ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gobo malfunction with Chauvet Q Spot 560  (Read 3395 times)

shanecaudill

gobo malfunction with Chauvet Q Spot 560
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:27:05 PM »

A couple of years ago we bought (10) Q spot 560 led's.  They have an issue where the gobo randomly seems to index incorrectly.  In the middle of programming or a show, the fixture will display the wrong gobo and will  be mis-indexed until the fixture is reset.  Some times resetting works and sometimes it takes several attempts.
Chauvet tells me that it is a dmx issue, but that seems hard to believe.  We use a variety of other moving head fixtures without issue and we have used these Qspots in different venues with the same results.
Has anyone else had similar issues?  Any advice would be appreciated.  It adds many hours to our programming time and regularly affects my shows.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cailen Waddell

Re: gobo malfunction with Chauvet Q Spot 560
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »

We have a dozen q spot 560s.  This is not a problem we have experienced. That said, if it starts indexing wrong usually that means a dirty encoder or another internal sensor isn't lining up correctly.   Have you opened up the fixture and done a visual inspection for dust, etc?

If they said its Dmx then you either talked to the wrong person or they don't know shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »

Sounds like a sensor issue. Not familiar with this specific fixture but cleaning the fixture thoroughly is your first task. If the units use magnetic sensors the sensor is probably the culprit. If optical sensors, then the sensor could be dirty or going bad.
Either way the sensors should be cheap, and not too difficult to replace.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 06:35:36 PM »

Does this happen on all 10 fixtures or just some of them? Does it happen if you use the built in auto-show (eliminating the dmx signal altogether)? Do the gobo's twitch or just mis-index? Are they more susceptible when panned to one extent over the other?

I'll add a possible break in the stepper motor or sensor wires to the list. You can take the covers off the head and the base, then unplug the motor wires and use a continuity tester to check the wires. Figuring out which plug on the base lines up to the motor on the head is the fun part ;). They also usually don't line up from left to right between the motor plug and the base plug. Re-routing new wires from the head to the base is not fun at all.

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:33:51 AM »

Actually there could be several possibilities here. Some fixtures only use the sensors to home on power up or reset, but then do not use them again. It could be a motor beginning to go bad, which is normally a suspect if the problem does not occur until the fixture has been on for a period. It could be a driver IC, but normally these are not intermittent. It could be a faulty wire that is going bad, but my experience with these would suggest that the problem will not be intermittent.
As I mentioned earlier, I've not worked on this particular fixture and each brand and/or model can have it's own functions and issues. I would put a dmx issue pretty much at the end of my suspicions.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Josh Daws

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:39:25 PM »

its a sensor issue. we have had this one before....

also make sure that no one takes our the last gobo on the rotating gobo wheel, it should be the texture gobo. this is the homing sensor for the gobo wheel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:39:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.