ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Value of Large-Format Analog Consoles  (Read 28317 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: The Value of Large-Format Analog Consoles
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »

I don't think digital mixers lose that much value right away - audio is still audio, and I still see 01v96's at plenty of street festivals.  If you're in the position of meeting riders and having the latest toys then analog wasn't really any better.

Trevor Ludwig

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »

Well the customer may always be right but I'd suggest this BE is going to find it harder and harder to find sound companies with analog decks going forward.  Time to join the 21'st century yes?

..dave

Well, his alternative is then to demand the one desk that he's familiar with, and if you have a festival setting, spending hours getting in contact with all of the BE's for the weeks' shows, finding the desk they're comfortable with, and picking the one that most of them know, and alienating some of the other BE's...  In this situation, an Analog desk seems to be logical.

I just got dumped into this experience, with my first experience using an x-32.  I was called in because sound was just 'off'.  And doing sound check 20 minutes before open house to fix theatrical sound issues with 12 wireless lapels was a stressful nightmare when you have no previous experience with a specific digital interface. (i have a lot of experience with Yamaha consoles).  I don't care how well you know a desk, eq'ing and manipulating multiple channels at the same time is just faster on analog.
Trevor Ludwig

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »

I don't care how well you know a desk, eq'ing and manipulating multiple channels at the same time is just faster on analog.

I would disagree with that statement. I might have agreed a few years ago before I got to know a digital desk well, but not now.

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »

I don't care how well you know a desk, eq'ing and manipulating multiple channels at the same time is just faster on analog.

One of the things I like on digital board is the ability to copy 'n paste EQ settings from one channel to the next, which saves time when same type of mic is used on multiple channels.  Going beyond that, one can save the EQ settings to a library and instant-recall. 

Best,
John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »

regarding the X32, I dont think so. the only thing that 'Might' be faster on analog is sending to buses, if you are mixing monitors from FOH. I have never been crippled, mostly.

I come to realize, if i am needing to fight with a desk, it really isn't the desks fault. My first time on it is not relevant.
My RTA is always flat.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »

Well, his alternative is then to demand the one desk that he's familiar with, and if you have a festival setting, spending hours getting in contact with all of the BE's for the weeks' shows, finding the desk they're comfortable with, and picking the one that most of them know, and alienating some of the other BE's...  In this situation, an Analog desk seems to be logical.

I just got dumped into this experience, with my first experience using an x-32.  I was called in because sound was just 'off'.  And doing sound check 20 minutes before open house to fix theatrical sound issues with 12 wireless lapels was a stressful nightmare when you have no previous experience with a specific digital interface. (i have a lot of experience with Yamaha consoles).  I don't care how well you know a desk, eq'ing and manipulating multiple channels at the same time is just faster on analog.

Comparing a large frame analog desk like Heritage or PM4k or Series 5 to an X32 is no more valid than comparing the X32 to a Digico SD 5 or PM1D or Venue DShow or Midas Pro6 or 10.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »

regarding the X32, I dont think so. the only thing that 'Might' be faster on analog is sending to buses, if you are mixing monitors from FOH. I have never been crippled, mostly.

I come to realize, if i am needing to fight with a desk, it really isn't the desks fault. My first time on it is not relevant.

Analog consoles evolved to the point where basic mixing workflow is generally the same. If you're familiar with how an analog mixer works you can sidle up to any one of them and quickly assess how to operate it. Digital consoles at this point require some degree of drive time before experience is gained, a general knowledge of how to operate one model or brand of mixer does not translate to the others as easily. Copy and paste, recallable libraries are fantastic tools to have but only if you know how they function.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:20 AM »

Analog consoles evolved to the point where basic mixing workflow is generally the same. If you're familiar with how an analog mixer works you can sidle up to any one of them and quickly assess how to operate it. Digital consoles at this point require some degree of drive time before experience is gained, a general knowledge of how to operate one model or brand of mixer does not translate to the others as easily. Copy and paste, recallable libraries are fantastic tools to have but only if you know how they function.

My point being. If getting up and running without having to learn a new console is about setting channel levels, Adjusting EQ, and sending to busses, most digital consoles will be as fast or almost as an analog in a walk up situation also.

It is when you want to go deeper than  that that it can take longer, at which point the comparisons to analog are not relevant.

I still would find it quicker to select a channel and adjust dynamics, than go hunting in a rack looking for the correct patch. And just like digital, a dbx would have a different feature/knob set than a BSS.
I think its a mindset.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:12:13 AM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 11:19:29 PM »

When I saw some of the prices that some of the big analog consoles were going for I was tempted to buy one. But I don’t have the back for it any more and I don’t have a way to move it around. But at those prices it is tempting. I assume that someone who wants to stay analog would be buying up some of these to have a supply of replacement parts.

And someone mentioned the lack of outboard gear for these big consoles. Then a weird thought (about this) crossed my mind just yesterday. How would it be to use something like the X32 rack as an effects I/O device for a big analog console? And if you add one of the stage boxes you would have even more inputs and outputs to use as inserts for all sorts of things. You wouldn’t need a big rack and you could control all of that with a computer or some other device. I wonder if anyone is doing that?   

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 01:25:41 AM »

And someone mentioned the lack of outboard gear for these big consoles. Then a weird thought (about this) crossed my mind just yesterday. How would it be to use something like the X32 rack as an effects I/O device for a big analog console? And if you add one of the stage boxes you would have even more inputs and outputs to use as inserts for all sorts of things. You wouldn’t need a big rack and you could control all of that with a computer or some other device. I wonder if anyone is doing that?   

That would be like hooking up a truck to a team of horses instead of a wagon... yes, it would work... yes, it does the same thing... but pretty soon you would just start the engine up and forget about the horses. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 01:25:41 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.