ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do I place my eq's  (Read 11945 times)

Joseph Ugalino

Re: Where do I place my eq's
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »

Rider does say 4 seperate monitor mixes

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 03:10:58 PM »

Rider does say 4 seperate monitor mixes

Just curious, but how did you come to get a job where there are specific rider requirements when you have no experience in providing what's called for?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »

How flat is your mains system?  Do you normally run eq on that?  Or do you already have that end covered?

That mixer doesn't have 4 pre-fader aux sends.  2 of the sends will follow the channel faders.  You could fake it but you really can't provide 4 discrete monitor mixes.  You either need something like a modern digital board or something like an Allen & Heath MixWiz (which can be had used for $3-400 and will sound better and be more reliable anyway, and actually does have "British eq and preamps" being designed and built in the UK)

Somehow, this sounds like a folk group singing harmony.  Typically you run one monitor mix and let them blend themselves.  They also tend to stand fairly close on stage, within earshot of multiple monitors.  Having separate monitors means they have no idea what their balance or blend is.  Unless they can't sing their parts without having "more me" and then expect you to actively blend them.

In any event, I would still run each channel of eq between the mixers outs and the amps/speakers.  eq for monitors is somewhat different than the eq for mains and you don't want them tied together.

Joseph Ugalino

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »

Just curious, but how did you come to get a job where there are specific rider requirements when you have no experience in providing what's called for?

I wouldn't say I have zero experience.  I have provided 4 separate monitor mixes in the past, this is just the first time I'm going to add EQ.

Joseph Ugalino

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »

How flat is your mains system?  Do you normally run eq on that?  Or do you already have that end covered?

That mixer doesn't have 4 pre-fader aux sends.  2 of the sends will follow the channel faders.  You could fake it but you really can't provide 4 discrete monitor mixes.  You either need something like a modern digital board or something like an Allen & Heath MixWiz (which can be had used for $3-400 and will sound better and be more reliable anyway, and actually does have "British eq and preamps" being designed and built in the UK)

Somehow, this sounds like a folk group singing harmony.  Typically you run one monitor mix and let them blend themselves.  They also tend to stand fairly close on stage, within earshot of multiple monitors.  Having separate monitors means they have no idea what their balance or blend is.  Unless they can't sing their parts without having "more me" and then expect you to actively blend them.

In any event, I would still run each channel of eq between the mixers outs and the amps/speakers.  eq for monitors is somewhat different than the eq for mains and you don't want them tied together.

I don't normally run an EQ. I was thinking of adding an EQ for the mains if I put the EQ's that I just bought at the inserts. But from what your saying it sounds like even if I did put them at the inserts, I should have one for the mains anyway.

I was going to run them all post fader. I actually have a yamaha mg24 but will leave that in the van as back up.

Its actually a popular local reggae band. From what others have said, they like it loud. They'll be fairly near each other, this is not a 1000 person venue, maybe 300 at the most. Im thinking that the gear I'm providing is actually overkill.

You can get a feel for the venue by taking a look at this video from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxb5CCU7pSA
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:30:27 PM by Joseph Ugalino »

Joseph Ugalino

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »

That mixer doesn't have 4 pre-fader aux sends.  2 of the sends will follow the channel faders.  You could fake it but you really can't provide 4 discrete monitor mixes. 

I can't have 4 discrete monitor mixes unless I have 4 pre-fader aux sends?

EDIT: I get it, if I adjust faders for the main mix the monitor mix will be affected.... I could send each vocal to individual subgroups and control the main mix of vocals there couldn't I?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:46:14 PM by Joseph Ugalino »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »

If you have a Yamaha MG24/14FX why bother to buy the less capable Behringer analog mixer?  Spend that money on better eqs.  With the boom in digital boards all kinds of folks are dumping pro level eqs like Klark Technic or Ashley.  You don't need the auto indicators on those FBQ things.  Having dealt with ones that people had in their PAs, those things turn stuff to mud anyway you try to work it.

Yes, in an analog set up it is common to have graphics on every output.  You have good speakers so you shouldn't need a ton of correction.  Just a spot here and there.

That Yamaha will drive 4 separate monitor mixes (pre-fade) and still allow effects.  Which I would expect a reggae band will at least want some delay.  The issue may be stage volume.  Don't know how loud they play vs. wanting it loud out front.  You may want to raise the wedges up on milk crates or something to get them closer to the singers.  The built in angles presuppose that the singer is 10' back from the wedge.

Joseph Ugalino

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »

If you have a Yamaha MG24/14FX why bother to buy the less capable Behringer analog mixer?  Spend that money on better eqs.  With the boom in digital boards all kinds of folks are dumping pro level eqs like Klark Technic or Ashley.  You don't need the auto indicators on those FBQ things.  Having dealt with ones that people had in their PAs, those things turn stuff to mud anyway you try to work it.

Yes, in an analog set up it is common to have graphics on every output.  You have good speakers so you shouldn't need a ton of correction.  Just a spot here and there.

That Yamaha will drive 4 separate monitor mixes (pre-fade) and still allow effects.  Which I would expect a reggae band will at least want some delay.  The issue may be stage volume.  Don't know how loud they play vs. wanting it loud out front.  You may want to raise the wedges up on milk crates or something to get them closer to the singers.  The built in angles presuppose that the singer is 10' back from the wedge.

Firm believer in back up/redundancy which is reason for buying the xenyx2442 for this gig. Plus the yamaha is big and pretty old, couple channels don't work. Prefer to have yamaha as backup because I have an SKB case that fits the xenyx2442 as well as the EQ's (Less cable work at gig). Did I mention the yamaha is big? Why do I even have the mg24/14fx? It was cheap and stays in the van as back up for my little Yamaha MG10 on normal gigs. Oh yeah, did I mention the yamaha is big?  :)

I don't see many people raising the monitors from the floor, don't know how well it will go over with the band but will give it a try, I can easily remove them from on top of the crates if they don't like it.

To be honest I think I'm just star struck because they sing one of my favorite songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfeoHTeL7Jo
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:31:32 PM by Joseph Ugalino »

Joseph Ugalino

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 07:41:45 AM »

So I picked up a 3rd fbq3102 for my mains. When I wire this in, is it okay to use the "insert" on the mixer for the mains? Or should I go from XLR main out of mixer -> to the in of fbq3102, then out of fbq3102 -> to in of my mains?

John L Nobile

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 07:52:08 AM »

So I picked up a 3rd fbq3102 for my mains. When I wire this in, is it okay to use the "insert" on the mixer for the mains? Or should I go from XLR main out of mixer -> to the in of fbq3102, then out of fbq3102 -> to in of my mains?

I always choose inserts if available.
BTW,  raising monitors to ear level is great in theory. I've always had mine there. But I found a lot of musicians like them further away. Especially guitar players. They seem to have evolved to grow ears in the back of their knees.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 07:52:08 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.