ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New Soundcraft Console - Si Impact  (Read 49518 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: New Soundcraft Console
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »

Speculating, will it be an X32 killer, or something below the Expression line?

My thought was an 01V equivalent... In your words though... The 01V is already dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »

I'm looking forward to this new board but I'm wondering where it's being manufactured.

Why would it matter?

Steve.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »

"April 28th, 7-9pm"

They didn't specify a time zone...
You would think that if it's at GC on Sunset in Hollyweird it would be Pacific.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

John L Nobile

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »

Why would it matter?

Steve.

Just wondering whether it'll be a Soundcraft design from the ground up or a Chinese design that they've modified and branded.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:45:58 AM »

I would expect it to be a Soundcraft design but mnanufactured in China.

Steve.

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

Steve.

I hope so. But if you save money having manufacturing in China why stop there? Engineers/designers aren't cheap. The lo end market is extremely competitive and lowest price rules for a lot of musicians.

But I am looking forward to this. Any leaks? Counting down......

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 11:38:24 AM »

Steve.

I would also expect a Soundcraft design. To begin with, their DSP is a Soundcraft design, and is a building block used up to and through the Vi series boards in one form or another. Second, their overseas manufacturing is closely watched requiring Soundcraft quality components and workmanship. all design work comes from the limeys. Slightly higher in price with a few less features equals higher quality IMO, which has proven itself to me in the digital realm over the past couple of years. Another point to consider. Having a single repair center can lower costs dramatically. Fortunately Soundcraft hasn't adopted that model and service centers abound if you should ever need them, but that's another part of what you pay for.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »

I hope so. But if you save money having manufacturing in China why stop there? Engineers/designers aren't cheap. The lo end market is extremely competitive and lowest price rules for a lot of musicians.

But I am looking forward to this. Any leaks? Counting down......
You do realize that a great deal of the internet that we are communicating over is though equipment that Chinese engineers reverse engineered from US designs and built themselves.  Brainpower knows no nationality and there are folks there who are perfectly capable of designing a stable wide bandwidth analog circuit not to mention digital ones.

A year an a half ago I was working for a tier one US based contract manufacturer.  I spent a million and a half dollars on new SMT machines.  You know what?  The machines are the same whether you put them in San Jose or Shenzen.  They have the same accuracy and output quality wherever they are.  Now I work in the consumer hardware group of a very large company in Mountain View.  Earlier this year I visited a manufacturing plant in inland China.  They had a preventative maintenance set up that made me cry.  I know of no US plant that does it even half as well.  Next week I'm traveling to another plant over there.  No different than any of the US plants where I've been an engineering manager.  The senior management of most every manufacturing site is primarily concerned with cutting costs to compete with everyone else.  So it doesn't matter where you are.  Your hands are tied and you do the best you can with what you've got.  Chine/US/Mexico, same difference.

A Soundcraft to compete with the X32?  May finally be time to retire the old A&H GL.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »

A year an a half ago I was working for a tier one US based contract manufacturer.  I spent a million and a half dollars on new SMT machines.  You know what?  The machines are the same whether you put them in San Jose or Shenzen.  They have the same accuracy and output quality wherever they are.  Now I work in the consumer hardware group of a very large company in Mountain View.  Earlier this year I visited a manufacturing plant in inland China.  They had a preventative maintenance set up that made me cry.

I work for a UK company, owned by a US company which is owned by a Johnson Electric, a huge Chinese company.

They are not the stereotypical Chinese company most people think of but have a great attitude to quality and employ several continuous improvement techniques borrowed from the Japanese car industry such as Gemba Kaizen, Seven Designs, etc.

When writing off China as just a manufacturer of poor quality products (as many do) remember that was exactly the view most people had of Japan in the 1970s and into the 1980s.

EDIT: Any chance we are taking about the same companies?  Johnson Electric have factories in Shenzen and San Jose.

The machines are the same whether you put them in San Jose or Shenzen.

I suppose there could be many other companies with plants in those locations.

Something we are now seeing though is some manufacturing moving to Mexico (where we used to send it)[size=78%].  There is so much work in China now that wages have had to increase to keep staff so it is not as cost effective as it used to be.[/size]

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:17:10 PM by Steve M Smith »

Thomas Le

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »

Back on topic: 5 more minutes!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.