ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blowing fuses - does this make sense?  (Read 3994 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Blowing fuses - does this make sense?
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »

I have 6 Blizzard Q12's. I keep 4 on a light Tbar and 2 on another as a supplement when I need a bit more light. I normally use the one 4 light bar.

Yesterday, I set both trees up at home just to set up some programs. Whilst I was testing them, everything went off and I had blown a fuse in the first fixture. So I replaced the fuse and switched out the sequence of lamps (1 to 6 and 6 to 1) to see if it happened again.
It did - in the first fixture (which was #6).
So I removed the fixture that had blown first time around ( now #6) and tried one last time and everything was fine.

So it seems it was that first fixture….

This is a lamp I have been using at the weekends without incident till now.

Why would this suddenly happen? Does it just mean that my 8 month old Blizzard is faulty and needs repair?
Could it be caused by something else????
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

duane massey

Re: Blowing fuses - does this make sense?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 11:22:46 pm »

From your description I would guess that the internal power supply on that fixture is bad. Have you tried just plugging in that fixture by itself? That would confirm the problem is in that fixture.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 12:03:33 am »

From your description I would guess that the internal power supply on that fixture is bad. Have you tried just plugging in that fixture by itself? That would confirm the problem is in that fixture.
That is the logical next step I suppose - I just don't want to blow any more fuses !.... I'll do that tomorrow so I can be sure it is that one fixture.

I sent a letter to Blizzard hoping they will be kind and pay for a return for repair.... We'll see.

Now I need to find some 3A F blow fuses for cheap...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:49:49 am »

Fuses are cheap.  Blowing one once in a while on a good unit is rare but normal.  Second fuse in a short time on the same unit says some thing is wrong.  It needs a trip to the service shop or you got a bad fuse the second time around.

This is where I would start metering current draw and the voltage feeding the unit.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:26:57 am »

Are they all on the same outlets or power source?  Is more than one outlet being used to provide the power?   Are they connected together with a DMX cable, belief this to be yes. 

Have you also tested the outlets providing the power to make sure that the small pin for the power has 120 V and that it does not have power on the large pin or ground.   No Contact Voltage Tester. 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:34:32 am »

Fuses are cheap.  Blowing one once in a while on a good unit is rare but normal.  Second fuse in a short time on the same unit says some thing is wrong.

Usually... but make sure you haven't replaced a normal or time delay (T) fuse with a fast blow fuse as even if it's the correct current rating, a fast fuse might blow where a normal one will not.

I had a piece of equipment in for repair a few years ago with nothing wrong with it.  Its owner was just fitting the wrong fuses.

Steve.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:19:06 am »

I have the first future plugged into a trusted ( or so I thought)  6 way- each one plugged into the next. They are DMX chain linked from my router and artnet node so I can use my iPad for wifi.
It's not the same fixture that keeps blowing the fuses but it is always the first fixture in the chain ie the one plugged into the 6 way that blows a fuse. However, this is only if I have that lamp that blew the first time anywhere in the chain.
I'm wondering if a bad DMX cable could cause this.
The fuses I am using are the spare ones that come with the units so I know they are correct.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:28:11 am »

It sounds like the reason the first one in the chain is blowing is that its fuse is carrying the current of all of the others in the chain. Therefore the current through this fuse is the highest.

Steve.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:32:44 am »

I just noticed Customer service had responded this morning - I learned something - I am a dufus......
I am not supposed to be daisy chaining 4 fixtures together ( I had 6 together whilst testing them) so I have been lucky so far doing this. I have been advised to step up to a 5 amp fuse to be able to get my 4 fixtures on the same light bar connected together.
I had no idea that each one ran through the first fuse.
I am really happy that my unit isn't defective and now I just need to replace the fuses I blew, and going forward run 2 power cords up each tree....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:35:26 am »

It sounds like the reason the first one in the chain is blowing is that its fuse is carrying the current of all of the others in the chain. Therefore the current through this fuse is the highest.

Steve.
Yes Steve... I had no idea there was a maximum you could link together as I figured the IEC outputs were connected to the inputs of each fixture therefore bypassing the previous fuse in line

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:56:03 am »

Yes but also consider the second one on the chain because if you move from 5 on on and 3 on the others, you may need to do 4 on the second on in the chain because it has two others added to it.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 11:35:27 am »

I would put a 5A fuse in all of them*  If there is a problem, it will blow.

* Note - that is what I would do and should not be taken as advice!!

Steve.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 12:06:33 pm »

Yes that is what I meant- replace the fuses to 5amp in ALL the fixtures linked together. However, at this point I'll just link them in pairs on the 3 amp fuses till I get around to grabbing some 5 amp fuses.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 02:20:00 pm »

One last thing- a shout out to Bruce at Blizzard for getting back to me so quickly and explaining what my problem was. Tried getting help with Chauvet a couple of times a few years back and I'll just say the end  result wasn't as successful.

duane massey

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 12:23:31 am »

Makes perfect sense, but I am surprised they link the power through the fuses. I'll have to check some other brands to see if this is common practice.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:46 am »

The Blizzard user manuals I have looked at include a specification as to the number of identical fixtures that can be "daisy chained" at 120 volts, 208 volts, and 240 volts AC mains.  IIRC, it varies by model.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 10:44:40 am »

Makes perfect sense, but I am surprised they link the power through the fuses. I'll have to check some other brands to see if this is common practice.

They probably can't make any assumptions about fuse/breaker protection of anything connected downstream, so if the link's not protected with a fuse I think it would need to be able to handle the 15A necessary to trip the circuit breaker upstream.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 10:44:40 am »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.