ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with small cruise boat install please  (Read 8619 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Help with small cruise boat install please
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »

I owe a long overdue followup, and thanks to those who helped me in this thread several months ago.

The small cruise boat install ended up going very well.

For about $1500 in parts, I was able to put in 8 outdoor wall mounted speakers on the top open-air deck, and 10 ceiling mount speakers in the enclosed bottom deck.

Used Berry to save $ .....a $260 SN2408 paging mixer gave ducking inputs (3), variable ducking level, mono summing for 2 ipods, and overall volume and tone controls. Didn't use its integrated 70wamp.
A 3000dsp  inuke gave speaker zone control, eq, and limiting.
A bit kludged maybe, using the amp gains for zone volume control, but the crew on boat follows it easy enough....

I intended to 70v the speakers with a 6000dsp (to get the necessary voltage per channel or rather per deck) , but found the wall mounted speakers really sounded better using their 8 ohm setting that bypassed their tranny taps.
Since decent size wire was more or less in place, I just series/paralled speakers on each deck to bring load to around 4 ohms per channel, and was able to drop down to the 3000 amp. 

All in all it was a great leaning experience, more importantly with happy results.
Thx again for the help!  Mark

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »

The series-parallel speaker configuration could get dicey to troubleshoot in the future if/when speakers go bad.. I hope you documented the funny wiring, so some service guy in the future can suss it out.

The CV systems are easier that way... while cheap transformers won't like bass boost.

JR

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

The series-parallel speaker configuration could get dicey to troubleshoot in the future if/when speakers go bad.. I hope you documented the funny wiring, so some service guy in the future can suss it out.

JR

Good point!  I'll leave them with some better drawings......

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.