ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for Oscilloscope  (Read 2818 times)

Montez Carter

Recommendations for Oscilloscope
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:09:40 pm »

I am looking for a decent Oscilloscope to perform some Power Amplifier measuring on some dummy loads. I am looking on purchasing new Sub amps and I would rather look at what they are doing and listen to what they are doing to test on rated power on some of the newer light weight offerings. It's been way to long since ITT so if someone can recommend something decent not overly priced for that purpose it would be appreciated as I am seeing some PC options but have not researched enough on those.

Thanks,

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Recommendations for Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:46:20 pm »

I picked up a used Fluke 123 and absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:27:34 am »

I picked up a used Fluke 123 and absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate low end digital scopes, low resolution slow response time displays.

I have seen some lab grade stuff that is tolerable but insanely expensive.

For the OP's application he could get a PC scope, they work OK or something like the little Leader on my bench.  I have not dug out my big analog scope in a long time.   I have analog microphones laying around.  One of the nice things you can do if you are cheap is to get an old signal generator and use a lissajous pattern to zero beat the MIC to the Frequency reference (you have to figure out the IF to do this).  Once you know the TX is balls on you can set the receiver discriminator for 0 volts on a dead carrier.  (I love showing people cheap oscilloscope tricks, all borne out of necessity as a technician used to be expected to repair and maintain the gear not just operate it).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:09:01 am »

For audio a cheap analog 40MHz is pretty much all you need.  BK used to sell something that had a built in signal generator.  Or maybe it was Leader.  Probably the same scope.  Probably pick one up really cheap off fleabay from someone who bought one thinking they were going to do something and got tired of it taking up space.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:33:14 am »

Go to an electronics oriented flea market, ham fest or the sort.
Lots of older Tek scopes for sale. Any of the old 400 series is fine for audio.
I wish I had picked up a 466 when I could.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:04:37 pm »

I am looking for a decent Oscilloscope to perform some Power Amplifier measuring on some dummy loads. I am looking on purchasing new Sub amps and I would rather look at what they are doing and listen to what they are doing to test on rated power on some of the newer light weight offerings. It's been way to long since ITT so if someone can recommend something decent not overly priced for that purpose it would be appreciated as I am seeing some PC options but have not researched enough on those.

Thanks,
Rigol DS-1054Z. http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000Z/ds1054z/

Remember that virtually all scopes are referenced to earth ground, so you either need to measure things that can be referenced to earth, or use an active differential probe.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:04:37 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.