ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini cables for mobile devices  (Read 6197 times)

Steven Welwood

Mini cables for mobile devices
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »

Most of the 1/8" cables I've used require the case to come off the phone or player I want to use it with. Can anyone recommend a brand that makes 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" that works with mobile devices?

Bonus if the cable isn't bulky, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Mini cables for mobile devices
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »

Most of the 1/8" cables I've used require the case to come off the phone or player I want to use it with. Can anyone recommend a brand that makes 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" that works with mobile devices?

I commonly just take a Dremel tool and "mill" the plug housing a bit so it can reach through the access port on my OtterBox case -- carefully.

...dave
..db

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »

Monoprice has these - they have worked fine for me.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Steven Welwood

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:04:23 PM »

I commonly just take a Dremel tool and "mill" the plug housing a bit so it can reach through the access port on my OtterBox case -- carefully.

...dave

Yes, I suppose that's one option. I admit I don't usually consider taking power tools to my cables!  :o

Steven Welwood

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »

Monoprice has these - they have worked fine for me.

That's the connector I need, but I was hoping to not have to use an adapter or second cable to arrive at dual 1/4".

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »

I hate this problem. Do headphones go in the whole way without taking the case off? I don't own a smart phone to check? Doesn't make sense how headphones could work but cables don't.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steven Welwood

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »

I hate this problem. Do headphones go in the whole way without taking the case off? I don't own a smart phone to check? Doesn't make sense how headphones could work but cables don't.

Some do, some don't. Hopefully headphone and cable makers will recognize the problem and start making all mini plugs compatible with mobile devices and cases.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »

Some do, some don't. Hopefully headphone and cable makers will recognize the problem and start making all mini plugs compatible with mobile devices and cases.

Or better yet maybe case manufacturers will recognize that their cases are not compatible with the majority of accessories. Make the hole bigger.

I think the cables fit in the phone just fine. The problem is the case, the solution should be the case maker's.

Mac

Steven Welwood

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »

Or better yet maybe case manufacturers will recognize that their cases are not compatible with the majority of accessories. Make the hole bigger.

I think the cables fit in the phone just fine. The problem is the case, the solution should be the case maker's.

Mac

Yup, that would make more sense.

In the meantime, what is everyone using to get audio from phones into their systems? Or is case removal the SOP?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »

Yup, that would make more sense.

In the meantime, what is everyone using to get audio from phones into their systems? Or is case removal the SOP?

Buy the little cable with whatever connectors are on the fan-out end, cut off those connectors and install your own 1/4" or XLR-Ms.

Or take the case off.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.