ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX728 vs. STX828  (Read 17056 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: JBL SRX728 vs. STX828
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »

PS - I remember one job about 5BD (5 years before digital) that I unintentionally drove the 2242's much too hard. It was an accident, but all the same they hit Xmax pretty hard and the clank from the copper ring bottoming out scared the shit out of me. That was a 4000 watt mistake to each driver, but they survived without a scratch and work perfectly to this day, 5 years later.
Excellent.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »

Been using 2 x SRX728 subs for several years; have performed excellent!  I'm considering upgrading to the STX828 series (non powered version).  JBL shows the 828 series to handle more power than the 728 series; however, the raw speaker components of the 828 don't appear to be as robust as what is utilized in the 728 series.  The 728 uses the "Differential Drive" speakers, whereas the 828 uses something called "super gap vented".  I can't find much info on the "super gap vented" product.

Are the 828 series as robust as the 728 series?  Does the 828 series actually handle more power?

- The 728's we use are for live sound only (mostly rock shows); each powered with a QSC PLX3602 (bridged - some on the forum don't like these amps for sub duty, but they have performed very well for us).

One thing you haven't stated... Why do you want to change?

These subs are at the same product level. What is the issue of power handling? You should look at freq response and output levels. Who cares if a speaker (system) can handle a million watts if it doesn't get louder than the 100 watt unit?

Lateral upgrades cost a lot of money for no performance gain. There can be other factors such as rider needs or a dimension change to make transport easier. You need to understand for yourself why make a change? New shiny?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »

These subs are at the same product level. What is the issue of power handling? You should look at freq response and output levels. Who cares if a speaker (system) can handle a million watts if it doesn't get louder than the 100 watt unit?

Lateral upgrades cost a lot of money for no performance gain. There can be other factors such as rider needs or a dimension change to make transport easier. You need to understand for yourself why make a change? New shiny?

New/shiny are legit reasons for upgrades for some markets.  2 systems side by each that sound identical, but one is the newer 'look' will book many clients.

For speakers, if you make your buying decision based on published spec sheets alone, you are not making much of an informed decision.  The published marketing spec sheets between the bottom end cabinets and the top end cabinets have very little difference in them.  Actually getting your hands on and using the products will tell you which is the one you want.
Brian Jojade

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »

Thanks Rob.  My current SRX cabinets are beginning to show some "age and wear" from transporting, stacking, and the occasionally drunk guy that jumps on the cabinets to get closer to the band (and spills his beer).  The corners of the cabinets are beginning to lose their Duraflex coating (I'm hoping that I don't need to buy any Duraflex).  So, I looked at the STX line and noticed the power difference, which got me thinking if the STX line was an upgrade (certainly looks more lateral).  As pointed out by B. Jojade, image (clean, well-kept) speakers do tend to present a more professional image (for the shows we do).  We've had customers comment on how professional the sound system looks (the STX line would fit well with the system).

The STX line looks good, but I don't think I'm gaining much moving to them.  I'll just have to spend some time and work on keeping my current SRX cabinets as clean as possible.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »

Thanks Rob.  My current SRX cabinets are beginning to show some "age and wear" from transporting, stacking, and the occasionally drunk guy that jumps on the cabinets to get closer to the band (and spills his beer).  The corners of the cabinets are beginning to lose their Duraflex coating (I'm hoping that I don't need to buy any Duraflex).  So, I looked at the STX line and noticed the power difference, which got me thinking if the STX line was an upgrade (certainly looks more lateral).  As pointed out by B. Jojade, image (clean, well-kept) speakers do tend to present a more professional image (for the shows we do).  We've had customers comment on how professional the sound system looks (the STX line would fit well with the system).

The STX line looks good, but I don't think I'm gaining much moving to them.  I'll just have to spend some time and work on keeping my current SRX cabinets as clean as possible.
The logical upgrade path from SRX728 is Danley TH118. Anything less than that is a side-grade.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »

The STX 800 series replaced the SRX 700 series due to scarcity of the lighter weight magnet material used in the SRX line. Hence the weight increase.

Wouldn't sprucing up your cabs with new Duraflex be the logical thing to do assuming that there is nothing else wrong with the subs?

Lots of folk here have done that and I am sure you can get helpful advise from them.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »

On the cabinets I've built I just use a standard short nap 6" roller.  Don't need the fancy ones.  The texture comes out looking just like the JBL finish.  Touching up is really quick.  Although you want to wait a couple weeks before piling them in a corner for the stuff to fully cure.  I've had the pressure of feet from a cabinet on top mess up the finish on one underneath.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.