ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 died randomly  (Read 23262 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: x32 died randomly
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »

Did you try it without the UPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »

Got the board back last week. It must have been a quick turnaround because I got the slowest shipping available and I'm up in PA. I put the console back in last night and everything seemed good then this morning the same exact thing happened. The console died and then wouldn't turn back on unless I let it sit for a few minutes then it would come one for a bit then shut off again. They clearly took the thing apart because all the screw heads are worn and the side panel wasn't on right. Looks like it's going to have to go back again. I was really hoping this was going to be the thing that brings me back to Behringer but I don't know now. I guess I should expect it with such the cheap price tag. Anyone have a similar experience? I'm not quite sure what I should do here.

I don't have any direct experience with this issue on an X32, but from what you describe, this sounds like a classic over heating example.  I would check that all of the fans are working properly and that all of the internal heat sinks are in place and tight.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

Which "pure sine wave" UPS...make and model?

Which Furman?

Why both?

There's a fair chance that it's a power issue.  Have you even metered the AC?  Do you know what else (if anything) is on that circuit/leg/branch?

Not nearly enough info...

Edit:

Agree about the heat..but still not enough info...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:18:16 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »

I don't have any direct experience with this issue on an X32, but from what you describe, this sounds like a classic over heating example.  I would check that all of the fans are working properly and that all of the internal heat sinks are in place and tight.

And if the mixer is in a case, that the mixer's bottom vents are not block by foam.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »

And if the mixer is in a case, that the mixer's bottom vents are not block by foam.
+1000. The X32 is chock full of temperature sensitive electronics, and it makes a lot of heat. Let it breathe.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »

+1000. The X32 is chock full of temperature sensitive electronics, and it makes a lot of heat. Let it breathe.

My personal X32 is in one of the early Gator hard cases with wheels.  Eventually the foam compressed enough under the mixer's feet that the bottom of the mixer was flat against the foam and that caused my mixer to overheat.  I cut piece of 1/4" Luan mahogany the same size as the the mixer bottom and put it on top of the tray foam.  There's enough flex that I'm not worried about physical shock, but it keeps the mixer up high enough that none of the vents are blocked.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

My personal X32 is in one of the early Gator hard cases with wheels.  Eventually the foam compressed enough under the mixer's feet that the bottom of the mixer was flat against the foam and that caused my mixer to overheat.  I cut piece of 1/4" Luan mahogany the same size as the the mixer bottom and put it on top of the tray foam.  There's enough flex that I'm not worried about physical shock, but it keeps the mixer up high enough that none of the vents are blocked.
Different material, but the same experience - although I figured it out before any overheating happened.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »

Different material, but the same experience - although I figured it out before any overheating happened.

It happened in our shop, 105° that day.  I had the mixer set up to play with the scene/show file saving, import/export etc and went to do other things.  Came back to find it not working, felt how hot it was and recalled previous discussion at SFN about the bottom venting.  Took it out of the case and it came back on in about 2 minutes.  Applied the plywood fix and it's never gone down again.

User error on my part, so I'm not blaming Berry or the price point of the console.

FWIW our SC48 runs very warm even indoors, but it's never had a thermal shut down indoors or outdoors.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »

The foam in those Gator cases will compress readily under the feet. I, too, figured it out before the overheating, and went to Home Depot and got a bunch of those little sample Formica pieces, double-sided taped two together, and double sided taped those under the five feet on the console. No sinking since, and much lighter than plywood.

Bummer about William's shut down problem. Does sound like an AC issue, or at least that's what I hope it is.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »

Any modern well made computer system will shut itself down after the on board sensors tell the system through BIOS that components have reached a critical temperature. Other, not so well made systems will do the same, because they fail. I personally would start by NOT plugging the system into a UPS and plugging the board into a wall socket that has been checked for voltage first, and monitor the system. If the system shuts down after a very short period of time then the place to start is with the power supply, and not knocking Behringer, I have read a number of on line posts stating power supply problems.

If the board you received back from service is the same board you sent, then a call to Behringer support is in order. The same problem exists, and this indicates to me that the system didn't spend much time on the bench. Every company I deal with provides a list of replaced components with the repair. Check the list if you were given one, and if not ask Behringer what they replaced, and why. All to often a quick check will reveal nothing, and a lengthy bench check putting strain on the processor(s) and associated components is the only way to properly test the hardware.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.