ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Old School Subs for EDM?  (Read 12121 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Best Old School Subs for EDM?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »

Haha!  You would think that they would say per cubic inch to at least suggest you get more sound for the size of the box.  Of course, that ought to have a qualifier regarding how much at which frequencies and with how much power input, but then you'd know what the box could really do.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »

There are a pair of LAB subs for sale for low $$. If I wanted some inexpensive monster subs they would my first choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

chuck clark

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 04:04:20 AM »

From the website:  "The TS-42 Folded Horn delivers more bass per square inch than other subwoofer designs and includes a curved horn mouth bracing for smoother frequency response"

I've built a few cabinets over the years.  I fail to see what having an arc in the vertical center brace does for the performance of the cabinet.  Or how it "smooths" the response.  If anything, whatever resistance is offered by a 3/4" brace is completely different over the height of the mouth the way they've configured it.  Again, I don't think it makes any appreciable difference but I could see trying to arc it inward so that whatever it's effect is, it's even over the path length.

Such non-technical hype is a red flag for me.  When I see someone BS'ing me about things I understand, I figure that they're surely BS'ing me on things I can't see or don't understand.

Up until a few weeks ago I would have totally agreed with you Steve.  Couldn't give a rats behind about the shape of the brace as long as it doesn't rattle!
- Then I got schooled by Ivan on impedance ripples at the mouth of the horn being smoothed by adjacent boxes and then I got FURTHER schooled by Tom Danley (yes, that Tom Danley) about the "bubble" effect where the horn loading effect extends somewhat beyond the mouth of the horn.  Pretty humbling for a know it all type like myself! But I appreciated it.  So don't dis' the CV guys for doing something it turns out is acoustically correct. Have a wonderful day!
Chuck

chuck clark

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 05:09:19 AM »

There are a pair of LAB subs for sale for low $$. If I wanted some inexpensive monster subs they would my first choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great suggestion Rob, but I always wonder about the quality of homebuilts from 1 box to the next. Also, if you need to get a matching pair next year good luck finding them, eh?  Savy guys like you can navigate the used market but most buyers are more comfortable w/ factory build and a warrantee.
  Some homebuilts are probly BETTER than some of the cheapo boxes out there (LOL) but how would you know which ones are which? Again, Good luck!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 07:20:53 AM »

I always wonder about the quality of homebuilts from 1 box to the next. Also, if you need to get a matching pair next year good luck finding them, eh?
I think the best way to guarantee a match is to make them yourself!

Steve.

Dave Mathew

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 12:58:58 AM »

We picked up 8 of these home builds for $400 a piece. Very efficient 8 ohms, we can run 4 off of an itech4000 or all 8 of off one macrotech 5000. This puts out an amazing amount of musical low end bass for under $800 per box.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 12:58:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.