ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL VP Series  (Read 8571 times)

Taylor Gonzalez

Re: JBL VP Series
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »

We use the VP7212mdp wedges on the Thorogood tour and have been extremely pleased with their performance over the last 3 years. Power switching across the planet has been flawless. Expensive? Yes. But, well worth the investment. This is a pro box with powercon I/O not IEC like the new SRX line.  Sonically a very pleasing box. Power to weight ratio is some of the best we've encountered.

Does anyone know if there is a large sonic difference between the VP and the AM series? Other than the fact that AM is not powered?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »

I've heard and worked with plenty of VP series boxes. IMO one of the best products JBL sells. The sound is incredible, and the options for the box are second to none. However the down side is they command a high price, but they should. If you purchase a VP system, be sure that you choose the box with the options that fit your needs, and when you get to that point call JBL and confirm your choice(s). Good luck.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

michael glenn

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

Bob, what is your experience with the internal amp failures eluded to earlier? 

I've heard and worked with plenty of VP series boxes. IMO one of the best products JBL sells. The sound is incredible, and the options for the box are second to none. However the down side is they command a high price, but they should. If you purchase a VP system, be sure that you choose the box with the options that fit your needs, and when you get to that point call JBL and confirm your choice(s). Good luck.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »

We've had nine VP7212 for 3 years and we've got one that developed a yet to be determined, possibly amp related issue very recently. They all have been put through merciless, and almost reckless (sorry Dan ) monitor duty for 50-100 shows a year, national and locals acts, plus front fill and cue wedge duty. Besides that their performance has been absolutely superior. Up until this issue, I was sorta surprised one had not given up the magic smoke yet...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »

Bob, what is your experience with the internal amp failures eluded to earlier? 

I haven't heard of any issues.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 09:18:11 PM »

The monitors in the VP series are great. The top boxes sound great, but a couple of companies in my neck of the woods have had issues with the built in amps. They have them out for service more than they have used them in the past year. The response back to them has been that "the boxes don't like to travel very well". Both companies take meticulous care of their gear and load their trucks very well.

~Dave

Here is a set on ebay for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-JBL-VP7212MDP-Powered-12-2-Way-Stage-Monitor-/181733933135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a502fc04f
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 12:11:50 PM »

We have 8 of the VP 712 wedges in our inventory stored in road cases, used 3-4 times a week and have only had 2 amplifier failures in the past 4+ years of ownership. One of those failures was from a VP taking 208V (was plugged into lighting power). That leads to one of my caveats: had the box had a universal power supply, we wouldn't have had an issue. All the JBL powered boxes I have used have a manual selected power supply. Just FYI if you plan on traveling internationally with these.

Sonically, they sound pretty good, just super bright on the high end (9K and up). Prepare to do some ugly EQ work to get these near flat response. Not sure if the rest of the series is this way or not.
Kristian Stevenson

David Buehler

• db Production Services LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 02:46:15 AM »

I have both the VP 7212 and VP7315s in my inventory and they have been rock solid performers for years. They have a place and the wedges are right in line with my meyer UM-1Ps and are just a notch down from the VTX wedges we just got.

JBLs VP Series has caught my eye, looks like a great box. Anyone familiar with them? They are very similar, component wise to the AM series. I'm thinking of building a LR rig with (2) 60x40 boxes per side, giving me 120* per side. I have the design down, just need to narrow the box down. I've looked at:
JBL STX835 (60x40 3 way)
JBL AM7315/64
JBL VP7315/64

All are 3-way boxes, I know the AM and VP have array kits but, not sure about the new STX. The STX are also very affortable and powered but, I haven't heard them yet. I've heard an AM7315 installation and it was pleasant although I am certain it was setup incorrectly. Anyone have any ballpark numbers for the VP series and AM series? Obviuously the VP will be more expensive being powered and a Pro Series product. Thanks for any input.
David Buehler
Owner
db Production Services LLC

Audio - Video - Staging & Roofs - Crewing - Production Management & Design

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 02:46:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.