ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dan Dugan vs Behringer  (Read 33569 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Dan Dugan vs Behringer
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »

I seem to remember one guy who developed and manufactured guitar pickups, Bill Lawrence, who had a business partner.

Apparently when they split business Bill Lawrence lost the rights to use his own name in his new business, since his partner inherited it with the business.

I have to say that this legal stuff is highly complicated and far above my head poor ::)

Yes there are numerous examples of this... one reason I would never name a business after myself**.  ;D  For the sake of this conversation Dan Dugan the man and Dan Dugan Sound Design are one and the same. If Dan were to sell his business then the name would likely go with it, since the name has significance in the marketplace. 

JR

*** Decades ago I saw an old obsolete tape recorder from a company named "Roberts"...that was an object lesson for me.  Ask Greg Mackie about using his own name these days.  8)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lyle Williams

Re: Dan Dugan vs Behringer
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 12:21:38 AM »

I think Behringer have handled this very badly (even if technically legal) as they could have easily licenced the use of the name.

A difficulty with licensing is reaching commercial terms.  If one party is thinking $50/box and the other is thinking 50c/box, it can be hard to find middle ground.

It is also possible that Dugan has licensed a software developer, and that the forthcoming Behringer software will incorporate code provided by that developer.

Harry Brill Jr.

Re: Dan Dugan vs The Borg
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »

"I have Hoovered the carpet" and "I will put out a Tannoy for him" are common phrases today.  I would personally be happy to have my name universally recognised like this but I can understand why others wouldn't.

Steve.

This is funny.  I have never heard these phrases in my entire life.  I had no idea Tannoy made paging horns.  I know them as a studio monitor and home audio speaker manufacturer.

I think Dugan implied he was not going to pursue this in court.  It's the little guy vs the huge corporation and he should spend his money on fun things.  I imagine he will trademark his name and leave it at that.  I know of at least one company that purchased the M32 before released because they were told by the sales people, it would have Dugan automixer in an upcoming update.  They have had the desk almost a year still waiting on the automixer.  It's no doubt the brand has value.  The corpie market is way bigger than the music and concert market (I know it's so hard to believe).  I can easily see a rack mount sized all in one 2k-3k mixer with automixer built in, racked up with some RF mics, being a hot ticket for breakout rooms.  Workflow is not an issue if you just program them all the same at the shop.  Turn all the mics up and let it go.  Presenters usually turn there mics on and off in these sessions.  The automixer would do the rest.  Bye bye (most) feedback.

The Peavey S4 (I think it is) sounds and works fantastic but adds features Dugan doesn't offer by such as a wierd one knob EQ (that is useful), a comp/ limiter, mic preamps, the ability to submix the inputs to outputs, and high pass filters.  I have a 4 pack rack of them (16 channels) and didn't know until JR posted that they used the Dugan math. That rack has sat unused since the Yamaha DuganMy card came out. Now I have the Dugan branded AM in my QL5, and in my Waves rig.  Speaking of Waves, big copiers as it turns out, they even got together with Dan Dugan.  I bet it's as easy as asking him.  Maybe throw him a few consulting dollars for good will.  The Borg have no respect for anyone else, or even themselves only the collective and the Borg queen.  You will be assimilated.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »

Borg?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »

This is funny.  I have never heard these phrases in my entire life.  I had no idea Tannoy made paging horns.  I know them as a studio monitor and home audio speaker manufacturer.

I think Dugan implied he was not going to pursue this in court.  It's the little guy vs the huge corporation and he should spend his money on fun things.  I imagine he will trademark his name and leave it at that.  I know of at least one company that purchased the M32 before released because they were told by the sales people, it would have Dugan automixer in an upcoming update.  They have had the desk almost a year still waiting on the automixer.  It's no doubt the brand has value.  The corpie market is way bigger than the music and concert market (I know it's so hard to believe).  I can easily see a rack mount sized all in one 2k-3k mixer with automixer built in, racked up with some RF mics, being a hot ticket for breakout rooms.  Workflow is not an issue if you just program them all the same at the shop.  Turn all the mics up and let it go.  Presenters usually turn there mics on and off in these sessions.  The automixer would do the rest.  Bye bye (most) feedback.

The Peavey S4 (I think it is) sounds and works fantastic but adds features Dugan doesn't offer by such as a wierd one knob EQ (that is useful), a comp/ limiter, mic preamps, the ability to submix the inputs to outputs, and high pass filters.  I have a 4 pack rack of them (16 channels) and didn't know until JR posted that they used the Dugan math. That rack has sat unused since the Yamaha DuganMy card came out. Now I have the Dugan branded AM in my QL5, and in my Waves rig.  Speaking of Waves, big copiers as it turns out, they even got together with Dan Dugan.  I bet it's as easy as asking him.  Maybe throw him a few consulting dollars for good will.  The Borg have no respect for anyone else, or even themselves only the collective and the Borg queen.  You will be assimilated.

Welcome back Harry!
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »

The corpie market is way bigger than the music and concert market (I know it's so hard to believe).
I believe the MI business is larger.

I can easily see a rack mount sized all in one 2k-3k mixer with automixer built in, racked up with some RF mics, being a hot ticket for breakout rooms.  Workflow is not an issue if you just program them all the same at the shop.  Turn all the mics up and let it go.  Presenters usually turn there mics on and off in these sessions.  The automixer would do the rest.  Bye bye (most) feedback.
Dedicated AM is a serious but not huge niche market. AM as a software feature for a generic digital mixer platform is a win-win for customers, and the beginning of the end of dedicated AM. Like trying to buy a dedicated adding machine these days. Just use software and a generic computer. 
The Peavey S4 (I think it is) sounds and works fantastic but adds features Dugan doesn't offer by such as a wierd one knob EQ (that is useful), a comp/ limiter, mic preamps, the ability to submix the inputs to outputs, and high pass filters.  I have a 4 pack rack of them (16 channels) and didn't know until JR posted that they used the Dugan math.
The S4 was well after my time but back while I was there I made my own version of a small 4 input AM. The killer app I was addressing was the classic comb filtering between podium mics and wireless mics when the worship leader walks up to the podium and both are active. AM proportional gain sharing can dip the weaker podium mic to prevent deep combing. The S4 is already out of production. I wouldn't generally offer a less than 8 channel AM, but I expect this product category to eventually disappear as the feature gets included in generic digital mixer products.   
That rack has sat unused since the Yamaha DuganMy card came out. Now I have the Dugan branded AM in my QL5, and in my Waves rig.  Speaking of Waves, big copiers as it turns out, they even got together with Dan Dugan.  I bet it's as easy as asking him.  Maybe throw him a few consulting dollars for good will.  The Borg have no respect for anyone else, or even themselves only the collective and the Borg queen.  You will be assimilated.

I think we should all mail Dan Dugan a dollar.  8)  Seriously a few years ago when I was consulting with an "analog" mixer company to design a new AM, I advised them to find some way to partner with Dan, just for the marketing name value. Unfortunately the analog mixer market just went "poof", and so did that new product. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »

But I'm sure you've used a kleenex that wasn't sold by Kleenex.

Just for fun, here's a long list of brand names that have become generic terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »

It's a British thing.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Harry Brill Jr.

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:53 PM »

I believe the MI business is larger. 

JR

Agreed and I was not referring to the MI market which isn't really even on my radar.  I generally consider MI gear to be junk.

But I'm sure you've used a kleenex that wasn't sold by Kleenex.

Just for fun, here's a long list of brand names that have become generic terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

Of course, although come to think of it I make it a point not to do that.  I would ask for a tissue unless I specifically wanted a kleenex, then if you gave me another brand I would be disappointed.  :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:53 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.