ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical wiring for church sound system (former public school)  (Read 18203 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Electrical wiring for church sound system (former public school)
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 12:23:59 pm »

Im not going to be able to get a subpanel just for that, the reason was for the furnaces and lighting too.  But know what you mean ideally.  Im hoping (if I have control) to have them on separate phases from the heating and especially lighting, much of the reason I was thinking same phase, I remember now.

Sounds like having dedicated neutrals is the way to go.  Wouldn't be the first time Ive had to do that for computer stuff too.  The issue is thinking of how to convince them.  He's now saying running two 12/3s to the front 4 receptacles (circuit each), which may be overkill?

Make him run 12-2/ground for each circuit. No shared neutral!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

D Edgcumbe

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 04:42:40 pm »

Make him run 12-2/ground for each circuit. No shared neutral!

I can't 'make' them do anything....it is done - with 12/3.  I (yous) wasn't convincing enough, even referring to been discussing it with professionals including electricians (my thoughts don't hold weight), being unanimous on this point..... sorry Im wasting your time.

Any consolation, they ran two 12/3 to front and two separate ones to secondary location, from the possible (unknown) furnace room...I probably would have done two 12/2, so I guess it could be wired/rewired that way with a spare wire (or isolated ground).  Although apparently the isolated ground isn't done anymore.

Our code in Canada doesn't (yet) require double pole breakers if the circuits are going to separate receptacle/lighting devices.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:03 pm »

I can't 'make' them do anything....it is done - with 12/3.  I (yous) wasn't convincing enough, even referring to been discussing it with professionals including electricians (my thoughts don't hold weight), being unanimous on this point..... sorry Im wasting your time.

Mo problem.  You did what you could.  Good well planned power is the first line of defense, but it is not the last.  If you pick up some hum somewhere it can be fixed.

In my case, the power for the platform comes from the 1969 building.  The power for the booth comes from the 2006 building.  Yes, separate buildings.  There are between 6 and 7 panels between the outlets.

We have no hum,and no buzz, none, ever.

I do have about $1000 in audio isolation transformers, but no hum.

So you can have a good system.
Not to Code

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:03 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.