ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha - New Mixer - TF series  (Read 86258 times)

John Brearton

• The Right Sound Co.
Re: Yamaha - New Mixer - TF series
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2015, 08:02:52 PM »

[Edit 06/25 to add:  Reading back through, there is one BIG thing that you should be aware of when considering this console.  I thought I had previously mentioned it, but apparently not.  Channels 33-40 are NOT full channels.  They have only 2 bands of parametric EQ and NO dynamics at all.  While Yamaha bills this as having 40 channels plus stereo, only the first 32 channels on the TF3/TF5 are full strips.  Granted, it is still nice to have those extra 8 inputs as long as you are aware of their limitations.  These channels can work fine for things like music playback, outboard effects returns, USB playback from DAW and so on.  The TF1 does not have this issue because it only has 32 mic channels plus the stereo and EFX.]

I have been reading specs and FAQ and do not see how one accesses the all 40 of the inputs. There are 32 preamps and 2 pairs (4) RCAs so I assume the last 8 would need to come thru an outboard I/O via USB or the yet-to-be released card?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:49 PM »

I have been reading specs and FAQ and do not see how one accesses the all 40 of the inputs. There are 32 preamps and 2 pairs (4) RCAs so I assume the last 8 would need to come thru an outboard I/O via USB or the yet-to-be released card?

32 + 4 is 36 so only four need to come from somewhere else. There is a slot for an option card which they claim will do 64x64 (the slot that is). There are, I believe, some USB inputs.

So, with a pair of 16ch stage boxes, you could still use 8 local inputs for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Foster

« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »

By default, channels 33-40 are set to obtain signal from the USB card return.  I can't recall off hand, but I think the USB returns mapped to the channels are USB channels 1-8.  Though they may be different between the TF3 and TF5.  There's a chart somewhere that shows it.  Eventually, those channels should be accessible from the Dante network from what I was told.  Alternately, you can change those channels to duplicate signal from the onboard mic pres.  (inputs 1-8 on the TF5 or 9-16 on the TF3).

The stereo inputs have their own dedicated channels and don't fill up any of the 33-40 channels.  If you want the stereo channels on faders, you need to use the custom fader layer for that.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

John Brearton

• The Right Sound Co.
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2015, 02:32:40 PM »

By default, channels 33-40 are set to obtain signal from the USB card return.  I can't recall off hand, but I think the USB returns mapped to the channels are USB channels 1-8.

So you could use any 8 ch USB pre I/O to use all 40 input channels?

Jeff Foster

« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »

So you could use any 8 ch USB pre I/O to use all 40 input channels?

Not exactly.  You can use those 8 channels for playback from a computer host connected via USB, but you can't go buy an 8 channel USB recording interface and connect it to add 8 more preamps.  The mixer itself is a USB recording interface and needs to connect to a host computer just like any other recording interface.  If you tried to connect a recording interface to the mixer (another recording interface), then you just have two slave devices and no host device.  They wouldn't be able to talk to each other.

Theoretically, you could add an 8 channel recording interface to the same computer that the TF mixer connects to.  Then set up your DAW to route the incoming audio from the 8 channel rack unit to the return channels going back to the TF mixer.  That would technically give you 8 more mic preamps - supposing your computer can have two separate recording interface drivers active simultaneously (which would be rare by itself).  Even if you could get that to work, you would then have to calculate the total latency through the host computer.  It would very likely be far too high to be usable.

All that said, if you really need 40 mic inputs simultaneously, and can't wait until next year when the Dante card comes out, then maybe the TF isn't the mixer for you.  In fact, I'd just flat out say that if you need 40 mic inputs, you need to look at something else since channels 33-40 are limited in DSP anyway.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

David Flower

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »

For theater use, I normally leave the channel on/off button "scene safe", to be used in the event one of the lav mics acts up - turn off that channel while waiting for the mic wranglers to fix it, and being scene safe keeps it off when the next scene is recalled as the show continues. This board has the on/off button and the channel fader on the same scene safe. Posted a request to Yamaha to separate the fader and on/off button. So far the only issue I have found...

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »

Looks like Yamaha is finally replacing the LS9 level mixer
And they did iPad and iPhone apps (10 users!)
http://yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/product_detail.php?prodID=1167

Has anyone heard the map on the stage box yet? I'm seriously considering the TF5 but want to know what the Tios and Dante card will cost before deciding.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »

Has anyone heard the map on the stage box yet? I'm seriously considering the TF5 but want to know what the Tios and Dante card will cost before deciding.

NAMM  is a month away.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »

I saw the area Yamaha rep at a mini trade show thing and he said not at NAMM but before NAB ...

Philip

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »

The older Dante cards were in the area of $500 for the Yamaha. The one for A&H was about $1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.