ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding IEC socketr to board case?  (Read 2025 times)

Steve Garris

Adding IEC socketr to board case?
« on: June 11, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »

I have a small digital iPad mixer in a small wood case, and would like to add an IEC male plug socket directly on the back of the case, then hard-wire or use adapters to get the power to a NEMA 3-plug in the case (board, router and iPhone charger need power).

Is there an easy way to do this? I started looking yesterday online at IEC screw-in outlets, but couldn't find any adapters as I had hoped. Thanks in advance for your reply's.

John Rutirasiri

Re: Adding IEC socketr to board case?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »

I have a small digital iPad mixer in a small wood case, and would like to add an IEC male plug socket directly on the back of the case, then hard-wire or use adapters to get the power to a NEMA 3-plug in the case (board, router and iPhone charger need power).

Is there an easy way to do this? I started looking yesterday online at IEC screw-in outlets, but couldn't find any adapters as I had hoped. Thanks in advance for your reply's.
I'm not sure you'll be able to find a male IEC panel mount to Edison female adaptor. 

I would just chop off the plug end of a power strip and solder the wires to the male IEC panel mount, using heat shrink tubing to cover any exposed conductor lugs.  You have the breaker in the power strip, but it'll be on the inside.

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:22:37 PM »

Steve, why not use a recessed 5-15P plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:29:15 AM »

Those are kind of large.  What about putting a flange mount PowerCon in the case?  Then you have a locking connector that takes up very little space.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:05 AM »

In my corner of the world solder isn't legal in power wiring...

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »

havent seen them with panel flange though
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »

In my corner of the world solder isn't legal in power wiring...

They sure do manufacture a lot of panel mount iec connectors with solder lugs though.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

George Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »

Second the powercon.  The regular D-series mount is easy to chisel out a recess for and it holds tight with a pair of screws.  I typically wire internally to a power strip or direct to a UPS.  I've done that with several racks.  I have a large number of edison to powercon tails though, so I'm almost never without one between my lighting and stage power.

The biggest downside was the one time I only took my mix rack and didn't have the powercon to edison cable with me.  Had to live without the UPS and borrow a power strip at the venue to get things going.  Other than that, I'll take a locking powercon any day over an IEC that often works loose but doesn't look disconnected. 

Go with either the original blue style inlet or the newer better True1 outlets.  Either should be fine according to Neutrik as long as you leave the gear in the case powered down during connection.  The original is supposedly not rated for connections under load.  Anecdotally though, I've done it many times stringing LED lights together or connecting up/tearing down my stage power snake and I've yet to have it melt or spark on me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.