ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Sub - options?  (Read 12099 times)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Re: Replacement Sub - options?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »

For the budget you have and the fact you have amps already, I'd suggest getting a single TH118 or Orbit Shifter, which should put out the same or higher output than a pair of the QSC subs, while sounding better. You can add another later if you have the need.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Rich Rubel

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »

[quote author=Rich Rubel link=

Most important aspects by ranking
1.   Cost (that’s what I have just now)
2.   Dependability
3.   Loudness
4.   Chest Feel (Thump)
5.   Low end
6.   Weight
7.   Size
8.   New or used
9.   Active or passive (no preference)

oh boy, as a fellow mid-60's guy, you are opening a real can of worms, Rich.  Schlepping a ton or 2 of gear around is a sport for younger fellows unless you are of exceptionally sturdy stock!  With that in mind, I'm going to recommend you audition some Cerwin-Vega P 1800SW  powered subs.  Compact, under 90 lbs. each, and about as good performance as you will find within your price range.  I know a guy who is interested in your 3602's if the price is right.  I was going to suggest you shop around for some PRO quality used gear but most of that stuff is big and heavy, which , the longer you live, the more you will hate having to lug around! Lol
Have fun!
Chuck
I looked back at this post on a lark and man, it subsequently got loaded with tons of good information that I am going to follow up on.   In truth I rather gave up on it after all of the lectures, figuring I ineffectively posted my questions.

As to the mid sixties, I am in pretty good shape but that being said I am only a shell of the man I once was ☺.  Anticipating my inevitable decline into infirmity, everything I have is on casters or is stackable on my hand truck.  I use air assist tripods for the 15’s as they are a beast.  I have a folding trailer with a ramp rated at 1200 lbs with sides, a top and numerous heavy duty floor tie downs.  I can put it together in 30 minutes.  The best part is that I mounted my old jeep winch on it so that I can haul up the heaver items if I need to.  Biggest issue now is one of access.  If it is on a second floor with no elevator access I simply pass on it since I can’t guarantee on any give day that I can get additional help.

Chuck, I am with you on good used pro equipment.  Currently I use Ebay primarily because of the buyer protection program.  I am going to start following the for sale section here but are there any other good sites for used pro equipment you could recommend?

Jacob Shaw

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 02:59:09 AM »

Come on guys,  I am also waiting on answers to the "where to look" question to start rolling in.  Hundreds of thousands of used j subs out there and not one of them is on eBay, EVER!  Where is this stuff sold?

Greg Harwood

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »

Rich,

You've been given some great advice here...and a little flack too.  Since your looking in the KW181 range, have you considered the Yorkville LS801P subs? They easily have more output, especially in the 80hz range. With the correct EQ and processing these can really thump and sound good.  They will just fall within your weight criteria, but they have casters and aren't that hard to move...lifting may be a chore without help.  The "B" version has the nice ultrathane paint.

Of course they are not in the same league as the Danley subs mentioned, but may give you what you're looking for at a lower cost.  Danely's are awesome and if you have the funds....definitely go that route.  If your just looking to get better subs than your current Yamaha's then the LS801PB or the KW181 will do the job.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:16:25 PM by Greg Harwood »
Greg H.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 07:28:42 PM »

New Danley TH118's are great, but there are also plenty of used TH115's out there for great prices. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rick Powell

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »

New Danley TH118's are great, but there are also plenty of used TH115's out there for great prices.

I dunno about plenty.  I paid $2500 for a pair used, several years ago off of ebay...they don't show up that often, but they are definitely more plentiful than used TH118's which people seem not to want to let go of. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.