ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini cables for mobile devices  (Read 6105 times)

Steven Welwood

Mini cables for mobile devices
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »

Most of the 1/8" cables I've used require the case to come off the phone or player I want to use it with. Can anyone recommend a brand that makes 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" that works with mobile devices?

Bonus if the cable isn't bulky, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Mini cables for mobile devices
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »

Most of the 1/8" cables I've used require the case to come off the phone or player I want to use it with. Can anyone recommend a brand that makes 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" that works with mobile devices?

I commonly just take a Dremel tool and "mill" the plug housing a bit so it can reach through the access port on my OtterBox case -- carefully.

...dave
..db

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »

Monoprice has these - they have worked fine for me.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Steven Welwood

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:04:23 PM »

I commonly just take a Dremel tool and "mill" the plug housing a bit so it can reach through the access port on my OtterBox case -- carefully.

...dave

Yes, I suppose that's one option. I admit I don't usually consider taking power tools to my cables!  :o

Steven Welwood

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »

Monoprice has these - they have worked fine for me.

That's the connector I need, but I was hoping to not have to use an adapter or second cable to arrive at dual 1/4".

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »

I hate this problem. Do headphones go in the whole way without taking the case off? I don't own a smart phone to check? Doesn't make sense how headphones could work but cables don't.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steven Welwood

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »

I hate this problem. Do headphones go in the whole way without taking the case off? I don't own a smart phone to check? Doesn't make sense how headphones could work but cables don't.

Some do, some don't. Hopefully headphone and cable makers will recognize the problem and start making all mini plugs compatible with mobile devices and cases.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »

Some do, some don't. Hopefully headphone and cable makers will recognize the problem and start making all mini plugs compatible with mobile devices and cases.

Or better yet maybe case manufacturers will recognize that their cases are not compatible with the majority of accessories. Make the hole bigger.

I think the cables fit in the phone just fine. The problem is the case, the solution should be the case maker's.

Mac

Steven Welwood

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »

Or better yet maybe case manufacturers will recognize that their cases are not compatible with the majority of accessories. Make the hole bigger.

I think the cables fit in the phone just fine. The problem is the case, the solution should be the case maker's.

Mac

Yup, that would make more sense.

In the meantime, what is everyone using to get audio from phones into their systems? Or is case removal the SOP?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »

In the meantime, what is everyone using to get audio from phones into their systems? Or is case removal the SOP?

Buy the little cable with whatever connectors are on the fan-out end, cut off those connectors and install your own 1/4" or XLR-Ms.

Or take the case off.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

I just take a knife to the standard Hosa cable like I'm sharpening a pencil.  No dremel required.

FYI: The last Hosa 1/8" to dual-TS cable I purchased had an even larger 1/8" barrel than the previous ones I had purchased. 

You can always hack up one of those Monoprice cables and add a couple of TS connectors with a little soldering and heat shrink. (as just mentioned while I was typing)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 12:48:30 AM »

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 09:45:26 AM »

I just recently bought a handful of these.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5527

They are a little bulky, but they stay on the headphone cable pretty good and fit perfectly into my Lunatik case for my iPhone 6 plus. This case is metal and screws together via tiny allen heads. I'm not gonna take the case off everytime I want to plug into a PA.

I also bought the metal version of that adapter, but they all fell apart. That rubbery one in the link works the best.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »

I've been using these for years.

http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/6-ft-1-8-stereo-to-dual-phono-rca-plug-y-cable/4200495.html#.VXmZcFxViko

I use adapters to 1/4".  They have been some of the most reliable cables of this type that I've tried despite being from radio shack.  It's a great help to be able to pick one up local or on the way to a gig too.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »

http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/6-ft-1-8-stereo-to-dual-phono-rca-plug-y-cable/4200495.html#.VXmZcFxViko

I use adapters to 1/4".  They have been some of the most reliable cables of this type that I've tried despite being from radio shack.  It's a great help to be able to pick one up local or on the way to a gig too.
Was going to say that I have some Rat Shack cables with small barrels that fit in most cases.  But Rat Shack is no more.  I have an old iPod Nano that I use for walk in/break music and don't bother with a case on that.  Not really comfortable with leaving my phone sitting on the mixer in a lot of situations anyway.  Annoying if someone calls or texts you while the break music plays as well.

Steven Welwood

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 01:46:00 AM »

Thanks, this looks like the closest match to what I'm looking for. In following up on thesource.ca (replaced Radio Shack in Canada), I found similar cables from Nexxtech and Xtreme that appear to have a slim 1/8" connector.

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »

If you're hooking to an apple product, I would use the dock connector cable like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Stereo-Link-for-iPod/dp/B0007LI13U/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1434138331&sr=8-22&keywords=apple+dock+to+rca

If you shop around, you should be able to find one for $5 or at least under $10. The two main differences are a) the ipod will no longer be able to adjust the volume -- usually this is a good thing. and b) the connection is a lot better and stable. I've had issues with an 1/8" mini plug making static.

Steven Welwood

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 04:01:21 PM »

If you're hooking to an apple product, I would use the dock connector cable like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Stereo-Link-for-iPod/dp/B0007LI13U/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1434138331&sr=8-22&keywords=apple+dock+to+rca

If you shop around, you should be able to find one for $5 or at least under $10. The two main differences are a) the ipod will no longer be able to adjust the volume -- usually this is a good thing. and b) the connection is a lot better and stable. I've had issues with an 1/8" mini plug making static.

Thanks. This and the one suggested by Debbie a few posts up both look handy for iPhones, but I use an Android myself, and I need to be able to plug in anything that comes to me (including laptops) without switching lines.

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »

Thanks. This and the one suggested by Debbie a few posts up both look handy for iPhones, but I use an Android myself, and I need to be able to plug in anything that comes to me (including laptops) without switching lines.

I use 1/8" only as a last resort. For laptops I use a USB audio interface with XLR outs. So for android, iOS and laptops I have 3 different solutions. For laptops and iOS, the non-1/8" solutions have superior sound quality IMO.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »

Was going to say that I have some Rat Shack cables with small barrels that fit in most cases.  But Rat Shack is no more.  I have an old iPod Nano that I use for walk in/break music and don't bother with a case on that.  Not really comfortable with leaving my phone sitting on the mixer in a lot of situations anyway.  Annoying if someone calls or texts you while the break music plays as well.

If you have to use your phone always put it in airplane mode while using it as a playback device. That will eliminate any calls or notifications.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »

I just recently bought a handful of these.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5527

They are a little bulky, but they stay on the headphone cable pretty good and fit perfectly into my Lunatik case for my iPhone 6 plus. This case is metal and screws together via tiny allen heads. I'm not gonna take the case off everytime I want to plug into a PA.

I also bought the metal version of that adapter, but they all fell apart. That rubbery one in the link works the best.

I just got my delivery of these and they look to be just the thing. One in the adapter kit, one in the briefcase and one each on the Radial SB-5s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »

For my own devices, I just trim the case back a few millimetres.

For random devices that show up on the day I have some little 4-inch long 1/8 TRS extension cables that are particularly thin.  About a buck each off ebay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.