ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: check out my Danley SM80 + TH118 set up  (Read 25712 times)

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: check out my Danley SM80 + TH118 set up
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »

Interested in Missouri!

Congrats on the rig.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »

I'm interested.

There's not much room between Iowa and Minnesota though. How do you do a show in such a small space?  :P
He has a TARDIS
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ted Christensen

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »

He has a TARDIS

I set up in one state and shoot the sound across the border.. ::)
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 02:53:04 PM »

I am in the market for portable speakers, but I only have $3500 to spend. No one is revealing the price, but I doubt that I can touch a new pair of SM80's for that.

I've never heard them because, (to the best of my knowledge,) no one around me has a pair in service. I am not sure I am willing to drive 500 or 600 miles round-trip just to hear a pair of short throw speakers.

Even if they sound great, many local bands aren't good enough to justify spending so much money for something so lean. I mean, quite often they're playing in bars to drunk people who wouldn't know the difference between speakers if you hit them over the head with them.

I certainly would know the difference because I have been an audiophile, soundman, and studio engineer for many years, but I still need to recoup my investment with bar gigs.

Thanks anyway.
Member since 2005.

Rick Powell

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »

About 100m west of Chicago, we will be using a SM80 over TH118 rig this Saturday (May 23).  It's outdoors, on 2nd street in La Salle IL (easy to find, they will have the street closed off in the downtown area).  About 7-8 acts between 2pm and 10 pm.   The following Saturday (May 30) at Shakers Lounge in Ottawa IL, 9pm-1am.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 09:21:50 PM »

Interested in So Cal.

Anybody have any Danley out here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Powell

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »

I am in the market for portable speakers, but I only have $3500 to spend. No one is revealing the price, but I doubt that I can touch a new pair of SM80's for that.

I've never heard them because, (to the best of my knowledge,) no one around me has a pair in service. I am not sure I am willing to drive 500 or 600 miles round-trip just to hear a pair of short throw speakers.

1. You might be closer than you think with $3500 if you look around.  I didn't pay much more than that for new (I have serial #s 1 and 2, who knows, maybe they will be collectors items someday if I don't bang 'em up too much).  There was an almost new pair on ebay recently that you might have snagged for your budget.

2. Cobrasound in Berwick PA might have a pair, they usually have a good collection of Danley.

Jesse gray

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »

I would have loved to be there, i jave been jonesing to see a danley rig, but I've got work in Cleveland and just don't have the time.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »

So as it turned out, I had 3 days with no work, good weather and an excuse to ride my motorcycle from Toronto down to Columbus to put an ear to this rig.
I have used the TH115s many times before and installed a 20 cab rig of OS80s in an arena so has some idea of how this might sound.
The real draw here was the fact that it was outdoors and I wasn't dissaponted.
It's surprising how cohesive the frequency response is over distance.
We were about 150' out from the speakers and they sounded as if they were much closer.
As with the OS 80, a bit of cut is required around the 3k area and a bit of tweeking is needed to get a smooth transition from the subs to the 125 point on the SM80s.
Very smooth sound and deceptively loud while not being harsh.
Must get my hands on some SM80's!
 Also interested in the SM 69s as they go a bit lower and are arrayable.
However, for the $$ and ease of use, the SM80 is hard to beat.
Thanks to Bob for the invite  :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »

So as it turned out, I had 3 days with no work, good weather and an excuse to ride my motorcycle from Toronto down to Columbus to put an ear to this rig.
I have used the TH115s many times before and installed a 20 cab rig of OS80s in an arena so has some idea of how this might sound.
The real draw here was the fact that it was outdoors and I wasn't dissaponted.
It's surprising how cohesive the frequency response is over distance.
We were about 150' out from the speakers and they sounded as if they were much closer.
As with the OS 80, a bit of cut is required around the 3k area and a bit of tweeking is needed to get a smooth transition from the subs to the 125 point on the SM80s.
Very smooth sound and deceptively loud while not being harsh.
Must get my hands on some SM80's!
 Also interested in the SM 69s as they go a bit lower and are arrayable.
However, for the $$ and ease of use, the SM80 is hard to beat.
Thanks to Bob for the invite  :)

Huntsville's a much shorter ride for you Keith. If you want to hear some Danley product, take a ride up. I've got a pair of SH96HO's, 2 SBH 218's, 2 SM80's and 4 SM LPM monitors.
I saw a blurb about the Owen Sound arena install with OS80's. Curious as to how that worked out. Our arena is in need of a refit. I wanted to suggest those boxes to them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.