ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL5 Stereo Inputs question  (Read 1596 times)

Guy Morris

Yamaha QL5 Stereo Inputs question
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:41:38 am »

Hi

Probably a dumb question here but I cannot find anything listed in the manual that makes this obvious (to me at least) On the 3rd fader layer button you reach the stereo returns and DCA masters(all good)  but there is also the 8 stereo input faders sitting there. To be honest I have ignored these until the other day when I thought it time to see how these are supposed to be used but can't get a handle on it.  I know they are not linked to dedicated stereo inputs on the back panel (L/R XLRs or phonos etc that would be good)) so do I assume they are for making up stereo inputs from the mono inputs to use alongside the DCAs or are they only if you having an expansion card installed?
Someone put me out of my sleepless nights and misery please!

Thanks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Yamaha QL5 Stereo Inputs question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:36:37 am »

Hi

Probably a dumb question here but I cannot find anything listed in the manual that makes this obvious (to me at least) On the 3rd fader layer button you reach the stereo returns and DCA masters(all good)  but there is also the 8 stereo input faders sitting there. To be honest I have ignored these until the other day when I thought it time to see how these are supposed to be used but can't get a handle on it.  I know they are not linked to dedicated stereo inputs on the back panel (L/R XLRs or phonos etc that would be good)) so do I assume they are for making up stereo inputs from the mono inputs to use alongside the DCAs or are they only if you having an expansion card installed?
Someone put me out of my sleepless nights and misery please!

Thanks

They are just more control channel, like all the other control channels, but they are stereo.  Like the 72 mono input control channels they can control any input ports you want. If you use the custom fader layers they can appear anywhere on the surface you want, like for instance the stereo keys right next to the guitars.

They are easier to understand once you give up the concept that those input connectors on the back of the console are related to particular control strips.

Mac

Oops, I answered about a CL5, but the concept is the same.

Guy Morris

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:34 am »

Hi Mac

Thanks for the rapid response!  Ok I think what you are saying confirms what I was slowly realising!  I knew there was no physical input sockets to the stereo channels (however I did check at the back tho just in case or out of wishful thinking!)  but was wondering how they were to be used. What you are saying is you can assign a stereo input to appear in this section as a one fader operation rather than ganged so useful when selecting up a custom fader layout. I normally use channels 1-32 and 33 -64 over the two layer switches for easy and logical layout and at times the DCA section so as yet not really found a reason to make use of this option but bing! great place to bring the USB desk recorder back in for playback.

Thanks

Oops, I answered about a CL5, but the concept is the same.
[/quote]

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:47:06 am »

The factory default has the effects rack outputs patched to those stereo channels. But you can patch anything else you want, from any of the inputs available to the desk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 24 queries.