ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1977 Peavey CS-800 Amplifier not outputting fully?  (Read 16901 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: 1977 Peavey CS-800 Amplifier not outputting fully?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »

Those amplifiers were designed so even Peavey customers couldn't blow them up very easily.

If the output was a dead short you would have gotten no sound at all... So it was only a partial short, perhaps an ohm or two ohms. It is not good for the amp but they are designed to take a licking and keep on ticking, so no worries.  Just stop doing that. A lesser amp would release it's smoke.

JR
I remember the first CS800 I repaired. I called the factory to see if there were any special tests to do.

They said to short the terminals and drive the amp into full clip until it thermaled out.  There is a temp switch that disconnects the AC from the amp when it gets to hot.

Let it cool off and then retest.  If it tests fine, then the repair is good.

I did not believe them-and asked several times to be sure.

So I tested it the way they suggested and it worked.

Agreed that most amps would not survive that test-especially back then.

So the amps is very well designed that you can hook as many speakers to it as you want and it will keep on working.  Yes the power will drop when you get below 4 ohms, but you won't blow up the amp.

That is a GREAT design.  There is a lot to be said for products the average musician can't tear up. :) 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mitch Philips

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »

That is a GREAT design.  There is a lot to be said for products the average musician can't tear up. :)

This is very true. I went to this 4th of July concert last year and the entire rig was custom made by the owner, but the owner wasn't there so he let his son, who was I want to say 22, control the rig. Well, the the concert sounded kind of funky. The subs were custom built using a design by Tom Danley which utilized his folded horn design. They sounded surprisingly good but, whenever there was a kick drum, the subs would immediately get quiet for 1-2 minutes then come back online.

I'm not sure what he thought was going on but he turned the subs way up after that (to compensate?) then something pretty interesting happened.

As it turns out, the amplifiers were going into protect mode. He did not know this until about half way through the concert when one of the grips started noticing smoke from the amp rack. He managed to burn up one of the amplifiers and damage another in the process.

Dirk Bolle

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 07:49:38 PM »

i remember purchasing a CS 800 S - the switched version - that had the DDR lights lit and no audio. (got a great deal, thats' why i bought it.) called peavey, got a tech on the line who said, after i described the issue, said "And the fans are blowing like crazy, right?" I answered in the affirmative. he replied, "it sounds like them damn sensistors - i thought we caught all of those." told me how to change them, ("it's easy") gave me the part number, switched me to parts who charged me a buck each for 4, including shipping, i believe. (he was right, they were broken) That amp's still runs strong today. never had service like that. no request to send it in or anything. just assumed the customer was smart enough to fix it. great company.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:33:57 AM by Dirk Bolle »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »

i remember purchasing a CS 800 S - the switched version - that had the DDR lights lit and no audio. (got a great deal, thats' why i bought it.) called peavey, got a tech on the line who said, after i described the issue, said "And the fans are blowing like crazy, right?" I answered in the affirmative. he replied, "it sounds like them damn tempsistors - i thought we caught all of those." told me how to change them, ("it's easy") gave me the part number, switched me to parts who charged me a buck each for 4, including shipping, i believe. (he was right, they were broken) That amp's still runs strong today. never had service like that. no request to send it in or anything. just assumed the customer was smart enough to fix it. great company.

BTW you need to use your real name...(its the rules). 

For the rest of the story about those broken sensistors, it was an old part that we had used in earlier versions of CS amps (to sense heat sink temp). Right around the same time as the CS800S rolled out, the vendor selling Peavey the sensistors changed their production over to China to reduce cost. Purchasing got a number of engineering samples that all tested out fine and didn't break... BUT the real parts coming from China were not very robust and broke if you looked at them sideways. A broken temp sensor reads like a very hot amp... The vendor finally got their act together but the early days of the CS800S were more stressful than they needed to be.

JR   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »

A little off topic. lately I have been on a retro kick for my home stereo stuff.  Part of me is thinking a couple of modern Danly mains (they had a set of "studio" speakers at CES that were like a wire with gain right to my ears) plus a couple of modern Danly subs with a tube amp on the mains and a PV CS amp on subs.  Any inherent LF cut in these amps?  I think It would be a pretty kick ass setup.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Mitch Philips

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »

Any inherent LF cut in these amps?

When we got this CS800 amp, right out of the box it did not have any sort of LPF. HOWEVER, Peavey did give us the option to select from a wide variety of crossover modules and I remember the option of a LPF module that can be used with these CS-800s.

I do not know if these are still available. But this seems like the kind of thing you are looking for.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:14 PM »

When we got this CS800 amp, right out of the box it did not have any sort of LPF. HOWEVER, Peavey did give us the option to select from a wide variety of crossover modules and I remember the option of a LPF module that can be used with these CS-800s.

I do not know if these are still available. But this seems like the kind of thing you are looking for.
I have a nice Ashley analog XO.  I am more wondering if the amp has some sort of low end cut that is higher than I would want it to be.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Mitch Philips

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 09:36:07 PM »

I have a nice Ashley analog XO.  I am more wondering if the amp has some sort of low end cut that is higher than I would want it to be.

Oh then no. This amp can go all the way down to 10Hz just fine.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:24:01 PM by Mitch Mockary »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »

A little off topic. lately I have been on a retro kick for my home stereo stuff.  Part of me is thinking a couple of modern Danly mains (they had a set of "studio" speakers at CES that were like a wire with gain right to my ears) plus a couple of modern Danly subs with a tube amp on the mains and a PV CS amp on subs.  Any inherent LF cut in these amps?  I think It would be a pretty kick ass setup.

I don't have anything memorized but I wouldn't use the CS800 as a sub amp... While the LF response goes down decently, probably something like -3dB at 10-15Hz  or something like that, I do recall one big time bass artist that tried to use a new light weight CS800S in his bass rack, and he kept tripping the DC speaker protection circuitry. IIRC we modified his amp to work OK, but in general there are probably more appropriate sub bass amps.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber