ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunings for compression driver in JBL SR4722  (Read 949 times)

Peter Johnson 793

Tunings for compression driver in JBL SR4722
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:49 am »

Hello,

I have an old set of JBL SR4722s (first series with 1/4" jacks) with 2206H woofers and 2416H compression drivers.   I am working on bi-amping them. 

I have a DBX driverack PA2 which has tunings loaded in it for the JBL SR4722X, but not the SR4722.  DBX has no tunings that I can find online for the SR4722 . 

The "X"  was basically the same box as mine, the same woofer, the same X-over point (1.2khz), the same horn, but a different compression driver - it uses a 2417H.

So I was thinking that I could load the tunings for the SR4722X and then maybe I would need to make adjustments on account of the different comp drivers.

But what adjustments would I make.    I've looked around and the only thing I've found seems to say that the  2417H was 5 db more efficient than the 2416H- due to a thinner diaphragm?

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Pete

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Tunings for compression driver in JBL SR4722
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:09:14 pm »

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Pete

Contact JBL Professional.  They can give you the info you need or at least point you in the right direction.  Failing that, how about using the 4722 setting and using your ears?

Efficiency and sensitivity are different things in transducer design.  Efficiency is how much electricity gets converted into acoustic output; sensitivity is how much SPL is produced for a specified electrical input.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Peter Johnson 793

Re: Tunings for compression driver in JBL SR4722
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 04:12:34 pm »

Contact JBL Professional.  They can give you the info you need or at least point you in the right direction.  Failing that, how about using the 4722 setting and using your ears?

Efficiency and sensitivity are different things in transducer design.  Efficiency is how much electricity gets converted into acoustic output; sensitivity is how much SPL is produced for a specified electrical input.

Thanks Tim,

I've sent  an email to them.  I can try my ear, or use it to make fine adjustments, after getting as far as I can with the published tunings.   I may end up there.  Let's see if i get a response from JBL. 

My speakers are oldies but goodies  - I understand that nowadays all of this is built right in to the speakers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.