ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 died randomly  (Read 22984 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: x32 died randomly
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »

1. Try it on regular power without your conditioner etc.

2. If the problem still exists, video it and send that in on a thumbdrive with the unit.

William R. Conturo

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 11:20:23 AM »

The power conditioner is a Furman PL-PLUS DMC

The UPS is a Cyberpower 1350 PFCLCD

Both units read 127v steady on the displays. Before I put the x32 in, I installed a single phase (2 legs, neutral, ground) 60amp sub panel in the building just for the sound system. A certified electrician inspected and signed off on my work. PA, backline, and FOH have separate circuits. The PA gets a few 20amp circuits evenly distributed over the legs. FOH gets it's own 20amp.

The console is on a wooden table exposed on all sides with plenty of breathing room. The fan is running when the console does kick on.

Of course I will give it try going right into a different circuit but even if it starts working on a different circuit there is no reason it shouldn't work plugged into FOH. The rack of wireless, digital processing, and the computer never skip a beat. There is no reason why the x32 shouldn't run on the same thing, right?

I'm not totally holding it against Behringer because the console has been great for over a year, it's just a shame it didn't survive. It just feels like now, no matter what, my confidence has been destroyed. Now anytime I travel out of town and have the other techs running the show I'll be waiting for that phone call.

I will also do a video and get it to Behringer before it goes back.

Thanks everyone for the replies and tips. I'll keep updating when I make any more progress on the situation.
- Billy C

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »

It just feels like now, no matter what, my confidence has been destroyed. Now anytime I travel out of town and have the other techs running the show I'll be waiting for that phone call.

Its the nature of the game we play. One day that call may come none the less.

I have had my confidence lost in a much bigger player in the game, to the extent that I would rather have the x32, which we have had for almost 3 yrs now. Zero failures.

from what I hear, the x32 support in the US is stellar. Keep us posted.

We aso always send out a small 16 channel analog console. As a bkup. One day, we may have to use it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:27:55 PM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »

The power conditioner is a Furman PL-PLUS DMC

The UPS is a Cyberpower 1350 PFCLCD

Both units read 127v steady on the displays. Before I put the x32 in, I installed a single phase (2 legs, neutral, ground) 60amp sub panel in the building just for the sound system. A certified electrician inspected and signed off on my work. PA, backline, and FOH have separate circuits. The PA gets a few 20amp circuits evenly distributed over the legs. FOH gets it's own 20amp.

The console is on a wooden table exposed on all sides with plenty of breathing room. The fan is running when the console does kick on.

Of course I will give it try going right into a different circuit but even if it starts working on a different circuit there is no reason it shouldn't work plugged into FOH. The rack of wireless, digital processing, and the computer never skip a beat. There is no reason why the x32 shouldn't run on the same thing, right?

I'm not totally holding it against Behringer because the console has been great for over a year, it's just a shame it didn't survive. It just feels like now, no matter what, my confidence has been destroyed. Now anytime I travel out of town and have the other techs running the show I'll be waiting for that phone call.

I will also do a video and get it to Behringer before it goes back.

Thanks everyone for the replies and tips. I'll keep updating when I make any more progress on the situation.

Every digital console has had some kind of failure, somewhere and sometime.   I've had Avid VENUE, Midas Pro series, DigiCo SD7, Yamaha PM5D and some misc others all exhibit some kind of anomaly, from loss of control surface to loss of audio.  Some recover more gracefully than others.

Even the Midas Heritage 3000, an analog mixer, could go FUBAR in the scene automation/recall if humidity was over 60%.

I understand your frustration, though.  Give Berry another shot at this.  This is part of the 3 years warranty (if you registered within 30 days of purchase).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

Every digital console has had some kind of failure, somewhere and sometime.   

That's very reassuring. :(
That's why I keep my O1V around. Relegated from extra mixer to backup. That one's never let me down.

William R. Conturo

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »

Ya, I guess it's always a matter of "when" not "if". I'm not bashing Behringer too hard for it. Like I said, I have had nothing negative to say about the x32 thus far. I'm glad they seem to be standing by their products and I hope I can get this resolved soon. I would have higher expectations out of a top-tier console but I know anything can happen. This also extends far beyond our little world of pro audio. Minimizing the potential of unexpected failure is usually achieved through high quality design, parts, and product standards. Knowing that, I would expect the risk to be slightly higher with the x32 and I guess I signed up for it unfortunately. As long as they continue to stand by their product and acknowledge there mistake of sending i back un-repaired I can't be that upset.

I did look at the repair ticket and it says all they did was "re-seat the daughter board". No parts where replaced. They also made no mention of the powering down after time being fixed even though I clearly left a note describing the issue on the repair ticket. I bet it went like this:

receive console > take apart > re-seat ribbons > put back together > power on > ok > send back

Doesn't make me happy but what can I do now? I just have to roll with it and deal with the situation until it's resolved.
- Billy C

Lyle Williams

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 10:44:56 PM »

I try and have backups to everything.

A couple of months back I lost a wireless mic channel probably two minutes out from the show starting.  It had been ok at the five minute check.  I had a spare but it certainly scared the cr*p out of me.

It made me think about stuff a bit more.  I had spares of everything on-site save for a mixer.  The backup mixer was in a car park 200m away.  I now try and make sure that there is a complete plan B close enough to touch.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »

Getting confidence back is hard but necessary.

I had a DOA amp channel that I had to rebuild trust in after it was repaired.  I got a dummy load and gave it a real work out, including a 24 hour flogging.

Run your X32 non-stop on the bench between shows.  Do it until you are happy (enough) again.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »

I finally got rid of my entire X32 + S16s + Core + Case rig two weeks ago - moved to the GLD80, 4 jobs so far and very happy.  The X32 was always fickle with power and would randomly turn on into the half booted state described by OP.  Finally it failed to fully boot at a small festival/carnival earlier this month from the power supplied by venue but booted just fine from my Toyota Tacoma truck bed outlet.  That's one way to get through a show in a pinch.  The S16s, Core all booted without issue from same power source.  From memory, this happened to me about a dozen times in 3 years.  Even spent the $$$ on a Tripp Lite UPS which saved me twice but not always.  I loved the console but can't work that way, adios! 

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »

The X32 was always fickle with power and would randomly turn on into the half booted state described by OP.  Finally it failed to fully boot at a small festival/carnival earlier this month from the power supplied by venue but booted just fine from my Toyota Tacoma truck bed outlet.  That's one way to get through a show in a pinch.  The S16s, Core all booted without issue from same power source.  From memory, this happened to me about a dozen times in 3 years.  Even spent the $$$ on a Tripp Lite UPS which saved me twice but not always.
Interesting. This is a much different experience from mine. Of course, NONE of my gear ever gets connected to an "iffy" power source. Perhaps that is the difference?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.