ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo Alpha question  (Read 2987 times)

Andres Gomez

Nexo Alpha question
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:06:42 pm »

Hi All,

I know the Alpha is an "old" system, but I think it might still be quite useful.

A friend has an offer for a system (in very good shape) consisting  of:

4 M3
4 B1
2 S2
NX controllers (I think 2, but not sure)

+ two M8 horns for M3 cabs.

He organizes partys himself (techno, electronic, etc)  or smallish (< 2k) concerts.  I have heard the alpha and have always liked it, buy I have heard larger systems and never done any work with it.

I have a few questions:

1) can the M3 and M8 be sucessfully mixed in a stack (with one ch amp)?
2) if another two m8 horns are bought, how will that system do (2 m8+ 2  b1 + 1 S2 per side (I would guess 4 M2 would do much better there, buy I don't know first hand)?
3) he has a couple of mc2 amps, (E100 + E45+ E25).  The E100 could drive 3 B1 or one s2 per channel, and has 4 channels.  The E45 the lows on up to four M3's and the E25 the highs on up to four m3. I think this setup could work well.
4) I am afraid he will be limited with the number of boxes offered.  Has anyone here operated such stacks and can describe the types of gigs done with them?
5) if definitely necessary to go bigger, i've suggested 3 x m3 + 5 x b1+ 2 x s2 per side, because I've seen this suggested before, but I have no idea what can be done with this setup.  Any help?

Finally, the system is being offered for a very attractive price!

AG

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:21:59 pm by Andres Gomez »

Harry Brill Jr.

Re: Nexo Alpha question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:59:32 pm »

The M8 is almost useless. I wouldn't bother messing with it.  I suppose if you need an out fill on the side you could use it with 1 M3 per side on that.  I would in that case drive with a sep amp.

How do you stack a system that size?  Is it flown?  Checkerboarding doesn't work well stacked IMO.  I used the rig hundreds of times.

Ideal small stacked rig using what you have is

M3 M3
B1 B1
B1 S2
B1 XX

Preference would be to get another S2 and do this

M3 M3
B1 B1
S2 S2
XX XX

Then on the outsides when it's wide do
M3 or M8
B1
B1

You can also do this in a theater and use the fly hardware to connect all the fronts, put a block behind the bottom M3 to get the back UP and strap it down tight to the B1, then put another block in front in between the M3s to get the top M3s tilted back up.

M3 M3
M3 M3
B1 B1 S2
B1 B1 XX

If I was flying this rig it would be

M3 B1 M3
M3 B1 M3

Then on the ground

B1 S2
B1 XX

Alternative fly and sounds quite good is

B1 M3 B1
M3 B1 M3

Then on the ground

M3 or M8 for in fill or out fill
B1
S2
XX

But I would still prefer 2 S2 per side and I prefer front fills spaced across the entire deck edge to edge.

You are right, it's a great sounding PA.  In small numbers not much will beat it.  It's also light enough for one or two people to set up with no hands.  I routinely pushed a stack of 3 high up a ramp on to a truck with good wheel dollies on the bottom.

The rigging hardware may become scarce.  I'd get extras of all the hinges and front straps.  They are useful for stacking as well as flying.  The bumpers well taken care of would last for decades.

Andres Gomez

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:11:33 pm »

Harry, thanks a lot for your reply, I consider it very valuable given your real first hand experience with the Alpha.

One question:  I've played with nexo NS-1 and (obviously) get much smoother coverage from from to back to front when the tops are quite high, much above the level the S2 and B1 bring them to. Have you usually used those stacks directly on the ground or on top of something else (stage, dummy boxes, etc).

Regarding flying: does the use friendliness apply to rigging the system too?

The "ideal small rig" you propose has twice as many b1s as being offered, your "preferece" small stack has an extra s2. So I will advice my friend to look for a few more boxes  ;)

Question: when using stacks with two m3 don't you find the horizontal dispersion too restricted (in general, but specially outdoors)?  I've read some say they would not use less than 3 m3 per side, and therefore my interest in the m8 horn. Some said the 45 deg vertical of the m8 is also more convenient in small stacks...

When stacking, do you separate the boxes 4-5 inches on the front as usual or use them side by side?

Reading about the alpha here on the forum I've heard some recommend using proportions of m3 to b1 like this:

1:2
2:4
3:5
4:5
6:6

and m3 to s2 in constant 2:1.

Your suggestions are along these lines for the small stacks and a little more conservative when flying.  Your suggestion of using more s2 is new to me, but as said I really value your first hand experience (it means more amp channels tho  ::) ). 

One question: what kind of shows have you done with the stacked and flown setups you suggest (caps, area, music type)? That would be really helpful!

Your comment about the checkerboard is a surprise for me, I thought it sounded good as a stack!

One last question for now: do you have any remarks on the amps (MC2 E100, E45 and E25)?

On a side note, I find it perplexing how much opinions differ on the S2.  German forums tend to praise the M3, M8 and B1s, whereas the S2 receives lots of critique (stories of people using alternatives there).  Here, for contrast, the S2 is generally highly praised. I guess there is always some degree of personal taste here  ::)

For anyone interesed, I found this article on the alpha quite nice:  http://www.unrec.com/sunsonic/alpha-report.pdf
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:19:48 pm by Andres Gomez »

Rob Hughes

• Cadac home page
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:39:05 am »

Harry, thanks a lot for your reply, I consider it very valuable given your real first hand experience with the Alpha.

One question:  I've played with nexo NS-1 and (obviously) get much smoother coverage from from to back to front when the tops are quite high, much above the level the S2 and B1 bring them to. Have you usually used those stacks directly on the ground or on top of something else (stage, dummy boxes, etc).

Regarding flying: does the use friendliness apply to rigging the system too?

The "ideal small rig" you propose has twice as many b1s as being offered, your "preferece" small stack has an extra s2. So I will advice my friend to look for a few more boxes  ;)

Question: when using stacks with two m3 don't you find the horizontal dispersion too restricted (in general, but specially outdoors)?  I've read some say they would not use less than 3 m3 per side, and therefore my interest in the m8 horn. Some said the 45 deg vertical of the m8 is also more convenient in small stacks...

When stacking, do you separate the boxes 4-5 inches on the front as usual or use them side by side?

Reading about the alpha here on the forum I've heard some recommend using proportions of m3 to b1 like this:

1:2
2:4
3:5
4:5
6:6

and m3 to s2 in constant 2:1.

Your suggestions are along these lines for the small stacks and a little more conservative when flying.  Your suggestion of using more s2 is new to me, but as said I really value your first hand experience (it means more amp channels tho  ::) ). 

One question: what kind of shows have you done with the stacked and flown setups you suggest (caps, area, music type)? That would be really helpful!

Your comment about the checkerboard is a surprise for me, I thought it sounded good as a stack!

One last question for now: do you have any remarks on the amps (MC2 E100, E45 and E25)?

On a side note, I find it perplexing how much opinions differ on the S2.  German forums tend to praise the M3, M8 and B1s, whereas the S2 receives lots of critique (stories of people using alternatives there).  Here, for contrast, the S2 is generally highly praised. I guess there is always some degree of personal taste here  ::)

For anyone interesed, I found this article on the alpha quite nice:  http://www.unrec.com/sunsonic/alpha-report.pdf

I have flown and stacked more Alpha systems in my time than I would like to admit to, from the smallest of gig, all the way up to using it for major main-stage festivals such as Reading, T in the Park etc etc, with 24 M3's per side!
Harry's advice is very good and I agree with what he has posted, but the main thing with Alpha is trial and error, and you will eventually start getting a real 'feel' for how it works for any given venue.
I would say that the S2's are way better than the B2's, as they seem to work better as a sub, with more punch. B2's seemed to be less efficient and a bit more 'boomy'.

Rigging was pretty easy, stacking them 2 high on the wheel boards and wheeling them into place under the fly frame.
Be warned though that the flying straps for the front only have a tollerence of 2mm, meaning that if you ever fly a number of rows deep, then it can appear that you have rigged it incorrectly as the lower boxes don't always line up! I found this out the hard way flying large rigs outdoors and wondering why some collumns seems deeper than others!
Rob Hughes
UK Sales Manager
Cadac

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:04 pm »

Hi All,

I know the Alpha is an "old" system, but I think it might still be quite useful.

A friend has an offer for a system (in very good shape) consisting  of:

4 M3
4 B1
2 S2
NX controllers (I think 2, but not sure)

+ two M8 horns for M3 cabs.

He organizes partys himself (techno, electronic, etc)  or smallish (< 2k) concerts.  I have heard the alpha and have always liked it, buy I have heard larger systems and never done any work with it.

I have a few questions:

1) can the M3 and M8 be sucessfully mixed in a stack (with one ch amp)?
2) if another two m8 horns are bought, how will that system do (2 m8+ 2  b1 + 1 S2 per side (I would guess 4 M2 would do much better there, buy I don't know first hand)?
3) he has a couple of mc2 amps, (E100 + E45+ E25).  The E100 could drive 3 B1 or one s2 per channel, and has 4 channels.  The E45 the lows on up to four M3's and the E25 the highs on up to four m3. I think this setup could work well.
4) I am afraid he will be limited with the number of boxes offered.  Has anyone here operated such stacks and can describe the types of gigs done with them?
5) if definitely necessary to go bigger, i've suggested 3 x m3 + 5 x b1+ 2 x s2 per side, because I've seen this suggested before, but I have no idea what can be done with this setup.  Any help?

Finally, the system is being offered for a very attractive price!

AG

Yes, if you want a small format, punchy stack then what you have suggested will do just fine. Your MC2 amps will drive it just fine. OK, they are not the MA5000s that we used to drive it wth but they are also not wattless Camcos either.

You are llooking at a good, loud, easy to scale up system. If it ticks your box, go for it.

I always liked to go heavier on the B2s in small arrays, going up to a 1:1 ratio in large arrays.

My small stack was:

M3 M3
B1 B1
B1 S2
B1 S2

My "happy" stack was:

M3 M3
B1 B1
B1 B1 S2
B1 B1 S2

Our refinement of the classic "Nexo" stack was:

M3
M3 B1 M3
B1 B1 B1
S2 B1 S2
S2 B1 S2

This posted the middle box above head height as well (unlike the classic nexo stack which had to be on a riser) and gave a little thwack on the lower mid / kick.

The former did better for bands. If we were doing dance music. the simple stack was:

M3
M3 S2 M3
B1 S2 B1
B1 S2 B1
B1 S2 B1

The above system just projected more sub bass to the back of the room. It was not as clean or refined as the on before it, but it would animal you on the low end.

Depending on the gig, we did Alpha E or PS15s as infill and PS10s as front fill.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:04 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 25 queries.