ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware controlled Dante Patching  (Read 9514 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: Hardware controlled Dante Patching
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 02:38:41 AM »

Robert seems to think it would work...
Here it is explained in more detail how it is supposed to be setup and work:

http://dev.audinate.com/GA/dante-controller/userguide/webhelp/#device_names_and_channel_labels.htm

However, murphy's law is always around...

As for switchover time it should be "within just a few seconds":

http://dev.audinate.com/GA/dante-controller/userguide/webhelp/#discovery_and_auto-configuration.htm
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:50:05 AM by Robert Lofgren »

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 05:56:28 AM »

I built a playback system that uses 2 computers outputting audio simultaneously into a Radial SW8 switcher so if there's a problem with one computer, I can flip a switch to go to the backup computer almost instantly.

Since the rig they run into is now using Dante, I would love to do away with the soundcard and interface, SW8, preamps, etc. and have the computers output their signal using DVS directly.
Obviously in the case of a failure, I could switch outputs using Dante Controller, but that would be too slow and problematic, even if I was using a preset, and it needs to be able to be switched by anyone, ideally using a hardware switch like before. Can a Dante Controller preset be recalled somehow with a hardware switch?

Is there another way to do this? I guess the switching could be done at the consoles, but again, it needs to be a simple remote switch that can be actuated by anyone.

Suggestions?

Just thinking out loud here.

There are Dante-enabelled products with headphones outputs and possibilities for listening to one stereo stream at a time.  The new and very cool Appsys "Dante->many formats"-bridge comes to mind.

Any chance the two computers could be routed via a router through a unit like the Appsys bridge with one computer being ch 1+2 and the second being ch 3+4, then someone could just arrow one up/down and hit enter to route the alternative source to the headphones output, and then that could be used as the audio output?

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 05:58:22 AM »

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think as well. Now, with a FOH and MON console both needing to be remotely switched at the same time, that's a bigger trick. If I were able to use control signals down the Dante line (the way the CL/QL does with communication between Nuendo Live and the console) that would be a slick solution without the need for extra GPIO lines running to FOH.

MIDI-> ethernet-boxes running on the redundant network of the audio gear?  We all know you are the MIDI-Gandalf around here:)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Hardware controlled Dante Patching
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »

MIDI-> ethernet-boxes running on the redundant network of the audio gear?  We all know you are the MIDI-Gandalf around here:)

I think you mean MADI
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:07:35 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 08:41:44 AM »

I think you mean MADI

I meant that if he wants to trigger stuff on a remote console, but doesn't want to run GPIO-cables, perhaps he could set up a device to trigger the same events via MIDI. 

Considering the console is already part of a network (two actually, counting redundant), the network could be used to get the MIDI-commands from a remote controller to where the console is, by using a MIDI->ethernet / ethernet-MIDI extender system and just "piggybacking" it's data traffic on one of the networks.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »

I

IP MIDI would work fine. Kissbox make a nice I/O box
Riedel Communications

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »

I meant that if he wants to trigger stuff on a remote console, but doesn't want to run GPIO-cables, perhaps he could set up a device to trigger the same events via MIDI. 

Considering the console is already part of a network (two actually, counting redundant), the network could be used to get the MIDI-commands from a remote controller to where the console is, by using a MIDI->ethernet / ethernet-MIDI extender system and just "piggybacking" it's data traffic on one of the networks.

IP MIDI would work fine. Kissbox make a nice I/O box

It's already built-in, just not documented.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:46:17 AM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »

It's already built-in, just not documented.

IP MIDI is built in to the console?  Which console?  If it's a CL5, that would solve an issue for me....

Or did i misunderstand?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »

IP MIDI is built in to the console?  Which console?  If it's a CL5, that would solve an issue for me....

Or did i misunderstand?
Not IP MIDI, but MIDI communication via LAN (in their own format) is done for the CL/QL Editor communication.
A similar system is used for the CL/QL communication with Nuendo Live, but through the Dante connection instead of the Editor connection.
I'm doing work with both systems currently. Contact me via my web site if you'd like to discuss in more detail.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.