ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GFCI Question  (Read 9751 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
GFCI Question
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »

Are GFCI's typically required for the sound system power when outdoors? Such as amp racks for main and monitors. 

Or are they just required for stage power? Such as stringer boxes for the band power.

Thanks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: GFCI Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »

Are GFCI's typically required for the sound system power when outdoors? Such as amp racks for main and monitors. 

Or are they just required for stage power? Such as stringer boxes for the band power.

Thanks

Everything I have been told is that the GFCI protection is needed for circuits that are "accessible to the public," and since amp racks (and the connections to the rackpacks) are shielded from public view/access, those circuits do not need GFCI protection.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Guy Holt

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »

Everything I have been told is that the GFCI protection is needed for circuits that are "accessible to the public," and since amp racks (and the connections to the rackpacks) are shielded from public view/access, those circuits do not need GFCI protection.

Where that was once true, it is no longer the case. Prior to 1996, NEC Article 305 and OSHA 1926.404(b) both permitted either the use of an Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program (AEGCP) by “qualified personnel” (i.e. not the general publc) or the use of GFCI protection for all 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-Ampere receptacle outlets on construction sites. The concept of the AEGCP is that frequent and regular inspection and testing of all equipment grounding conductors, receptacles and attachment plugs by qualified personnel, will "assure" that the continuity of the Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) is maintained and that a low-impedance grounding path will protect workers sufficiently against the hazards of electrical shock by facilitating the operation of over-current devices (fuses & breakers.)

In the 1996 NEC, two significant changes occurred in Section 305-6, "Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel." First, the scope of the GFCI requirements was greatly expanded by removing the limitation to construction sites only. Prior to the 1996 NEC, the GFCI requirements for 15- and 20- ampere, 125-volt receptacle outlets, only applied to personnel on construction sites. The 1996 NEC removed this limitation and expanded the scope of the provision to include all "temporary wiring installations utilized to supply temporary power to equipment used by personnel during construction, remodeling, maintenance, repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities (namely us.)"

The second significant change was the restrictions placed on the use of the AEGCP. Prior to the 1996 NEC, either the use of a GFCI or adherence to an AEGCP would meet the requirements of this section. In the 1996 NEC, the use of the AEGCP was strictly limited to "other receptacles not covered in (a)." This meant that, for other than industrial establishments all 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt, single-phase receptacle outlets had to be provided with GFCI protection. Subsequent revisions to the code have continued to expand the scope of GFCI protection to include 30-ampere, 125-volt, single-phase receptacle outlets. And, since fulfillment of this requirement is often accomplished by the use of cord sets which incorporate a GFCI device, the NEC prescribes in Section 305-6(a) the type of cord-set permitted as follows: "cord sets or devices incorporating listed ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel identified for portable use."

More recently, the 2014 edition of the NEC has revised section 445.20, Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter Protection for Receptacles on 15 kW or Smaller Portable Generators to include language that requires the use of GFCI devices on all 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt, single-phase receptacle outlets of generators smaller than 15kw when their 240V receptacles are in use. What this means is that, as municipalities adopt the 2014 edition of the NEC, you will have to use GFCI devices on the Honda EU6500is and the new EU7000is when using splitter boxes on the 240V receptacle. For more detailed information on how to design a ground fault protection system for temporary installations, see my IA Ground Fault Protection workshop available at http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/481_GFCI_Workshop.html.

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip
www.screenlightandgrip.com

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:43:40 PM »

If it has been against code since 1996, why would Motion Labs then continue to sell RackPacks that lack GFCI protection?

Thanks,

Ray
Kelcema Audio

Guy Holt

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »

If it has been against code since 1996, why would Motion Labs then continue to sell RackPacks that lack GFCI protection?

Are they intended for outdoor use? Do they have a 3R "All Weather" rated housing?

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »

Are they intended for outdoor use? Do they have a 3R "All Weather" rated housing?

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip

No, they are intended for indoor use only, and 1R enclosure. But, everyone uses them in amp racks that go everywhere, including outside. Since Jamin's question involved these types of RackPacks, that is why I answered how I did: that the amps connected to those rack packs, being not accessible to the general public, did not need to be GFCI protected. I have not heard of an inspector shutting down a stage because of a lack of GFCI protection on rack packs, but it's possible that it has happened.

I just wanted to best answer Jamin's question regarding needing the protection on the amp racks. It sounds like code stipulates that these indoor-rated only RackPacks would NOT be acceptable for amp racks used outdoors, but again… everyone does it…

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip

I looked through the Motion Labs website and didn't see where it mentioned an outdoor rating for any of their distros large or small. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »

I don't know about rules, but I'd like GFCI indoors and outdoors.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »

I don't know about rules, but I'd like GFCI indoors and outdoors.

JR

Probably a good idea.

Just wondering if they are required for amps racks when outdoors.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »

If you are at an event that falls under Art 525 "Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs and similar events" 525.23 requires that all non-locking receptacles used for assembly and re-assembly must be GFCI protected.  I suppose you could make the argument that amp racks are not routinely assembled and reassembled?

It seems the "spirit" of the rule is to require GFCI protection where frequent assembly/disassembly would lead to fatigue and possible accidental separation.   
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.