ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a rough guide to work out power distribution for passive crossovers?  (Read 6543 times)

Don Boomer

• RF Venue

I don't know how you could come to a generalization. It's gonna depend on the differences in sensitivity of the drivers since typically the HF devices are padded down 10 dB.

What are you really trying to determine by the question?
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England

What are you really trying to determine by the question?

What percentage of the power of the amplifier is likely to be applied to each output of the crossover.  It's more academic than practical really. Just something I was thinking about and would like to know the answer to.

Steve.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland

The eighth act was a very loud grunge/metal band (I enjoyed them but they were an inappropriate choice for an arts festival!).

It was a smallish room and I was only amplifying vocals
but I had to put them quite high to get them above the level of their guitar stacks and I got to wondering how much power would actually go to the top speakers if I ran at full power (which it wasn't)

The amplifier is 500w per side.  The subs are 400w and the tops are 200w.  I doubt that the HF output through the crossover would drive the speaker to 200w as I would expect the sub output to take the bulk of the power but I was wondering if there was an accepted ratio or simple calculation based on the crossover frequency.

Steve.

The bold part could really skew your power distribution well outside of any reasonable generalisation unfortunately - if you are only putting vocals through, you probably have less LF content to start with, and if the lead vox does any screamo type stuff you could easily exceed a "best guess" estimate of power delivered to the top cabs.
You amp is however only rated about 4dB more powerfully than the top speakers, so assuming it's kept out of clip (you did suggest this was the case) and any screamo type events are of short duration, you'd probably "get away with it", albeit I'd have been experiencing some significant cheek clenching were I in your shoes at the time.

Regards,
David.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England

The bold part could really skew your power distribution well outside of any reasonable generalisation unfortunately - if you are only putting vocals through, you probably have less LF content to start with, and if the lead vox does any screamo type stuff you could easily exceed a "best guess" estimate of power delivered to the top cabs.

I hadn't thought of that.  It's a good point.

You amp is however only rated about 4dB more powerfully than the top speakers, so assuming it's kept out of clip (you did suggest this was the case) and any screamo type events are of short duration, you'd probably "get away with it", albeit I'd have been experiencing some significant cheek clenching were I in your shoes at the time.

That's about it!  I did keep the vocals at the low end of intelligible rather than make them too prominent - more for fear of being shut down by the venue's owner for being too loud than worrying about speaker damage!

Thanks to everyone for your input.  I am trying to think a bit more academically than practically here though.  I gave the details of last weekends event more as a reason for my thinking than as a case study.

For an average music input or pink noise, I would like to know if there is a way of working out the LF:HF power distribution given the upper and lower limits and the crossover frequency.  There must be a way of working it out, it's just that I don't know what it is!

Steve.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue

What percentage of the power of the amplifier is likely to be applied to each output of the crossover.  It's more academic than practical really. Just something I was thinking about and would like to know the answer to.

Steve.

Your initial post would describe the motion required of a single driver to product SPL.  This mythical driver would also have to have identical efficiency across the entire bandwidth ( which is unlikely).  But in a system the sensitivities of two drivers would likely be very different.
So I guess you could approximate the power required to the input of each driver by offsetting for this.

But real world crossover often contain filters that restrict even output at all frequencies to compensate for driver abnormalities.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.