Read 27769 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Recording Studio Design power amplifiers from the 1970s
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »

I noticed the Carlson cabinets in your photo, Ivan. Here's a pic from our set-up in the early 70's. Note the Carlson cabinet in the middle.
I know Gauss used to sell a single version of the Karlson.  The Maryland sound "full clams" were a quad setup, with JBL2205s or 2225s standard.

This same concept was carried over into "the tube" HF horn.  I have one in my collection.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:17 PM »

What PA amps did you have ?
We built our own. Massive 100w amps. You can see one behind the drums with a few cables going to it. That's the PA. The speakers were on either side of the backline with large paging horns. Nothing was mic'd except the vocals. Each keyboard had it's own amp/speakers, and the organ used 2 Leslies. VERY old-school.....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

duane massey

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 05:09:07 PM »

There are actually 4 Karlson's in the pic. Three have grills. These 4 were the bass rig. At one time we had a pair of the tubes. This was at a high school dance. You can see two of our lights in the back as well, made from industrial food containers (yep, square tin cans) with 300w R40 lamps.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 05:31:12 PM »

. You can see two of our lights in the back as well, made from industrial food containers (yep, square tin cans) with 300w R40 lamps.
My first lights were made from the gallon cans I got from the cafeteria.

I would cut the bottoms out of all but one and braze them together.  I put 3 together  to help narrow the beams.

I then mounted a porcelain socket in the bottom and put a 150 watt spot light in it.

For gels I used the colored report covers I got from the book store.  There was no place to buy gels from without a several hour drive.

The brackets were bent aluminum strips.

Hey- you gotta start somewhere :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 05:31:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.