ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing Lighting a School Gym  (Read 6302 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Replacing Lighting a School Gym
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »

Hi guys, a friend of mine contacted me yesterday about replacing the old ceiling lights in a high school gym with new LED lights instead.  The lights being replaced are the old gas type that take 3 - 5 minutes to come on full.  So has anyone used LED lighting to replace the old gas ones and if so what would you use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

John Fruits

Re: Replacing Lighting a School Gym
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »

Probably not the type of fixture you are looking for but take a look at the Osram Kreios floodlight.  It has the highest CRI of any led fixture at USITT this year.
http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/led-technology/specialty-lighting/led-luminaires/kreios-fl/kreios-fl/index.jsp
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »

Go to the phone book or internet and find a commercial electrical supply company or distributor nearby. Tell them of your project and ask that they put you in touch with a manufacturer's rep for commercial LED fixtures for lines they carry. They can design and spec this for you using the appropriate products because they've done this before.
Don't forget to ask them for similar installations you can research or look at that use the products they are recommending.
Our local fairgrounds arena converted from mercury & sodium vapor lighting to LED and the difference was astounding. A product made by GE I think.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:33:32 PM by Scott Hofmann »
Scott Hofmann

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:02:39 PM »

If effeciency is the main consideration, LED may not be the most economical choice.  The LED replacement for a 400 watt metal halide is 220 watts-you can do better with T8 flourescent at half the fixture cost.  A year ago I installed some 78 watt LEDs to replace 400 watt metal halide wall packs-I do not know why (other than market pressure) outside LEDs seem to be so much better than the indoor -at least in the high bay style fixtures.

Check out www.e-conolight.com.  I have used several of there LED products (but not the high bays) and been happy with their quality-their pricing is really hard to beat.  Cat no's E-AB1L22NU and E-PB1L22NU.
Steve Swaffer

Josh Daws

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »

what stephen said....we were looking at replacing our highbay lights in our warehouse, and discovered that going to high output fluorescent t8's, was cheaper per fixture and cheaper for operating costs...12months later we are still waiting to replace a tube!

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »

Our local fairgrounds arena converted from mercury & sodium vapor lighting to LED and the difference was astounding. A product made by GE I think.

Probably the GE Albeo line.
http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/solutions/indoor-lighting/albeo-led-luminaire-abhx.jsp

Recently retrofitted a Hockey Rink with them. HUGE difference. Things are HEAVY too! Much heavier than the 1000W metal halides they replaced.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »

Thanks for the help guys.  We will get this sorted out in the new couple of days.

William
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.