ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Case for an X32 Rack  (Read 19674 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Case for an X32 Rack
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »

I'm going to acquire an X32 Rack and wondered what the folks who are already using one are using for a case.

Anyone using an SKB 1SKB-R3S?  (SKB's shallow 3RU roto-molded model with front and back lids)  It looks like it would be a great fit, but I'm a tiny bit concerned about the depth between the front and back rails compared to the depth of the mixer, which is .6" deeper.  How about the handles on the front of the X32 (which I assume are removable)?  Are you using something else that works well?

Thanks for your insight!

Since these were taken, I have gone to an 8 space SKB roller rack.  I am actually wishing I would have gone with the 6 space instead though since it would be smaller and somewhat lighter.

As you can see from the picture below, I used to use a wood case.  Here was the issue.... it was darned heavy.  The point of going with the X32 Rack was to make things smaller and lighter.  The rack was heavier than everything inside it .... so it is gathering dust in my basement storage now :)

I also thought about getting a rack that was JUST big enough for the X32 Rack; however, I have my IEM send, 8 channel DI, and power strip that all need to be permanently wired into the case.  6 spaces would be perfect for this.

As you can see, I also have an LED light in the back of my rack.  This is very cool for hook up and tear down since I can't forget to bring the flash light ;)

I have been considering making a patch panel on the back of my current rack as well.  That way I wouldn't need to reach into the back to plug in the XLR's.  It isn't bad, but it could be made better.  Since my band is generally what gets hooked up, I could also use the patch panel to label the inputs on the back so even my band members .... who can't seem to remember where their mics and instruments plug in no matter how many times I tell them .... could plug in without bothering me during setup.

Finally, I have a color coded vDrum snake that goes into the DI.  I have tapped this to the top of the DI for both the vDrum side and the DI side so that my Drummer can plug in his own equipment.

In a pinch, we can setup the entire PA (without lighting) in 30 minutes.  With my old passive speakers and analog mixer rig, I used to leave 2 hours for setup.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »

Since these were taken, I have gone to an 8 space SKB roller rack.  I am actually wishing I would have gone with the 6 space instead though since it would be smaller and somewhat lighter.

As you can see from the picture below, I used to use a wood case.  Here was the issue.... it was darned heavy.  The point of going with the X32 Rack was to make things smaller and lighter.  The rack was heavier than everything inside it .... so it is gathering dust in my basement storage now :)

I also thought about getting a rack that was JUST big enough for the X32 Rack; however, I have my IEM send, 8 channel DI, and power strip that all need to be permanently wired into the case.  6 spaces would be perfect for this.

As you can see, I also have an LED light in the back of my rack.  This is very cool for hook up and tear down since I can't forget to bring the flash light ;)

I have been considering making a patch panel on the back of my current rack as well.  That way I wouldn't need to reach into the back to plug in the XLR's.  It isn't bad, but it could be made better.  Since my band is generally what gets hooked up, I could also use the patch panel to label the inputs on the back so even my band members .... who can't seem to remember where their mics and instruments plug in no matter how many times I tell them .... could plug in without bothering me during setup.

Finally, I have a color coded vDrum snake that goes into the DI.  I have tapped this to the top of the DI for both the vDrum side and the DI side so that my Drummer can plug in his own equipment.

In a pinch, we can setup the entire PA (without lighting) in 30 minutes.  With my old passive speakers and analog mixer rig, I used to leave 2 hours for setup.

From experience, reaching into the dark depths of the cabinet to connect your inputs sucks monkey balls.

I have two X32R's.  One resides in an FX case.  It was a c' hair short of the back closing so I added some 3/4" nylon spacers to the front of the rack.

The other one I have in a regular rack with a some outbound wireless and I used a patch panel to bring the XLR's to the front.

Both solutions work great for me.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

From experience, reaching into the dark depths of the cabinet to connect your inputs sucks monkey balls.

I have two X32R's.  One resides in an FX case.  It was a c' hair short of the back closing so I added some 3/4" nylon spacers to the front of the rack.

The other one I have in a regular rack with a some outbound wireless and I used a patch panel to bring the XLR's to the front.

Both solutions work great for me.

LOL.   Yep.  Definitely monkey balls ;)

I still like the idea of having the X32R mounted back into the rack with a patch panel vs the X32R being flush with the back.  I have quite a few connections that are never removed (like my DI inputs from the DI and the IEM aux taps).

Of course, if I were to have only a small 8 position patch panel, it would limit the flexibility of my rig.

Since my rig only gets used a few times a year for anything other than my own band, I suppose it wouldn't be too big a deal to re-route it for those times.

Gave me a good laugh you did ;)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »

Here is my stealth rig. Grundorf 8 space rack. Love it. I can close the shallow lids without disconnection of cables and if I really need to make it look neat you can get the cover on the back with all the cabling going out the bottom to stay put!

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.