ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help troubleshooting GFCI nuisance trip  (Read 10051 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Help troubleshooting GFCI nuisance trip
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »

That is exactly Monster's target market.  :)

Yeah.... I've also had a few musicians claim that their fancy "surge strips" would stop ground loop hum when plugging into my system. Since I don't have time to explain this to them during a show, I just stick in a ISO box with a ground lift and get the hum out of their speakers.

Same goes for local cable-company television crews with remote trailers. They usually just want a single XLR aux feed from the dignitary's podium mic, but they're plugged into AC power from some other building. Don't be tempted to let them run a 250 ft XLR cable directly from your mixing console as that's just asking for a ground loop hum. First time this happened to me I just stuck a WW IMP-2 on an aux out on the console, then plugged it into their XLR feed and lifted the ground. Worked perfectly with zero hum. If they want line-level audio I generally use a WW ISO-1 or ISO-2 which has a t 1:1 / 600-ohm audio transformer with a ground lift. Works great, and the politicians are now free to spout their rhetoric,  hum free....  ;D

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »

Their first surge protector did have an over/under voltage shut down and they may be open to the suggestion of a UPS, however I think that would be the limit of any education that they would consider.

I hear your pain Mike as arguing with stubbornness has never proved fruitful with someone who has their mind made up. Once or twice a month they bring in some pretty well known headliners (EDM) and when they do they bring in their own pa as the house system can "only" average about 125 dBc on the dancefloor. Here is how they set up their mains, and monitors:

The midrange and highs just completely fall apart after about 15-20 feet with all the combing going on which is a problem when the venue is 120 feet deep. Those 2 monitors bounce right off the low ceiling so now you have 6 tops spread out firing sound into the crowd. I explained how many rocks thrown into the pond make for ugly wave patterns. I've shown them this app with 2 sources and then 4 http://www.falstad.com/ripple/. Then while they were standing about 40 feet back I physically lifted the tops on the stands off, inverted them upside down and placed them on the tops on the milk crates so they could hear the difference. The difference was night and day, they even couldn't believe how much clarity came to the mids after that. Next show, set up same way as always. Why? they said because that is what they know and what looks more normal and if the crowd didn't like the mud farther back they could always move up front.  :o. You win some you lose some I guess.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »

I find the one thing in the chain which, when removed, makes everything work better is...the DJ.

/snark

Don't laugh...you know you agree.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:58:00 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »

I find the one thing in the chain which, when removed, make everything work better is...the DJ.

/snark

+1  ;D

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »

I had one guitar player with an intentionally cut-off ground pin on his power cord tell me not to worry. He had a fancy $100 surge strip that he claimed would protect him from electrocution.

If it costs a lot, it must be better.  Not
Not to Code

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

I find the one thing in the chain which, when removed, makes everything work better is...the DJ.

/snark

I was going to disagree with you then one of them said last Thursday that they talked to their speaker Rep and he had suggested getting 2-4 "more" tops spread out to help with the midrange/highs falling off a cliff 20 feet out. I asked him if the rep worked on commission. It would be nice if the DJ's stuck to the music and let the sound guys do their thing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.