ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Case for an X32 Rack  (Read 19676 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Case for an X32 Rack
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »

Audiopile sells cases of many depths.  They are well built.

I'd get a 4 space so you can keep things like a wireless access point in that last 1u.

My X32 Rack case is an SKB 6U rolling rack with a UPS in the bottom, the X32, then a rack that the Airport Express straps to.  The UPS is heavy so I wanted wheels.
Corey, I've got a CompactTP but am looking at adding a Rack soon and want the lightest 6U option available for a case.  I always move my own gear and transport in my own vehicle so I think the SKB tupperware option will work fine.  I like the SKB 6U rolling one you link to but as Scott notes, the full depth case puts the inputs on the back of the mixer ~10" inside the back lid.  Is that a problem for you when connecting/disconnecting cables or do you leave a stage snake attached?  I'm also looking at the non-rolling "shallow" version:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=792&o=&offset=&c=114&s=80

...but am not totally sure the mixer will fit front-to-back -- besides I like the idea of wheels.  Any thoughts/perspective based on your experience?

...dave
..db

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »

I like the SKB 6U rolling one you link to but as Scott notes, the full depth case puts the inputs on the back of the mixer ~10" inside the back lid.  Is that a problem for you when connecting/disconnecting cables or do you leave a stage snake attached?  Any thoughts/perspective based on your experience?

6U is a lot of room to fit your arm in there.  10" isn't much depth to reach. 
Here's a pic for reference.  It's cluttered because i just had it thrown together testing something.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:00:00 PM by Corey Scogin »

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:43 PM »

6U is a lot of room to fit your arm in there.  10" isn't much depth to reach. 
Here's a pic for reference.  It's cluttered because i just had it thrown together testing something.
Looks workable. Thanks for the timely response!

...dave
..db

Pete Bansen

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »

I borrowed one of the SKB R3S cases that I originally inquired about to see how the Rack would fit that case.  I'll post some pictures below.

Bottom line - the sort of shallow SKB 3 RU case fits like it was custom made for the X32 Rack. 

Based on the comments and suggestions received here, I went with a UPS and a 6 space EWI case to provide some space around the Rack.  That turned out great, although it is heavy, mostly due to the weight of the UPS.  I'll post some pictures of that later on.

Pete Bansen

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »

Here are some pictures of the X32 Rack in an EWI case with a UPS and AirPort Extreme:

Seems like this configuration will work really well.  This the 12" depth EWI case, by the way - R6UE-12 at $110 (great deal for a case of this quality!)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:46:29 AM by Pete Bansen »

Nate Zifra

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »

Here's what I use for my throw and go:  Old 6 space SKB rack, Art patchbays, and 20 Amp rack mount power strips for a poor man's distribution.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »

Audiopile sells cases of many depths.  They are well built.

I'd get a 4 space so you can keep things like a wireless access point in that last 1u.

My X32 Rack case is an SKB 6U rolling rack with a UPS in the bottom, the X32, then a rack that the Airport Express straps to.  The UPS is heavy so I wanted wheels.

Just got 2 DL16's Planned on racking them and the same cyberpower 500VA 300W 1u UPS in the 6u case.
My plan was to use the one UPS for both stage boxes and then run a power cable( 100-150 ft ) out to FOH with the cat5 cable to power the console (m32) , router, maybe a pc for playback.  Do you think the cyberpower can handle that load ?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »

Hold on I will be back......
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »

I'm going to acquire an X32 Rack and wondered what the folks who are already using one are using for a case.

Anyone using an SKB 1SKB-R3S?  (SKB's shallow 3RU roto-molded model with front and back lids)  It looks like it would be a great fit, but I'm a tiny bit concerned about the depth between the front and back rails compared to the depth of the mixer, which is .6" deeper.  How about the handles on the front of the X32 (which I assume are removable)?  Are you using something else that works well?

Thanks for your insight!

We use a custom built 6 space case in a case with 1" foam built by RoadHawg Cases.  It house the X32 Rack, 2 space rack drawer for cable and access point and UPS power supply.  it is a fantastic setup and easy to transport.

www.roadhawg.com is the web address and tell Mark that Schnake said 'get to work'.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

The mixer gets warm.  I went with a 4 space Gator rack bag.  There's enough room inside to store my access point, a power strip, and a couple of patch cables and have ventilation while in use.

This. They do get warm and have passive cooling only on the SIDES of the unit. I would get at least a 4U or 6U for venting and space or add something small for active cooling. One of ours that we had in a shallow 3U case for a show was warmer than I'm okay with after 4+ hours. Got it a new home in a 6U case the next day and it was much cooler.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.