ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Danley TH118 or 2 Yorkville LS808 ?  (Read 10376 times)

Douglas R. Allen

1 Danley TH118 or 2 Yorkville LS808 ?
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »

As I'm in my 50's now and the work in my area has slowed down I'm thinking of making my last Sub purchase. I've gone from 4 Peavey DTH218b subs down to a pair of Yorkville LS800p subs. These were fine but I had a chance to sell and sold them. I then went to a single QSC HPR181i sub. Fine for smaller rooms and had a great tone but 1 LS800p was louder deeper. Wanting a little more I picked up some QSC Hpr151 amp modules and made some powered subs myself to go with the QSC. These sound fine but I've found still not what I was looking for. All 3 QSC powered boxes are fine and matched up phase wise after retuning the box but lugging and space is more than I want for output that I'm getting. I also have a pair of passive Peavey compact 18's that are ok for some jobs but not a deep sub either. 50hz or so pretty much ties the peavey it up.

I have a chance to clean house of these miss match subs and end my sound days with matched pair or single quality sub. Something with good output and yet smaller foot print. Think VFW , small clubs with 75 to 120 people dancing. Dance country, classic rock , some modern rock but again in small venues.

Looking at the Yorkvilles and Danley sub they seems to fit what I am looking for as far as output. I know when I had the 2 LS800p subs they did 95 percent of the jobs I was doing with some room to spare. I want to go passive now to save weight. I have an amp that gives me 2600 watts at 4 ohms. I'm happy with the amp and it will be the main amp I'll use. I may use smaller amps as jobs require. I have 5 amps kicking around so I might as well use them.

When I measured the LS800p I noted a peak in output at aprox 80hz. This seemed to show up in most rooms. Believing that the LS808 passive speaker may have the same voicing I'm guessing its 105 db 1w1m rating is at 90hz. 2 yorkvilles would get me 111db's 1w1m close coupled. The Danley is close to the yorkville pair with what looks like aprox 110 db's at 90hz. (At 20 watts 10 meters, distance corrected ) So 107 db's corrected with 1 watt input?

I realize this will be my last sub (s) I purchase to get me through the last gigs until I ride off into the sound person sunset so part of me wants to go with the quality sound and deepness I'm sure the Danley will give. ( To retire on a danley sub would be a nice way to go  :)  ) The other part of me wants to have the 2 larger Yorkvilles with their thump kind of sound.  My tops won't be on the subs. I center cluster 95 percent of the time.
Tops would be Yorkville Ef500p's. 2-4 EV SXA250's , sometimes a pair of passive sx250's. Or even a pair of SP2X depending on venue.

So what is everyone's thought on these? I like the idea of a single sub with close to the same output. I am sure the Danley would go deeper. Size in the van puts the Danley at a plus as well. I'm unsure of the pricing so this would factor in as well.

I looked at the JTR sub of aprox the same output but at 200lbs or so I feel it would be too much. Same with the new JBL800 powered 2-18 sub.

Thoughts?

Douglas R. Allen

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: 1 Danley TH118 or 2 Yorkville LS808 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »

I can't tell how the different cabinets would compare (SPL and freq response wise)-without more data, but I would suspect that the Th115 would be closer to the pair of front loaded 18s.

The TH118 has about 6dB greater output than the TH115 and goes lower-in the same size cabinet.

The Th 115 has a little more "puncher sound" than the TH118.

The Th115 also is a good bit less money.

Both cabinets are real easy to move around-no bending over and lifting, just tilt  back and roll.

If you lay them on their sides-they would have a lower profile than the front loaded 18s-which could be desirable in some cases.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »

I've used both LS800P and TH118 (and TH115) subs, but not AB'ed.  I would get a TH118 without a second thought, except maybe get a larger amp. 

Once the EQ responses of both are matched, the Yorkvilles aren't that loud.  Their rear horn/scoop design doesn't have as accurate phase response, I remember them as woofy sounding.

Preference wise, I'd take 118 over 115.  More efficient, more SPL on tap, plays deeper/sounds "bigger".  I believe the price points between the 115 and 118 have actually narrowed over the years.  Used 115s are more common and priced great, a guy locally has a few I believe are still for sale.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Richard Turner

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:42:58 PM »

LS808 and LS800p are essentially the same, self powered uses a 4 ohm voice coil to load the amp module, You can actually push the passive box more as you can feed more amperage to it. both are really a MI grade box based on 20+ year old tech. Have a look at RCF self powered boxes, The expected resale value might offset the initial cost of ownership.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »

Listen before you buy.

Don't go strictly by the spec sheets or what other people say.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:47:57 AM »

Listen before you buy.

Don't go strictly by the spec sheets or what other people say.

That's sort of where  at now. I owned the ls800p and I'm sure I can make the
Ls808's sound as good if not better. Yet the th118 gets great reviews and I'm sure will go deeper.

What's your take on the new srx800 series 2-15  powered sub? They seem to have dropped some weight from when they were introduced.

Douglas  R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:20:44 AM »

An update as to what I went with.
Managed to sell my old subs and took another look at the current sub offerings. Almost went with the TH118 but had a pair of subs "fall" into my lap and had to pick them up.
A new start up DJ in the area gave up when he found out how much work it was and called me out of the blue and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his LS801pb subs.
Gave them a look and found near mint boxes.
Picked them up for quite a bit less than 1/2 price. Couldn't go wrong at that price.
They have the "bed liner" finish on them so they match well with my EV SXA250 tops for lower level shows.
All in all a good turn around in my sub lineup.

Douglas R. Allen

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »

Managed to sell my old subs and took another look at the current sub offerings. Almost went with the TH118 but had a pair of subs "fall" into my lap and had to pick them up.
A new start up DJ in the area gave up when he found out how much work it was and called me out of the blue and wanted to know if I wanted to buy his LS801pb subs.
Picked them up for quite a bit less than 1/2 price. Couldn't go wrong at that price.
They have the "bed liner" finish on them so they match well with my EV SXA250 tops for lower level shows.

Douglas R. Allen
Always a nice thing when a cost effective solution turns up.
However, if you get a chance, put an ear to a TH115 or TH118.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »

Douglas R. Allen

At last:

A reason for DJ's to exist...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.