ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with Turbosound Flex  (Read 38750 times)

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
Re: Need help with Turbosound Flex
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »

Hi Simon,

Thanks once again.  My summer season in now over and the immediate urgency has passed;  but I would still like to convert most of my narrow boxes to wide. Depending on pricing, adding more wides may be an option instead of changing my narrow boxes.

The Flex with Lake processing is an excellent box and I’m grateful that I may be able to make this change and once again have support for the product.

I actually keep spares for the Flex including HF + VHF drivers etc. in stock. You will find most reasonable sized hire companies are capable of changing these components or have local people that can.  You can’t operate a Pro audio company effectively if you can’t, especially in a country the physical size of Australia.

Making the modification in not an issue; Australis has a service agent in Adelaide where I am based that does excellent, quality work
 :)

Making the change requires 2 different sized hex drivers and about 20 minutes per box.  We did 16 in our shop in one afternoon.  Just don't over torque the 6" driver to the horn.  I am pretty sure you already know that.  :-)
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Peter Morris

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 04:27:52 AM »

Making the change requires 2 different sized hex drivers and about 20 minutes per box.  We did 16 in our shop in one afternoon.  Just don't over torque the 6" driver to the horn.  I am pretty sure you already know that.  :-)

Hi Steve,

I assume its only the front section of the horn (part B bottom photo), but I have not done the narrow to wide change over.

... if that's all, its a simple change over. I was expecting that I may have to change the 6" and 1" drivers which mount to the middle section (top photo).

Cheers - Peter
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:32:37 AM by Peter Morris »

Steve Payne

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »

Hi Steve,

I assume its only the front section of the horn (part B bottom photo), but I have not done the narrow to wide change over.

... if that's all, its a simple change over. I was expecting that I may have to change the 6" and 1" drivers which mount to the middle section (top photo).

Cheers - Peter

My guess is that only the front section of the horn is different between the 75 and 100.  However, when we changed ours over, Turbo sent me the entire horn (both sections), so we swapped drivers.  Either way would be pretty simple.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

Peter Morris

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:54:41 AM »

My guess is that only the front section of the horn is different between the 75 and 100.  However, when we changed ours over, Turbo sent me the entire horn (both sections), so we swapped drivers.  Either way would be pretty simple.

It may be both sections. When I was working on the FIR settings I can remember discussing the design and development of the wide box with Dan.  It took him ages to get it right but the end result was probably better than the narrow boxes.  The issue was keeping the horizontal pattern control correct thought the crossover region.   This was also the big issue for the FIR development.  Doing an FIR pre-set that works on axis is trivial; the hard bit was maintaining pattern control. Shame he is no longer with Turbo  :(

Steve Payne

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »

It may be both sections. When I was working on the FIR settings I can remember discussing the design and development of the wide box with Dan.  It took him ages to get it right but the end result was probably better than the narrow boxes.  The issue was keeping the horizontal pattern control correct thought the crossover region.   This was also the big issue for the FIR development.  Doing an FIR pre-set that works on axis is trivial; the hard bit was maintaining pattern control. Shame he is no longer with Turbo  :(

I do not think there is a single upper level design or management person at Turbo from the pre Uli days...
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

Andrew Pardoe

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 12:10:57 AM »

I do not think there is a single upper level design or management person at Turbo from the pre Uli days...

Dear Steve,

My name is Andy Pardoe, Senior Manager, Acoustics and lead designer for Turbosound. I actually worked for Turbosound prior to the acquisition and also together with Dan O on a number of projects; of course we were all sad to see him leave. However, we have since hired a team of very capable acoustic designers, the largest ever Turbosound design team. In particular our focus is on new driver development with new materials that allow very high-power applications.

In relation to Peter’s comment: the FIR equalisation of multi-band horn sections with respect to their on/off axis response and dispersion/coverage is a process we are working on and refining as there are many new projects in the pipeline. With the new investment and resource available to us, we are near to completion of one of the largest in-house anechoic chambers and 3D measurement systems in the business, this in combination with improved simulation techniques will allow us to much more quickly, consistently and accurately provide DSP FIR pattern control and 'voicing' settings. With the new facilities, accuracy will also be extended down the frequency range, encompassing the entire system response.

For the Flex Array question above - you only need to changeover the front section of the horn and then load up the ‘wide’ settings. However make sure you have a good mechanical fit, as there may be small tolerance differences over the years with the PU moulding. If in any doubt at all, swap the drivers to the new complete horn assy.

Please let me know if I can help further.
Andrew Pardoe
Senior Manager, Acoustics
MUSIC Group
www.music-group.com

Steve Payne

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »

Dear Steve,

My name is Andy Pardoe, Senior Manager, Acoustics and lead designer for Turbosound. I actually worked for Turbosound prior to the acquisition and also together with Dan O on a number of projects; of course we were all sad to see him leave. However, we have since hired a team of very capable acoustic designers, the largest ever Turbosound design team. In particular our focus is on new driver development with new materials that allow very high-power applications.

In relation to Peter’s comment: the FIR equalisation of multi-band horn sections with respect to their on/off axis response and dispersion/coverage is a process we are working on and refining as there are many new projects in the pipeline. With the new investment and resource available to us, we are near to completion of one of the largest in-house anechoic chambers and 3D measurement systems in the business, this in combination with improved simulation techniques will allow us to much more quickly, consistently and accurately provide DSP FIR pattern control and 'voicing' settings. With the new facilities, accuracy will also be extended down the frequency range, encompassing the entire system response.

For the Flex Array question above - you only need to changeover the front section of the horn and then load up the ‘wide’ settings. However make sure you have a good mechanical fit, as there may be small tolerance differences over the years with the PU moulding. If in any doubt at all, swap the drivers to the new complete horn assy.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Hi Andrew,
  Please forgive my inaccuracy.  We have not had the pleasure of speaking before.  I believe my company and I hold the distinction of being the oldest, continuous users in the US to feature Turbosound speaker systems, going back to 1980 and working our way through TMS, Floodlight, Aspect (first in the US), and Flex Array (first in the US).  When the MG acquired Turbosound, all of the people that I had been working with left in short order.  That included Simon Blackwood, Dom Harter, Dan Orton, Chris Kmiec, Danny Cooklin, Martin Reid and others. 
  I look forward to the new engineering staff and equipment producing new top tier systems [software improvements for Flex would be especially exciting!  :-)].  So far, the new MG releases from Turbosound have not offered much interest for our particular needs.
  Wishing you all the best and much success.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:19:58 AM by Steve Payne »
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:

Peter Morris

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 05:16:33 AM »

Still need help - can anybody tell the part number of what I need to convert the 75 degree box to 100 degrees.  I only want the horn flare not the the whole compression driver and horn assembly.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Morris

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »

Still need help - can anybody tell the part number of what I need to convert the 75 degree box to 100 degrees.  I only want the horn flare not the the whole compression driver and horn assembly.

Thanks

Peter

anybody ?  :( :( :(

mark lonow

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »

anybody ?  :( :( :(

i had the same issue for about a year poking around for a  flex demo in ohio
i even offered the  shipping  beer and pizza
no luck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.