ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: feds to regulate Christmas lights  (Read 7183 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: feds to regulate Christmas lights
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »

I'm guessing the market would self correct this in fairly short order with LEDs which are a natural for 12 VDC supply.
In what world are LEDs natural for 12V supply? They typically drop 2-4 volts across each and any string will have tens of them, Putting them in series makes an easier, lower current load, to interface with medium to high PS voltage,
Perhaps LED suppliers behind the push-to keep demand/pricing up?
The LED makers are betting on residential lighting... I thought all but the cheapest christmas lights were already LED?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:07 PM »

In what world are LEDs natural for 12V supply? They typically drop 2-4 volts across each and any string will have tens of them, Putting them in series makes an easier, lower current load, to interface with medium to high PS voltage, The LED makers are betting on residential lighting... I thought all but the cheapest christmas lights were already LED?

JR

I converted all my lights to LED two years ago.  Never paid much attention to the configuration.  This year I am going to amp it up with some DMX addressable light strings.  The price has come way down out of China and some great hacking sites.  I will have some type of pixel addressable simple animated display on the roof and some wrapped trees running chases. All sorts of cool opportunities.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »

In what world are LEDs natural for 12V supply? They typically drop 2-4 volts across each and any string will have tens of them, Putting them in series makes an easier, lower current load, to interface with medium to high PS voltage.

Of course you are right-what I have observed is that much resi lighting is using nominal 12 VDC supply on the LED sources-probably multiple LEDs in series-perhaps even on the same chip?  I haven't researched the actual internal design-but  it seems they have standardized on that voltage as a supply voltage-even for lamps that appear to be a single LED.
Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 01:45:45 AM »

The LED makers are betting on residential lighting... I thought all but the cheapest christmas lights were already LED?

Our local council has replaced all of our street lighting with LED.  It's much better than the old sodium vapour lamps it has replaced.  We don't get a horrible orange light pollution glow above built up areas now.

Here, the cheapest Christmas lights are LED.

Steve.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »

Perhaps 12-volt Wall Warts are the way to go with this, just like outside sidewalk lighting.

Made by the same Chinese companies that make knockoff iPhone chargers that electrocute people?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 02:27:52 AM »

12v is on the low side I think. Christmas lights tend to have long runs and many consumes on the wire so thick gauge wire is needed to compensate for the cable loss.

I think that 50v is a more resonable number for that kind of stuff. They should also be pwm-driven to save power...

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »

Here is how similar lights are done now.
http://r.ebay.com/zQu4LD

12 volt DC  You can cu the strip to any length at 3 LED intervals  (the ribbon is printed for series / parallel connection of the LEDs.  It is not hard to imagine this mfg technique packaged in a more traditional Christmas light string.

I have the single color ribbon LEDs that look like this under the kitchen counter.  The effect looks great and they work well.
Not to Code

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »

The company I work for makes flexible LED light panels for this company: http://designledproducts.com/

Steve.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »

Here is how similar lights are done now.
http://r.ebay.com/zQu4LD

12 volt DC  You can cu the strip to any length at 3 LED intervals  (the ribbon is printed for series / parallel connection of the LEDs.  It is not hard to imagine this mfg technique packaged in a more traditional Christmas light string.

I have the single color ribbon LEDs that look like this under the kitchen counter.  The effect looks great and they work well.

Those do work great as a DIY under cabinet light.  Much cheaper than the under cabinet lights from the big box stores.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.