ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL VRX 932 "Straight away" (?) rails to strighten a VRX curve for more boxes  (Read 11498 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

Lets just say:

I see a lot of DJ's that buy VRX and try to "break in" to the live sound market. 
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Stephen Kirby

It used to be the size of your board.  Now it's the size of your hang.

I had to pass up on gigs some years ago that required more monitor mixes than my GL would handle.  Now with a digital board you have plenty of sends.  So the discriminating factor is if you have a "line array" as opposed to stacks.

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore/Amsterdam

I had to pass up on gigs some years ago that required more monitor mixes than my GL would handle.  Now with a digital board you have plenty of sends.  So the discriminating factor is if you have a "line array" as opposed to stacks.

Welcome to The Audio Business.  If you're playing in the A-level (and even some B- and C-level acts), you likely need a line array to fill riders.

When I was still writing riders for Artists Not Carrying PA, I had a clause that stated, verbatim: "Line arrays are not mandatory. We would prefer to see a well-deployed trap rig with adequate fills if appropriate, rather than a poorly deployed line array just because you have a line array in the shop. It should go without saying, but the wrong PA for the venue is still the wrong PA." 

FWIW, it also said "No JBL VRX!".

Back to the OP:  Trying to hang VRX at less than the Manufacturer Recommended Angle is going to produce ugly results, akin to trying to under-splay L'Acoustics ARCS or Meyer Sound JM-1P.  (And in case I'm unclear, those boxes are by far in a different league than VRX.  Just using them for the splay comparison.)

I feel like a broken record, but VRX is NOT a line array as we think of modern line array systems.  Period.

Hang the PA with the manufacturer's rated hardware, or get the right PA for the application.

Jim McKeveny

It's the product's fault the people don't know what they're doing?  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes.

John Penkala

But I will say most 932 owners do not power them well. We have the Crown I tech 1200HD (on board BSS processor) and that amp running these are a whole different world then our MA5002VZ or RMX5050's w/drive rack. That matters.

+1,  For those who don't like VRX even when they are a suitable rig for the gig, there is a huge increase in overall performance/sound quality when powering 932's with the 12000HD amplifiers. The 12000HD changed my opinion of VRX. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

+1,  For those who don't like VRX even when they are a suitable rig for the gig, there is a huge increase in overall performance/sound quality when powering 932's with the 12000HD amplifiers. The 12000HD changed my opinion of VRX.
Out of curiosity-what exactly changes in the performance?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Penkala

The processing in the HD amplifier improved the sound quality. The mid-range honk and the harshness in the 2-3k range is greatly reduced. The overall voicing is smoother. The limiting is more transparent as well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Changes in filters, apparently.  V5 processing available in the I-TechHDs and DrivePacks only.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Changes in filters, apparently.  V5 processing available in the I-TechHDs and DrivePacks only.
I would be interested in seeing the transfer function of the different presets.

Is the response flatter? Or some sort of "preferred shape"?  Is the phase flatter?  Something else?

The reason for the question is that I often see statements like "Version XYZ presets are much better". I wonder what is "better" about them, and why it so many versions to get there.

It is often an interesting debate of whether the response should be flat or have a specific "shape" that some people prefer.

I wonder whether they prefer some sort of shape when listening to music playback or with a live band?

Why could the same result not be achieved with other processors?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I would be interested in seeing the transfer function of the different presets.

Is the response flatter? Or some sort of "preferred shape"?  Is the phase flatter?  Something else?

The reason for the question is that I often see statements like "Version XYZ presets are much better". I wonder what is "better" about them, and why it so many versions to get there.

It is often an interesting debate of whether the response should be flat or have a specific "shape" that some people prefer.

I wonder whether they prefer some sort of shape when listening to music playback or with a live band?

Why could the same result not be achieved with other processors?

Borrow or rent any ITech HD, hook it up to a windows laptop running Audio Architect and load whatever device file you choose, and measure away.  Then load the V4 "emulated original I Tech" device files for the same models and compare with your saved measurements.

The HD series uses the same DSP platform as the BSS London (whatever Secret Sauces are therein, FIR, etc) so perhaps someone here with London chops can share.

As for why the same result could not be achieved, I can only say "black box, complete system."  JBL has plenty of company in this regard - l'acoustic, Meyer, d&b, NEXO, etc.  The designer picks from the tools at his/her disposal.

I'm glad that JBL steps up and supports existing products with improved processing and better aural results.  Anything that helps the VRX is fine by me. ;)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.