ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: #2 SC 200a feeder cable?  (Read 8350 times)

Jeffery Foster

#2 SC 200a feeder cable?
« on: April 15, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »

Doing a quick forum search, I saw several references to people suggesting #2 cable for their single conductor feeder cables at a 200a distro. 
Isn't #2 rated at 190a? Or am I overlooking something silly?
Assume we are talking about 100' of it.
Thanks!

Guy Holt

Re: #2 SC 200a feeder cable?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »

No you are not.  2 AWG SC cable is rated at 190A.  The typical over current protection used on film sets for #2 is 160A.

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip
www.screenlightandgrip.com

Jeffery Foster

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:11:53 PM »

Thank you, Guy.

So in choosing the correct feeder cable size, I would both; de-rate it depending on the terminal temperature rating (lugs, etc), as well as figure the acceptable and anticipated voltage drop?

I appreciate your information in this and other posts that you have contributed to.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »

Myself, and plenty of other people in my area, use #2 SC for distros-- unless you are running things Full Tilt Boogie, you will be OK. As always, your mileage may vary and exercise standard cautions in monitoring your gear-- but I have a huge pile of #2 and have never had a problem. Of course, I also don't ever even approach 100A/leg on things! (Remembering that the 190A/leg is per cable conductor…)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jeffery Foster

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »

Ray,

I appreciate your input. Have you ever had an inspector give your #2 cable a sideways look?

Myself, and plenty of other people in my area, use #2 SC for distros-- unless you are running things Full Tilt Boogie, you will be OK. As always, your mileage may vary and exercise standard cautions in monitoring your gear-- but I have a huge pile of #2 and have never had a problem. Of course, I also don't ever even approach 100A/leg on things! (Remembering that the 190A/leg is per cable conductor…)

-Ray

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »

Doing a quick forum search, I saw several references to people suggesting #2 cable for their single conductor feeder cables at a 200a distro. 
Thanks!
Best practice is #2 for 100A, 2/0 for 200A, 4/0 for 400A.  Keep in mind that there are two issues:
- What the electrical inspector says
- The voltage drop at the end of your run

If you're running 100' of #2 wire even at 190A, you're going to have pretty significant voltage drop.  IMO fudging isn't worth it if you're that close to the edge.  On the other hand, if you're only using 100A worth of load you will likely be OK, however code says you need to use an in-line breaker at the source end of your run.  Something like this: http://motionlabs.com/c-30-breakered-disconnect.aspx

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »

Ray,

I appreciate your input. Have you ever had an inspector give your #2 cable a sideways look?

Nope. But, I'm only providing power for PA/FOH/backline, not lighting. Things change big time when you step that up. :) I also mostly do things that are coming right from my 45kW MQ -- and that's breakered at 110A/leg anyways, so I can never draw more then that.

The Big Boys of PA and power in our region do have plenty of 2/0 and 4/0 -- and for large festivals/spread out power distribution, I'll see 4/0 for large PA/lighting rigs, and 2/0 for vendor booth distro feeder. (then L21-20 twist from there to booth stringers)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »

Thanks!

Around here (Ontario Canada) #2 used to be "passable" for 200amps. Yes, it's only rated for 190amps but you wouldn't get defected for using it. In the last couple of years the inspectors have started to look closer at this so usually we breaker #2 at 175 amps. We run #2 for up to 175A, 2/0 for 200A and 4/0 for 400A.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »

Code allows the next larger standard breaker size (defined in code) on circuits under 800 amps.  Though actual "ampacity" involves temperature derating, derating for number of conductors in a cable/conduit, etc-its not usually the number listed in the table.

Unless there are other requirements for portable use that I am overlooking.  Whether or not that is appropriate involves other considerations as others have mentioned.
Steve Swaffer

Jeffery Foster

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »

Stephen, I've always appreciated your contributions here.

Code allows the next larger standard breaker size (defined in code) on circuits under 800 amps.

Is this true? I had no idea.

FWIW, I just decided to bite the bullet and get 2/0 cable.  It's only money, right? And the live sound business will forever be profitable with no downturn, right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.