ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transmitters for Shure U4D Receivers  (Read 2313 times)

Shane Reed

Transmitters for Shure U4D Receivers
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:02:07 pm »

I have several Shure U4D receivers that I use with U1 and U2 transmitters. The system is 11 years old and the receivers work fine, but the transmitters are wearing out. We've taken care of them so they've given us many years, but time is taking its toll. I was wondering what the best option would be for a transmitter that would work with the U4D receivers? Would the Shure UHF-R transmitters work fine or am I just out of luck?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Transmitters for Shure U4D Receivers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »

I have several Shure U4D receivers that I use with U1 and U2 transmitters. The system is 11 years old and the receivers work fine, but the transmitters are wearing out. We've taken care of them so they've given us many years, but time is taking its toll. I was wondering what the best option would be for a transmitter that would work with the U4D receivers? Would the Shure UHF-R transmitters work fine or am I just out of luck?

You might be able to send em back for repair. For a flat fee they often just supply a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »

Shane, where are you located at?

I just popped this question (Could you purchase UHF-R transmitters in the same range and use them with the U4D receivers?) to my CSR at Shure, and here's what he told me:

I donít believe they operate in the same frequency band. The U4D system operates in the 700-900 frequency range which is no long useable in the US. The few UR units that cover that range arenít even sold in this country. Also I found this on our site: ďEven if the UR1 frequency matches the U4D frequency, the combination will not work properly. The audio companding scheme is different, as is the tone key squelch scheme.Ē

So you might be looking at buying some new gear.  :D

If they're in the 698-802MHz range, and you are in the US, they certainly will NOT repair or replace any of the gear for you.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Shane Reed

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 06:45:31 pm »

Thanks Ray.  My receivers are in the 500mhz range so frequency shouldn't be a problem.  The the audio companding and tone key may be though. As far a replacing my U1 and U2 transmitters, I'm not sure that will work either as they discontinued those several years ago when they released the UHF-R series.  That is why I was hoping the UR1 and UR2 would be somewhat compatible.

Shane Reed

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:46:17 pm »

Oh, and I'm located in Louisiana.

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore, MD / Amsterdam, NL
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:52:40 pm »

As far as interoperability, your answer might be best found (or asked) on Shure's knowledge base.  They might "work" but things like battery telemetry, RF metering and tone key may not be compatible.

As for service, Shure's documentation says they will only still service the M4 band of the UHF systems, although if you're in the 500 MHz band (J4), I'm not sure why they wouldn't work on them from a frequency standpoint maybe other than parts availability.  But if you're running in some other frequency band, you'll need to try to find a 3rd party service center to work on them.

The UHF was a standard touring rig for many years, but since the UHF-R system has been out for almost a decade now, it might be worth selling the few working components on FleaBay and upgrading to something new.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:52:40 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.