ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware controlled Dante Patching  (Read 9521 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: Hardware controlled Dante Patching
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »

I wonder if two Dante devices with the same name, one on the primary, one on the secondary, would be seen as one redundant device....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 11:11:39 AM »

ATM the most interesting idea is naming the devices the same and using a CAT5 switchbox.
I won't be in front of the gear for quite some time so I'd love to know if anyone has any details on how long it takes for audio to reappear after swapping devices in this scenario.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think as well. Now, with a FOH and MON console both needing to be remotely switched at the same time, that's a bigger trick. If I were able to use control signals down the Dante line (the way the CL/QL does with communication between Nuendo Live and the console) that would be a slick solution without the need for extra GPIO lines running to FOH.

If you have enough I/O perhaps you could take the double sets of inputs to one desk then send them post fade to auxes which go to dante and are picked up by the second console.  Then if you're using a console with macros have it on a button to mute one set and unmute the set of inputs and the second console never has to do anything.  Just need 8 free auxes, or busses, or use a matrix, whatever gets the job done.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »

If you have enough I/O perhaps you could take the double sets of inputs to one desk then send them post fade to auxes which go to dante and are picked up by the second console.  Then if you're using a console with macros have it on a button to mute one set and unmute the set of inputs and the second console never has to do anything.  Just need 8 free auxes, or busses, or use a matrix, whatever gets the job done.

Why would you need the auxes? You could use post fade direct outs. Then the changeover only has to happen at first console, and the second console can leave them all live. The changeover could be automated as previously mentioned with a tone track from the primary system as the key input to a gate on all the backup tracks, although I think I would be more confident in a manual switch that used GPIO to activate the changeover via mutes. The old mute system on the DM2000 was perfect for this, you could have a single mute group with the primaries turned on and the backups turned off and do the switch by hitting the ON/OFF button of any of those channels.

Mac

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »

Why would you need the auxes? You could use post fade direct outs. Then the changeover only has to happen at first console, and the second console can leave them all live. The changeover could be automated as previously mentioned with a tone track from the primary system as the key input to a gate on all the backup tracks, although I think I would be more confident in a manual switch that used GPIO to activate the changeover via mutes. The old mute system on the DM2000 was perfect for this, you could have a single mute group with the primaries turned on and the backups turned off and do the switch by hitting the ON/OFF button of any of those channels.

Mac

I was thinking of a system that would present as a single set of 8 channels at the second console which wouldn't work with direct outs.  You're absolutely right that you could use direct outs (post mute) and then just present the same 16 channels at the second console. 

Alex Donkle

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »

Assuming you have a dante card for the mixing board, are there both "primary" and "redundant" Cat5 jacks on the card you could use, so the 2 audio paths are switched at the final Dante card?
Consultant

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »

Assuming you have a dante card for the mixing board, are there both "primary" and "redundant" Cat5 jacks on the card you could use, so the 2 audio paths are switched at the final Dante card?
Not sure what you mean here.
There would be 2 computers main and backup, each running DVS and a single CAT-5 coming from each. (AFAIK, there's no support for redundant CAT-5 connections using DVS)
I want to be able to manually switch from the main to backup with a hardware switch.

ATM all I would like to know is when 2 transmitting devices have the same Dante name and you switch the CAT5 from one to the other, what exactly happens? How long does the audio drop out for and what other issues arise from doing this?
-Andy

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »

Not sure what you mean here.

I don't either. DVS is only supported on the primary network so you can't use a secondary port.

Switching the Cat5 connection means you might have to have both sources patched to the same destinations in Dante Controller, I don't think it will allow that. If all Dante Controller looks at is the name you might be able to use the same name and IP address, but if it also looks at MAC addresses they won't match.

Mac

Alex Donkle

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »

I don't either. DVS is only supported on the primary network so you can't use a secondary port.

From my understanding, you can setup a crosspatch in DVS between both ports, which does show up as a crosspatch error, but is fully functional and passes all audio channels (assuming everything is on the same wordclock).
Consultant

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »

Switching the Cat5 connection means you might have to have both sources patched to the same destinations in Dante Controller, I don't think it will allow that. If all Dante Controller looks at is the name you might be able to use the same name and IP address, but if it also looks at MAC addresses they won't match.

Mac

Robert seems to think it would work...
I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but dante have this nice feature for device backup.

If you name two or more devices with the same name (and they are not connected to the network at the same time) you can disconnect one device and connect the other one and it will retain the routing configuration.
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.